The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

20 minutes ago, rico said:

The Lunardi stuff is moot...we are 9-10 right now, win and that be .500.

The Boilers have the same deal.

You bring up a good point. I didn't see his segment, but from what I've read Lunardi was arguing that IU shouldn't be in the tournament with an under .500 conference record, but he had IU as a 10 seed because he knows he has to have IU in right now because the committee doesn't subscribe to that theory. So, he basically admitted that he has IU undervalued because of a made up bias that he has. 

So, the question is, if IU wins Saturday does he then readjust and properly seed where he has IU? I would think he'd move IU up for beating Wisconsin alone, but shouldn't there be an even larger bump up in his bracket due to already having IU underseeded? 

I'm probably over analyzing this, but hey what else to do we have to discuss?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I understand that as well, but right now we're kind of discussing the narrative and in my opinion the narrative that IU is somehow on the bubble (as of this moment) is in accurate, but it's being pushed by the bracketologist with the loudest, albeit inaccurate (though the general fans/media don't know that) voice. 

Totally agree but if you look at bracketmatrix.com they have a composite of every bracketologist and right now our average seed is 9.74.  That shows most think we are comfortably in as of now.

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You bring up a good point. I didn't see his segment, but from what I've read Lunardi was arguing that IU shouldn't be in the tournament with an under .500 conference record, but he had IU as a 10 seed because he knows he has to have IU in right now because the committee doesn't subscribe to that theory. So, he basically admitted that he has IU undervalued because of a made up bias that he has. 

So, the question is, if IU wins Saturday does he then readjust and properly seed where he has IU? I would think he'd move IU up for beating Wisconsin alone, but shouldn't there be an even larger bump up in his bracket due to already having IU underseeded? 

I'm probably over analyzing this, but hey what else to do we have to discuss?

I don't watch the idiot period.  But from what Scott says, Joe makes no sense.  Both teams have a home game left.  Both can/should end up .500.  

With that being said, Jugglin' Joe better be ready to be in the circus.  IU is in some interesting territory as far as seeding if we make a deep BTT run.  Beat Bucky and get to the semis and watch what unfolds around the country.  But I would surmise that our ceiling is higher regarding seeding as far as what smokin' Joe has us at.  Hell, win the BTT and we could get a 4.

Purdue is a different case as they are playing for their tournament lives.  Beat Rutgers, win 2 in the BTT and I think they are in.  Hell, beating Rutgers and 1 BTT win might get them in.  

Lunardi is just anti-B1G...pure and simple.  And he is whining and pouting about his precious Hawks.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree but if you look at bracketmatrix.com they have a composite of every bracketologist and right now our average seed is 9.74.  That shows most think we are comfortably in as of now.

Because we are. Maybe just me I guess. We win tomorrow and win a couple next week we move up to probably 8. We lose tomorrow and win one next week we're still 9/10. We lose tomorrow and lose first game in BTT I still think we're an 11 seed or play in game. I don't see a scenario where we are left out at all. Rabby just tweeted we have the 4th most wins in country over ranked teams I think was the stat. We have 1 technically bad loss (home to Arkansas). 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Because we are. Maybe just me I guess. We win tomorrow and win a couple next week we move up to probably 8. We lose tomorrow and win one next week we're still 9/10. We lose tomorrow and lose first game in BTT I still think we're an 11 seed or play in game. I don't see a scenario where we are left out at all. Rabby just tweeted we have the 4th most wins in country over ranked teams I think was the stat. We have 1 technically bad loss (home to Arkansas). 

I think if we win tomorrow and win 2 games in the BTT we may see a 6-7 seed.  I know we always stink it up in the BTT but our path (last time I looked) was favorable because we wouldn’t have to play PU, MSU, or Wisky until the finals.  

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

the only way not getting in would be if there are a lot of teams winning conference tournaments who were not going to get in as an at large bid.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Arky is 19-11 and #43 in the NET....

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

His whole theory is so idiotic. He says if you don't go .500 in conference you should have to win 2 conf tournament games. So Joe...using this approach you would choose to reward a weaker team from a weaker P5 conference (PAC 12, ACC, BIg 12,etc..) because they had more bottom feeder teams to get the .500 record? 

If he is focused on IU and Purdue, he clearly is biased against B1G. He has Marquette as a 7 seed. They are 8-9 in Big East, 18-11 overall and just lost to DePaul. He has W Virginia as an 8 seed. They are 8-9 in the Big 12, have lost 6 0f 8, with only recent wins over IA ST & OK St. He has OK &  Xavier in with losing conference records.

