The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the first of many cases such as this. Will cause an even greater competitiveness gap between the "rich" athletic departments and the rest.

Iowa State is implementing a number of budgetary cuts to account for a $5 million shortfall created by the cancellation of the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments due to the coronavirus pandemic, athletic director Jamie Pollard said in a letter to fans published Wednesday.

In the letter, Pollard said the athletic department will address the shortfall mostly through "temporary," one-year pay cuts for coaches and some staffers and the elimination of bonuses and incentives for all coaches.

Other Power 5 programs could follow the Cyclones with pay cuts. While the postseason cancellations are projected to hurt non-Power 5 schools more than their richer peers, Iowa State's acknowledgement suggests that the big-budget programs could struggle financially, too.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28983662/iowa-state-says-canceling-big-12-ncaa-tournaments-force-pay-cuts

17 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Probably the first of many cases such as this. Will cause an even greater competitiveness gap between the "rich" athletic departments and the rest.

Iowa State is implementing a number of budgetary cuts to account for a $5 million shortfall created by the cancellation of the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments due to the coronavirus pandemic, athletic director Jamie Pollard said in a letter to fans published Wednesday.

In the letter, Pollard said the athletic department will address the shortfall mostly through "temporary," one-year pay cuts for coaches and some staffers and the elimination of bonuses and incentives for all coaches.

Other Power 5 programs could follow the Cyclones with pay cuts. While the postseason cancellations are projected to hurt non-Power 5 schools more than their richer peers, Iowa State's acknowledgement suggests that the big-budget programs could struggle financially, too.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28983662/iowa-state-says-canceling-big-12-ncaa-tournaments-force-pay-cuts

I wonder how IU is sitting?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Considering the amount of $ each school gets from BTN....IU better not cite or claim poverty/shortfalls. Even if they do (which I highly doubt).....we better not hear about it. 

Not trying to be argumentative but do you assume that BTN revenues will continue uninterrupted during the Covid crisis?

16 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Not trying to be argumentative but do you assume that BTN revenues will continue uninterrupted during the Covid crisis?

Good question and since most of the BTN $ sports (football and basketball minus the BT Tourney) were completed I don't see how anything would change. Every network has contingency, insurance plans in place for catastrophes. There might be a little difference in distribution but I wouldn't see a big one. Now if football season is delayed or whatever this upcoming season? Yes...I could see distribution ramifications next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived