The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Howard is going to be a monster at Michigan.  I see them replacing State as the cream of the crop in the BIG on a yearly basis

I'll wait until Beilein's players are all gone before I break out the annointing oil, especially Xavier Simpson. 

And I've wondered since day 1 if he has success for a couple of years and the NBA comes calling, if he'd stay in Ann Arbor.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll wait until Beilein's players are all gone before I break out the annointing oil, especially Xavier Simpson. 

And I've wondered since day 1 if he has success for a couple of years and the NBA comes calling, if he'd stay in Ann Arbor.

Yeah just look at Ollie in UCONN etc. He’ll get (already started) some elite recruits, but doesn’t mean it will carry over into program success over time - very good start though 

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He may very well leave for the NBA.  Beilein definitely set Howard up nicely!  But in todays world,  I cant help but think he will have a huge advantage in recruiting.  He can give first hand advice and experience from being a top 5 draft pick, 2x NBA champion, and multi year NBA coach. In my opinion,  Howard will be much more lethal than Penny at Memphis.  I think michigan will do with Howard,  what they had hoped to do with Harbaugh 

38 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

He may very well leave for the NBA.  Beilein definitely set Howard up nicely!  But in todays world,  I cant help but think he will have a huge advantage in recruiting.  He can give first hand advice and experience from being a top 5 draft pick, 2x NBA champion, and multi year NBA coach. In my opinion,  Howard will be much more lethal than Penny at Memphis.  I think michigan will do with Howard,  what they had hoped to do with Harbaugh 

Oh, I agree that former NBA players have a hand up when recruiting 18 year old kids, but if they can't coach, it'll eventually be exposed no matter how much talent they attract. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I agree that former NBA players have a hand up when recruiting 18 year old kids, but if they can't coach, it'll eventually be exposed no matter how much talent they attract. 

Howard has a former head coach on his staff...Phil Martelli.  My guess is that he will be invaluable in many ways.  Just my opinion.  😉

15 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Howard has a former head coach in his staff...Phil Martelli.  My guess is that he will be invaluable in many ways.  Just my opinion.  😉

That was a brilliant move on Howard’s part. Getting a guy with 3 decades of experience and has been pretty damn good for the better part of those decades is what he’ll need. Some guys would have let their ego take over and want to show that they’re the man and they have all the answers. Howard basically admitted he was a first time coach and will need that consigliere type on staff. Good for him. And A strong Michigan makes for a better B10.

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

These games/performance over the last few days by Michigan did nothing to help IU in the recruitment of Kristian Lander.  

I was thinking the same thing.

I will say this about Howard...he seems very connected to the kids. He's "cool" enough (dancing with them and whatnot) that they seem to really like him, and enjoy playing for him...

That said, we've seen something similar with IU. And we all know how that turned out...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was thinking the same thing.

I will say this about Howard...he seems very connected to the kids. He's "cool" enough (dancing with them and whatnot) that they seem to really like him, and enjoy playing for him...

That said, we've seen something similar with IU. And we all know how that turned out...

If you're comparing Howard and M. Davis, I would say there are many more differences than similarities in both careers of the men and the situations each took on.  But maybe you're speaking of someone else.

9 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

If you're comparing Howard and M. Davis, I would say there are many more differences than similarities in both careers of the men and the situations each took on.  But maybe you're speaking of someone else.

No, I was thinking of MD. And while their pre-head coaching careers were certainly different, as we're the circumstances they came into, I was thinking more in how they  interacted with the players they inherited, and how they were initially able to win with them (limited sample size on Howard).

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, I was thinking of MD. And while their pre-head coaching careers were certainly different, as we're the circumstances they came into, I was thinking more in how they  interacted with the players they inherited, and how they were initially able to win with them (limited sample size on Howard).

MD and now Juwan have inherited a talented team with veterans. Similar to Bubbles over at Illinois when he took over for Self. Time will tell on Juwan but right now he's riding coattails. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

MD and now Juwan have inherited a talented team with veterans. Similar to Bubbles over at Illinois when he took over for Self. Time will tell on Juwan but right now he's riding coattails. 

Yeah...I can agree with that.  I think the chances of Howard being successful are far greater than Davis' ever were due to the differences in the situations and their pedigrees.  Those differences are huge, IMHO, both in terms of recruiting and patience/acceptance by the administration and fanbase.

53 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

These games/performance over the last few days by Michigan did nothing to help IU in the recruitment of Kristian Lander.  

For the 10000000000 time, recruits could care less about win/loss record of the schools they are looking at.

8 minutes ago, JugRox said:

For the 10000000000 time, recruits could care less about win/loss record of the schools they are looking at.

Haha...sorry...I forgot.   😋 And I was speaking more about the style of play than the fact Michigan won.   And besides, we're just talking opinions here...right??  Maybe some recruits DO care about school records.  That could be true...right??  You aren't really speaking in absolutes...are you??   😁

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Bill Self?  Now there is the biggest coattail rider of all time when it comes to HCs in CBB.  I will give him credit for his first gig at Oral Roberts but ever since he has filled a vacancy.  He took over a fine Tulsa team when Steve Robinson took the Florida St. job when Pat Kennedy left.  He left Tulsa for Illinois when Lon Kruger left.  Left Illinois for Kansas when Roy Williams left.  

Archived