The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...when I was a kid, I pretty much rooted for the same teams my father did...it was 10 years in before I ever saw IU win a tournament game (they went in 67, but got beat in the 1st round...still one of my favorite teams)...

Maybe it is different now days, and maybe you're right in some ways...but I'll never stop watching and pulling for IU. 

And neither will I — at least I can’t picture myself doing that.  I come at it from somewhat of a different perspective, as it was seven straight years at IU from 2010-2017 that turned me into a diehard.  I got to campus not really understanding what it was all about, and my first game was behind the basket at Assembly Hall for Crean’s first win over a ranked team (#20 Illinois).  That was an experience I’ll never forget, and then the back-to-back Sweet 16s in my sophomore and junior years really cemented it for me.

I think about the current seniors at IU who are similar to me.  They’ve suffered through the worst four-year stretch of IU basketball in the last 50 years.  Tough to develop a real passion for it when you haven’t seen what the program is at its best.  That’s what I mean by Archie doing long-term damage to the program.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And neither will I — at least I can’t picture myself doing that.  I come at it from somewhat of a different perspective, as it was seven straight years at IU from 2010-2017 that turned me into a diehard.  I got to campus not really understanding what it was all about, and my first game was behind the basket at Assembly Hall for Crean’s first win over a ranked team (#20 Illinois).  That was an experience I’ll never forget, and then the back-to-back Sweet 16s in my sophomore and junior years really cemented it for me.

I think about the current seniors at IU who are similar to me.  They’ve suffered through the worst four-year stretch of IU basketball in the last 50 years.  Tough to develop a real passion for it when you haven’t seen what the program is at its best.  That’s what I mean by Archie doing long-term damage to the program.

Sometimes growth is painful. Imagine pruning a plant. It may not look like it now in the midst of this but maybe this is where the rubber meets the road in turning around this program...I wonder if we are just looking at the program through the knothole...and so much else is going on that is out of our view. I'm choosing to be positive because I like Archie and I like so much about what he says and I think that if given the right tools and time he will turn this program into a success. We will look back at this as those hard years....like what Coach K talked about during that reunion special of laying the foundation for a great programs success. That is my hope at least. I don't want to pull out the rug too soon and start over with another talented coach that has to start another rebuild and get to year 3,4,5 and have the same questions likely.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sometimes growth is painful. Imagine pruning a plant. It may not look like it now in the midst of this but maybe this is where the rubber meets the road in turning around this program...I wonder if we are just looking at the program through the knothole...and so much else is going on that is out of our view. I'm choosing to be positive because I like Archie and I like so much about what he says and I think that if given the right tools and time he will turn this program into a success. We will look back at this as those hard years....like what Coach K talked about during that reunion special of laying the foundation for a great programs success. That is my hope at least. I don't want to pull out the rug too soon and start over with another talented coach that has to start another rebuild and get to year 3,4,5 and have the same questions likely.

Yeah, I just don’t see any reason for optimism that this will get turned around (I’m admittedly pretty pessimistic by nature, so take it for what’s it worth).  The recruiting is mediocre, the system is flawed on both ends of the floor, and he’s shown absolutely no ability to adapt to his personnel or even motivate the players to play hard.  Three years in, I see absolutely no signs that this program is being developed into one that can consistently compete at the top of the conference and make deep tournament runs.

And that’s where the lowered expectations come in.  The fanbase had visions of returning to elite status when we fired Crean, and now I’d say the majority of us would be ecstatic just to get back to the level of success he had.  If this is allowed to continue much longer, that lowered ceiling becomes permanent.  Like I said, I’m worried it already is.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I still remember watching the Class that saved coach K and the fans reaction after his 3rd year at Duke.  They were irate and wanted him gone and actually hated the hire from day 1.  Would love to see what the fans were saying at UM in Belein's first 4 years or what Villanova's fans reactions were of Jay Wright early on.

55 minutes ago, rico said:

Tough loss for Butler.

Duke gets beat by 22?

The NC State win over Duke puts them pretty much in the same position as us.  It'll be interesting to see the NET today to see if we move in front of them.

The Wolfpack still has some tough games left(Florida St, @Unc and @ Duke) but I'd say they will be in the Dance.

Go Hoosiers!!!

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Never understood a fanbase that makes fun of a coach for clapping. 

We make fun of clapping  and diet coke and crazy baggy pants and gum chewing.  Because those things are what's really important not the on court stuff. I will criticize things coaches do or dont do in regards to play but we do fixate on some pretty dumb things 

I think it should start to soak in !!! College hoops this season is so hard to predict !!! Facts still are facts ! Pee yew is now 14&13 overall and 7&10 in conference games !!! They (pee yew fans ) act like they have just won the NCAA Tournament because they beat the Hoosiers ! I'll take IU's 5 real NCAA Chamoinships ! Muck Purdue !

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Coach K  calling out his players saying they are just not a competitive group and play with no hunger. Saying this is not an Xbox game but played by human beings.  I did not get the context of it but it was on the scroll on ESPN.

Sounds like Duke needs a Student Athlete Bill of Rights  :coffee:

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Coach K  calling out his players saying they are just not a competitive group and play with no hunger. Saying this is not an Xbox game but played by human beings.  I did not get the context of it but it was on the scroll on ESPN.

There is a lot of RMK in Coach K only difference he hides it better and Knight wore his as a badge of honor. ESPN protects K and profited off exposing Knights.

I have a great pic of Coack Knight and Coach K at Army . At a coaches conference in Vegas Coach K autographed it for me and when I took it to Coach he said hell no. He was still ticked at K. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is a lot of RMK in Coach K only difference he hides it better and Knight wore his as a badge of honor. ESPN protects K and profited off exposing Knights.

I have a great pic of Coack Knight and Coach K at Army . At a coaches conference in Vegas Coach K autographed it for me and when I took it to Coach he said hell no. He was still ticked at K. 

Did coach Knight ever express his feelings about TV Ted?  I've resented that dirtbag ever since the 92 final four game. 

34 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

NET rankings are updated.  Smh Check these moves out:

IU #59 from 63.

Minny #53 from 44.

NC State #52 from 60.

Duke #6 no movement.

Butler #18 from #19.

Purdue  #32 from 33.

I realize there are lots of factors at play but come on.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

How in the world can a team be 12-13 and play in the same conference as a 17-9 and be ranked higher.  Like I said let humans tell you who is the better and more qualified teams.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

How in the world can a team be 12-13 and play in the same conference as a 17-9 and be ranked higher.  Like I said let humans tell you who is the better and more qualified teams.

I guess we should be happy they are high.  It gave us a better win.  Lol  Just be glad the NET is only one tool used to select teams.

That Minny ranking is puzzling.  They've lost 5 of their last 6 games.  I went back and found they were #43 before their loss to Michigan St.  So a 1-5 record has only dropped them 10 spots.  That just makes zero sense.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like the same thing IU has struggled with at times this year.

If I were recruiting for IU, high on my list of qualities I'd look for in recruits is players that HATE to lose and ESPECIALLY hate losing to Turdue.  Motivated players have a huge leg up on soft/passive players.  IU has looked soft as Charmin at times this year.  I hope they really found their edge last night and can keep that edge.  If they do, good things are coming.

Archived