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If he is focused on IU and Purdue, he clearly is biased against B1G. He has Marquette as a 7 seed. They are 8-9 in Big East, 18-11 overall and just lost to DePaul. He has W Virginia as an 8 seed. They are 8-9 in the Big 12, have lost 6 0f 8, with only recent wins over IA ST & OK St. He has OK &  Xavier in with losing conference records.

Exactly. Just once this weekend I'd love for someone nationally just to ask Lunardi (maybe Sage could) to explain his thinking of just these 2 teams and examples. Not the other 4-5 that would make as much sense as well. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

really don't have to worry about what other people's criteria,  just the selection committee.

True but you think members of the committee don't watch ESPN?    Sure they come up with their own decisions but they can be influenced by what others are preaching.

I still say we win one more and we are solidly in.   2 losses though is bubble territory.    I do worry that the committee might not be to keen on sending 10 or 11 from the B1G.   The number from one conference shouldn't matter but it is the NCAA.

Go Hoosiers!!!

5 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

True but you think members of the committee don't watch ESPN?    Sure they come up with their own decisions but they can be influenced by what others are preaching.

I still say we win one more and we are solidly in.   2 losses though is bubble territory.    I do worry that the committee might not be to keen on sending 10 or 11 from the B1G.   The number from one conference shouldn't matter but it is the NCAA.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I really doubt that the committee really cares what a hack like Lunardi thinks should happen.  Also they never talk about conference affiliation in the committee room.  They say each team is an independent contractor so they don't look where they finished in their conference.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I really doubt that the committee really cares what a hack like Lunardi thinks should happen.  Also they never talk about conference affiliation in the committee room.  They say each team is an independent contractor so they don't look where they finished in their conference.

None of us knows what goes on in that room.  Just because "they say" they don't look at conference affiliation doesn't mean they don't think about it.   Just look at what they always do with pairing teams to meet.   It's no coincidence that we always seem to face UK early.   The committee is not perfect and they often  do leave out teams and put teams in that aren't as deserving.  Didn't you the other day say how the committee should be made up of experts instead of what they do now?

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

None of us knows what goes on in that room.  Just because "they say" they don't look at conference affiliation doesn't mean they don't think about it.   Just look at what they always do with pairing teams to meet.   It's no coincidence that we always seem to face UK early.   The committee is not perfect and they often  do leave out teams and put teams in that aren't as deserving.  Didn't you the other day say how the committee should be made up of experts instead of what they do now?

Go Hoosiers!!!

yes I did but it had more to do with that I want teams selected by the eye test more than analytics.  Also we are not always up against UK early besides  2012 and 2016 the only other time off the top of my head that we played them was in 83

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Allot of the selection comes down to what is good and what is bad basketball.  If we're on the bubble and play crap basketball the last two games and lose I wouldn't be surprised if they push us out.  They want to sell tickets and get viewership.  Crap basketball doesn't draw that

From what I've watched this year in college basketball, if that's the criteria, they would have a four team tournament.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

yes I did but it had more to do with that I want teams selected by the eye test more than analytics.  Also we are not always up against UK early besides  2012 and 2016 the only other time off the top of my head that we played them was in 83

UK was just one example.  There are countless other examples of the committee having matched teams early to face rivals and former coaches.   It's all about filling arenas and making money when it comes down to it.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Just now, Indy1987 said:

UK was just one example.  There are countless other examples of the committee having matched teams early to face rivals and former coaches.   It's all about filling arenas and making money when it comes down to it.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I don't believe that because I have heard to many people who went through the mock process say that is not true at all.

Surprised no one has brought up Northern Iowa getting smoked by Drake today. Assuming Northern Iowa still gets an at large the bubble just removed a team. PS...Northern Iowa beat Drake last Saturday at their house by 27 I think. Crazy stuff. 

Edit-Actually the more I think about it I think Northern Iowa won't get an at large.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Surprised no one has brought up Northern Iowa getting smoked by Drake today. Assuming Northern Iowa still gets an at large the bubble just removed a team. PS...Northern Iowa beat Drake last Saturday at their house by 27 I think. Crazy stuff. 

Edit-Actually the more I think about it I think Northern Iowa won't get an at large.

Didn't Northern Iowa beat Colorado this year?

Archived