The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't know if Tennessee is any good this year but they look to have lost most of their tougher games.  I could be wrong but I am still not sold on Wisconsin this year as a very good team.  I could be proven wrong so will have to wait and see

They were ranked at one point in time.  And I have no idea about Wiscy myself but they have some quality wins.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

It wasn't over night.  The only good team they played since us was OSU. They lost to Rutgers on the road right after us and didn't play anyone good until OSU.  Not saying they turned good over night.  Still not sold they are good.  Not saying we are terrible either.  

We can have different opinions on here with the need for ask the sarcasm

So here's my issue with it all...

"Terrible" to me describes a team that is going to finish well below .500. A team that has absolutely no chance against top teams, and less than 50/50 against mediocrity.

You cited their 3 losses prior to beating IU...Do you know who the 3 teams were that beat them? 11-3 Richmond, 13-3 New Mexico, and 10-3 NC State. All good teams.

So "terrible" isn't a word I would use to describe Wisky, or really any other team in the B10. Anyone can beat anyone on a given night.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So here's my issue with it all...

"Terrible" to me describes a team that is going to finish well below .500. A team that has absolutely no chance against top teams, and less than 50/50 against mediocrity.

You cited their 3 losses prior to beating IU...Do you know who the 3 teams were that beat them? 11-3 Richmond, 13-3 New Mexico, and 10-3 NC State. All good teams.

So "terrible" isn't a word I would use to describe Wisky, or really any other team in the B10. Anyone can beat anyone on a given night.

Maybe terrible is a bad m word to use.  They were not a good team at the time.  Averaging less than 50 points and losing 3 straight works indicate that have issues.  

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Maybe terrible is a bad m word to use.  They were not a good team at the time.  Averaging less than 50 points and losing 3 straight works indicate that have issues.  

And that's what is going to make this season so difficult to project. A team could be absolutely turrible...sorry, terrible for 3 games and look like the '76 Hoosiers the next 3. Saying that X beat Y doesn't mean anything without taking when X beat Y into account.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I see that like this...

Wisconsin is a methodical team that likes to play in the half court. When I watched them vs OSU last night, even when OSU put on a 2-1-2 zone press (which caught Wisky of guard at first, and led to a couple of turnovers) when Wisconsin would break it, they never attacked the rim in the transition from the press into OSU's normal defense.

At first, I thought that was a mistake...easy buckets to be had. But then it dawned on me. If Wisky doesn't control the pace and gets into a transition/running game, OSU's athletes will kill them. Wisconsin controlled the pace and won the game.

So, no surprise that on an off shooting night, they can struggle to score.

The only Wisconsin game I truly watched from basically start to finish was NC st.  At that time, both those teams were terrible.  Wisconsin was in a tailspin.  Fast forward and they all the sudden can do all things basketball at a very high level.  The UT game, even without UT's heart and soul, Wisconsin looked dominate, shot extremely well.  Basically did to them what they did to IU.  Followed it up by going into OSU and winning in their fashion   It's safe to say they have become greater than the sum of their parts.  Great.  Just freaking great.   

43 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I hope they really suck but If they do end up good, will make our loss better.  But I hate Wisconsin so I hope they lose every game

It just sucks that we’re in a place in time with IU that we are discussing a “good” loss and a “bad” loss. Back in the day...every loss was a “bad” loss. WOW..how we have to spin things to get by...😢

Archived