The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

36 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Eh, it’s not Glass’s fault that the staff didn’t recognize Henry was a far better prospect than Anderson.  But hindsight’s 20/20... Hopefully Anderson provides about as much value in 4 years as Henry does in 2-3.

None of the national experts recognized it either. Take a look back at where Henry was ranked. He wasn't considered a special talent...just a solid ball player at roughly Anderson's level. Much like Franklin and Newman, he was given the chance to commit first. I don't remember anyone at the time thinking that was a mistake on IU's part.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not how it happen because all 3 had offers and they were recruiting them all hard.  Henry had his chance but Hunter and Anderson committed first. Henry's dad said that the offer still was there but after those two committed they did not hear that much from the coaching staff.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was an either/or like Newman and Franklin and I still think it mostly was but that adds some interesting detail to the process.  Sounds like they were telling him they weren't nearly as interested after Damezi committed. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Did anyone see the quote from Crean about Aaron Henry over on Inside the Hall?  Lol.  Someone posted it on the Rivals board.  He's truly the most delusional man ever.

Tom's delusional...here's a small example of why the man is not popular among his peers. He didn't get a meaningful recruit out of the state of Indiana his last 3 recruiting cycles...Sorry Grant Gelon

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

None of the national experts recognized it either. Take a look back at where Henry was ranked. He wasn't considered a special talent...just a solid ball player at roughly Anderson's level. Much like Franklin and Newman, he was given the chance to commit first. I don't remember anyone at the time thinking that was a mistake on IU's part.

Sure, and like I said, hindsight is 20/20.  But as everyone here also likes to say, “the rankings don’t matter.”  It’s a matter of talent evaluation by the staff.  In retrospect, Henry definitely should have been prioritized over Anderson, regardless of their rankings.

But it’s water under the bridge now, and like I said, there’s still a chance that 4 years of Anderson is about as good as 2-3 years of Henry.

33 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Sure, and like I said, hindsight is 20/20.  But as everyone here also likes to say, “the rankings don’t matter.”  It’s a matter of talent evaluation by the staff.  In retrospect, Henry definitely should have been prioritized over Anderson, regardless of their rankings.

But it’s water under the bridge now, and like I said, there’s still a chance that 4 years of Anderson is about as good as 2-3 years of Henry.

I'd also give Archie a pass since that was his first class. He didn't have as much time to evaluate new prospects on the radar.

...as you said, water under the bridge now...

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He’s always lacked self awareness 

42 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Tom's delusional...here's a small example of why the man is not popular among his peers. He didn't get a meaningful recruit out of the state of Indiana his last 3 recruiting cycles...Sorry Grant Gelon

Someone should’ve rattled off all the talent he let leave the state the last few year at IU and ask him why he didn’t land those players

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He’s always lacked self awareness 

The all time winner was 2 years ago.  UNC was playing at Syracuse and Crean was doing commentary for ESPN.  At one time during the game they went to the studio for analysis from Crean.  He then proceeded to give 3 time National title winning coach Roy Williams tips on how to beat that Syracuse zone.  I'm not joking.

18 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The all time winner was 2 years ago.  UNC was playing at Syracuse and Crean was doing commentary for ESPN.  At one time during the game they went to the studio for analysis from Crean.  He then proceeded to give 3 time National title winning coach Roy Williams tips on how to beat that Syracuse zone.  I'm not joking.

I hope the tip included not doing anything he did in ‘13. Btw I loved how Archie used Brunk against the zone on Monday.

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That's like a vegan trying to give nutrition tips to a shark. 

Archived