The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Besides Utah St (who might have gotten in anyway) have there been any bid stealers yet?

Maybe Bradley?  They won the MVC tourney...Northern Iowa could get an at-large, although most experts think not.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone hear Vitale go off on Archie last night saying he should be worried about his team not being mediocre rather than blasting Lunardi.  He also stated that if you can't be over .500 in conference you are mediocre and should not be in over teams that shows excellence.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did anyone hear Vitale go off on Archie last night saying he should be worried about his team not being mediocre rather than blasting Lunardi.  He also stated that if you can't be over .500 in conference you are mediocre and should not be in over teams that shows excellence.

No, but it doesn't surprise me...the media circles the wagon like no others when they feel one of their own has suffered insult...

Wonder why Dickie dummied up when RMK use to go off...oh, yeah...I know...

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Vitale is off his rocker and deserves the Sesame Street moniker right next to Lunardi. There are multiple teams every year that finish under .500 in the B10/ACC/etc that end up being worthy of the tournament. Many of them even win games once they get there (OSU - 2019). Playing 18-20 conference games against opponents as difficult as any game played by a mid-major is not a reason to punish the Power 5 school.

If this is what qualifies for "excellence" over proven Power 5 schools, then college basketball has lost its mind.

image.thumb.png.b12fed1d48a2e5a7d3d510b9f2e3eb8c.png

image.thumb.png.be4d667cecfbc2cde1eeec5248b446f7.png

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't hear it.   Sounds like he's just supporting the team(ESPN).   Wonder what he classifies as a team that shows excellence.  I would agree that we are mediocre but to say we aren't more deserving than others with wins over nobody's is stupid.

Go Hoosiers!!!

6 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

Vitale is off his rocker and deserves the Sesame Street moniker right next to Lunardi. There are multiple teams every year that finish under .500 in the B10/ACC/etc that end up being worthy of the tournament. Many of them even win games once they get there (OSU - 2019). Playing 18-20 conference games against opponents as difficult as any game played by a mid-major is not a reason to punish the Power 5 school.

If this is what qualifies for "excellence" over proven Power 5 schools, then college basketball has lost its mind.

image.thumb.png.b12fed1d48a2e5a7d3d510b9f2e3eb8c.png

image.thumb.png.be4d667cecfbc2cde1eeec5248b446f7.png

One of the team he mentioned was N. Iowa

One thing that irks me... "if you go below .500 in your conference you shouldn't be allowed in "...... Like that's not a rule, that's not just some black/white area. If it were predetermined factor to get into the tourney, ok. But, it's not. Certainly I would have preferred to have had a winning record vs. our league, but in all likelihood we will be 10-12 vs. B1G teams and then 3-1... so 13-13 vs. teams that are in the Power 6 conferences. 

Most years I have felt that there are some very strong cases for mid majors getting some extra bids over mediocre power 5 conferences but this year...honestly the basketball has been poor across the board and I see the same warts from most of the other conferences as the power ones. In this instance I have to go with teams that have proven they can beat other teams in the tournament. For example....N. Iowa. They haven't won a game against a top 100 team since before Christmas. You expect me to put them in the tournament over a team like say Indiana or Michigan who have mediocre records but have shown on multiple occasions they can beat some of the best teams in the country (both with wins over top 10 teams among other strong wins)? Going to be a hard sell for me.

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

One thing that irks me... "if you go below .500 in your conference you shouldn't be allowed in "...... Like that's not a rule, that's not just some black/white area. If it were predetermined factor to get into the tourney, ok. But, it's not. Certainly I would have preferred to have had a winning record vs. our league, but in all likelihood we will be 10-12 vs. B1G teams and then 3-1... so 13-13 vs. teams that are in the Power 6 conferences. 

Agreed. You want me to believe N. Iowa or E. Tenn. St. or heck Houston is going to go above 500 in the B1G??? Laughable. I think Dayton as good as they are would struggle to be much more than a game or two above 500 in the B1G and I think Dayton is nice team.

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I agree.

The tourney slots should first be filled with the “auto-bids” and then with the best teams period...irrespective if those teams were just above or below .500 in their conference.

I think part of the mid-major “what about us” complaints are unfounded as the tourney is already open to everyone, just win your conference tourney.  Every single year teams from podunk conferences, which are clearly not in the top 68, get into the tourney. Ie, they already have their chance to participate. They should be glad their conferences get automatics bids.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

I agree.

The tourney slots should first be filled with the “auto-bids” and then with the best teams period...irrespective if those teams were just above or below .500 in their conference.

I think part of the mid-major “what about us” complaints are unfounded as the tourney is already open to everyone, just win your conference tourney.  Every single year teams from podunk conferences, which are clearly not in the top 68, get into the tourney. Ie, they already have their chance to participate. They should be glad their conferences get automatics bids.

For me at least if they ever stopped giving automatic bids to the smaller conferences it would ruin the tournament for me.

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

What happen in Chapel Hill...19 losses and their season done..😂..has that ever happened to Ole Roy before?

If you thought Hoiberg looked bad you should have seen Ol' Roy last night.   He was visibly ill.  He was sick of seeing his "least talented" team ever suck. Lol  

I'm guessing he's on the phone with the NCAA this morning encouraging them to cancel the tournament.  That way he can say he didn't miss the dance.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

If you thought Hoiberg looked bad you should have seen Ol' Roy last night.   He was visibly ill.  He was sick of seeing his "least talented" team ever suck. Lol  

I'm guessing he's on the phone with the NCAA this morning encouraging them to cancel the tournament.  That way he can say he didn't miss the dance.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I bet Tar Heel fans are happy the season are over.

Archived