The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The way this college basketball season has gone I fully expect San Diego State to be undefeated at the Final Four and threatening the 76 team.

Maybe but I doubt it. I don't think they have been tested enough. Obviously early on in the season some but when you go months without playing really really good competition...it will bite them.

I don't even want to think about filling out my bracket. I bet this year has the most upsets seed wise ever. Neutral floor....who knows!!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Maybe but I doubt it. I don't think they have been tested enough. Obviously early on in the season some but when you go months without playing really really good competition...it will bite them.

I don't even want to think about filling out my bracket. I bet this year has the most upsets seed wise ever. Neutral floor....who knows!!

If they get a 1 seed I can see a 8/9 beating them in the 2nd round.

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Auburn up 16-0 on Bama right now.  Why we won’t throw the vault at Pearl after this season is beyond belief.

You know, I’ve been saying the same thing to myself for the last 18 months. My wife is an Auburn grad and my 9yr old boys are big AU hoops fans now (which really irks me because we had an agreement... IU hoops and AU football). But I digress. Point is, tonight I thought, why do people think Pearl is so Shady? So I found this article and I’m not so sure I want him anywhere eat Bloomington now. Furthermore, I don’t think he’d ever be given the chance. 
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/4/18295241/bruce-pearl-final-four-timeline-infractions-auburn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations

9 hours ago, Zville Hoosier said:

You know, I’ve been saying the same thing to myself for the last 18 months. My wife is an Auburn grad and my 9yr old boys are big AU hoops fans now (which really irks me because we had an agreement... IU hoops and AU football). But I digress. Point is, tonight I thought, why do people think Pearl is so Shady? So I found this article and I’m not so sure I want him anywhere eat Bloomington now. Furthermore, I don’t think he’d ever be given the chance. 
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/4/18295241/bruce-pearl-final-four-timeline-infractions-auburn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations

As a basketball coach he would be great here but it is all the off the court stuff that will prevent him from coaching here.  I would not want him here at IU and I would think a lot of the long time Hoosiers wouldn't either.  It is the win at any cost crowd that is wanting pear here because they don't care about integrity.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As a basketball coach he would be great here but it is all the off the court stuff that will prevent him from coaching here.  I would not want him here at IU and I would think a lot of the long time Hoosiers wouldn't either.  It is the win at any cost crowd that is wanting pear here because they don't care about integrity.

I feel that most of his transgressions have been petty but the issue at Auburn does concern me.  But I haven't seen any HC's get fired over the FBI probe.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I feel that most of his transgressions have been petty but the issue at Auburn does concern me.  But I haven't seen any HC's get fired over the FBI probe.

I heard someone on the radio talk that he even had some shady stuff while he was at USI.  I think the problem at UT was that he tried to cover up the problem and not the sanction itself.

58 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know...

"In a tearful news conference on Sept. 10, Pearl acknowledged that he had given investigators false information when asked about a cookout at his home attended by high school juniors. Pearl was charged with unethical conduct by the NCAA for misleading investigators and the NCAA has since charged the Tennessee basketball and football programs with a dozen violations.

However, failing to notify Tennessee of another possible recruiting violation that occurred just four days after the tearful news conference may have ultimately caused Pearl to lose the support of his bosses."

He's a greaseball...

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I finally read that article that was linked and can't believe anyone would want him here at IU.

I felt the same way. I always thought it was just one or two small things and would love to have him here but after reading that, no way. And I’m going to make sure my boys know he’s a slime ball too so they stop liking Auburn! 😜

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...

"In a tearful news conference on Sept. 10, Pearl acknowledged that he had given investigators false information when asked about a cookout at his home attended by high school juniors. Pearl was charged with unethical conduct by the NCAA for misleading investigators and the NCAA has since charged the Tennessee basketball and football programs with a dozen violations.

However, failing to notify Tennessee of another possible recruiting violation that occurred just four days after the tearful news conference may have ultimately caused Pearl to lose the support of his bosses."

He's a greaseball...

I go back to his comment regarding Chuck Person/FBI investigation. A politician would call this plausible deniability.

"It was difficult," Pearl acknowledged, "but I knew all that I knew and I knew all that I didn't know. So therefore, I was comfortable that if we stayed the course, we were going to be fine."

I compare Bruce Pearl to Larry Brown.  I think that is a fair comp at the college level although Larry's accomplishments are much more.  They both win wherever they go...but they always have a dark cloud over them and one on the horizon.  But I got to admit this is Bruce's 5th school where as Larry only did it at 3.  Neither learn from their mistakes or misdeeds.  They seem to think they will do it better the next time and not get caught.  Never giving any thought that they are under a microscope.

Signed, 

Bill Self

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I compare Bruce Pearl to Larry Brown.  I think that is a fair comp at the college level although Larry's accomplishments are much more.  They both win wherever they go...but they always have a dark cloud over them and one on the horizon.  But I got to admit this is Bruce's 5th school where as Larry only did it at 3.  Neither learn from their mistakes or misdeeds.  They seem to think they will do it better the next time and not get caught.  Never giving any thought that they are under a microscope.

Signed, 

Bill Self

Nice one, Rico.  😄👍

In 2 years when players are getting paid no one is going to give 2 craps about Pearls past besides good ole Indiana and our false sense of moral superiority.  And we like to say the admin runs a Lamborghini like a mid major.  

I noticed no one mentioned the lashing the national media gave us for our welcoming of Knight back in the fold?   They didn't have a good thing to say about knight except that he won a lot.  Guess that heals all wounds.   Not saying i agree and there is a lot more to it that they left out.  But our former coach was a bully jerk at best.  Just because he didn't cheat by today's standards doesn't hold iu in basketball moral superiority.  

Questioning whether to send this.  Here it goes.  Sorry not sorry.  

All this is also why not one of the coaches mentioned in the fbi stuff has been fired besides assistants.  

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

In 2 years when players are getting paid no one is going to give 2 craps about Pearls past besides good ole Indiana and our false sense of moral superiority.  And we like to say the admin runs a Lamborghini like a mid major.  

I noticed no one mentioned the lashing the national media gave us for our welcoming of Knight back in the fold?   They didn't have a good thing to say about knight except that he won a lot.  Guess that heals all wounds.   Not saying i agree and there is a lot more to it that they left out.  But our former coach was a bully jerk at best.  Just because he didn't cheat by today's standards doesn't hold iu in basketball moral superiority.  

Questioning whether to send this.  Here it goes.  Sorry not sorry.  

All this is also why not one of the coaches mentioned in the fbi stuff has been fired besides assistants.  

He also never cheated to win and did a lot of fund raising for many projects.  also these guys are not going to be getting paid a salary like some of you are making it out to be.  This money is not going to be coming from the university but from sponsorships and there will still be limitations on this money.

Archived