The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, rico said:

I was born in '67...a tad before my time. 

It was a Cinderella run...they won the region by beating 3 teams by a combined 8 points, then handed Dean Smith the first of his many disappointments (UNC went 3 years in a row from 67-69 losing each time...including Purdue in the 69 semis) in the Final 4 before he won it in 82...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

It was a Cinderella run...they won the region by beating 3 teams by a combined 8 points, then handed Dean Smith the first of his many disappointments (UNC went 3 years in a row from 67-69 losing each time...including Purdue in the 69 semis) in the Final 4 before he won it in 82...

Damn young man you are on it!  I love students of the game.  Thank you.

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Don Donoher was the head coach.  Think he was pretty good friends with RMK, as I recall.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Dayton is the interesting one.  Their non-con, to me, just doesn't measure up with being a #1.  They beat UGA, and Va Tech, but lost at home to Colorado.  They also have a win over St. Mary's.  But against the other schools in the conversation for a #1, meh.  But the A-10 is a dang fine conference and thus far they are undefeated in it, so that says something.  

Yep if they run the table and win their tournament they'll be real hard to keep out of the number one line

On 2/23/2020 at 6:19 AM, rico said:

On 2/23/2020 at 6:19 AM, rico said:

Oh, and the UCLA Golden Cronins dispatch Colorado.

Yeah.  Some teams just seem to have the other teams number. Some call it matchup.   IU fans unfortunately know that.  Currently Colorado stands at 21-7, and is number 18 in NET.  Two sets of figures, I trust IU fans would love to switch places with.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And to bring this full circle, here's Donoher talking about Coach Miller...I think Donoher is where RMK got his perspective on CAM too...

So what credibility does Donoher have. Everyone wins at Dayton. Fortunate for him he stayed at Dayton 25 years, so people didn't learn what a poor coach he really was. :coffee:

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Didn't Hosket play for the Knicks in the NBA?

Yes, he did.  Played from 1968-72 for Knicks and Buffalo.  His dad played on three consecutive state championship teams for Dayton Stivers from 1928-30.  He also played at OSU.  Just found this digging around online.  I remember that Dayton Belmont team.  They were really exceptional.  Only lost one game in 1964.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I appreciate it when you guys share your first hand recollections from the past.  The first year I have good memories of would be 1975 and then I was off to the races.  

Yep, I remember the most trivial things about sports from 50 years back...

But don't ask me what I was doing 5 minutes ago...

6 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Yes, he did.  Played from 1968-72 for Knicks and Buffalo.  His dad played on three consecutive state championship teams for Dayton Stivers from 1928-30.  He also played at OSU.  Just found this digging around online.  I remember that Dayton Belmont team.  They were really exceptional.  Only lost one game in 1964.

You must be an old school Daytonian?

2 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

You must be an old school Daytonian?

Nah, I'm from Cincy.  I just found some of the details while looking up info on Dayton Belmont.  I was in junior high when they won the championship.  Ohio had a two class tournament and my high school made it to the regional semi-finals and lost by 2 pts.  Had they won we would have played Belmont, who pretty much cruised to the championship.  I think they beat the two teams they faced in the state semi's and finals by 20+.  

Archived