The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

And the smart move for Wiseman who is favorite to be #1 overall pick is to drop out of school, hire an agent, and work out privately, and get ready for the draft. Serves no purpose to stay and get a quarter of the attention from the team who will be moving on without him. Either sign with a foreign team or simply just get private workout. He is going to be a top 5 pick regardless if he plays another college minute. Memphis is likely going to lose him either way.

Have to strongly disagree. Zion Williamson earned himself hundreds of millions because of the advertising machine at ESPN. Wiseman would be foolish to miss this opportunity to secure that much money without seeing an NBA court.....because is if he's half as good as everyone says the hype machine for the real $ (shoe deals) started already. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Have to strongly disagree. Zion Williamson earned himself hundreds of millions because of the advertising machine at ESPN. Wiseman would be foolish to miss this opportunity to secure that much money without seeing an NBA court.....because is if he's half as good as everyone says the hype machine for the real $ (shoe deals) started already. 

And Zion almost blew his knee out in some worthless Duke home game that could have cost him millions......

Risk of Injury > ESPN Hype

7 hours ago, rico said:

From NBC Sports...

Memphis announced on Thursday that they have ruled James Wiseman ineligible to play and will immediately apply for his reinstatement. As of now, that means that Memphis’ star center will be held out of competition pending resolution of this matter.

Wiseman’s legal team put out a statement on Thursday morning announcing that they will be dropping his lawsuit against the NCAA.

“It has become clear to Mr. Wiseman that the lawsuit he filed last week has become an impediment to the University of Memphis in its effort to reach a fair and equitable resolution with the NCAA concerning his eligibility status,” the statement from Ballin, Ballin and Fishman read. “Therefore, Mr. Wiseman advised his legal team that he wished to withdraw his lawsuit.”

Ballin, Ballin, and Fishman is a great name for a college basketball player’s law firm.

53 minutes ago, JugRox said:

And Zion almost blew his knee out in some worthless Duke home game that could have cost him millions......

Risk of Injury > ESPN Hype

Actually he probably made more $ off that. I'm sure someone can find a link but the amount of advertisement these superstars get under the disguise of just a scholarship is worth 10 figures minimally....in some cases 9 figures. Zion hurting himself in that game literally had zero impact on the shoe deal he signed. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

How many Zions are there?? Who was the last Zion on Espn in college that got even close to the hype. Lonzo Ball?? I mean it doesn’t happen every year. He is like Lebron...a unicorn. Wiseman would be the equivalent of Deandre Ayton...he wouldn’t get 10% the hype...plus he plays at Memphis not UK or Duke or UNC...Espn is oblivious past the eastern time Zone.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

How many Zions are there?? Who was the last Zion on Espn in college that got even close to the hype. Lonzo Ball?? I mean it doesn’t happen every year. He is like Lebron...a unicorn. Wiseman would be the equivalent of Deandre Ayton...he wouldn’t get 10% the hype...plus he plays at Memphis not UK or Duke or UNC...Espn is oblivious past the eastern time Zone.

Sorry. Guess we were talking on the same plain. How many Zion's are there? 2-3 each year. Wiseman (who we were discussing) is one of them. Ja Morant from MTSU signed a pretty big Nike deal. How or why? Pub and advertising. Again....back to the point. Wiseman will earn plenty by handling this right way which his group has started.

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. Guess we were talking on the same plain. How many Zion's are there? 2-3 each year. Wiseman (who we were discussing) is one of them. Ja Morant from MTSU signed a pretty big Nike deal. How or why? Pub and advertising. Again....back to the point. Wiseman will earn plenty by handling this right way which his group has started.

I guess we are talking past each other. Wiseman is not the type of player that will get a big shoe deal. Again...how many kids want to wear a 6’10 post players shoe? Outside of Shaq how many centers had huge shoe deals? Will he get one the same way Marvin Bagley got one or Deandre Ayton...sure but his play doesn’t captivate people and isn’t going to get ESPN 24/7 coverage like Zion. Now...if you were talking about say Cole Anthony you would have a good arguement but even he won’t get Zion pub. I mean who did Espn prop up before Zion? Did Jason Tatum is Markel Fultz get a bigger shoe deal because of ESPN?? Hardly. Zion is like Jordan...comes around once a decade. You have to do things you don’t see anywhere else to get that type of coverage. I’m asking who was the last kid ESPN propped up and you think got vastly more famous on the college level? It isn’t like a yearly thing. Wiseman wouldn’t get that anyways so he won’t benefit from the hype machine. His game doesn’t translate to that. He won’t miss out.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I guess we are talking past each other. Wiseman is not the type of player that will get a big shoe deal. Again...how many kids want to wear a 6’10 post players shoe? Outside of Shaq how many centers had huge shoe deals? Will he get one the same way Marvin Bagley got one or Deandre Ayton...sure but his play doesn’t captivate people and isn’t going to get ESPN 24/7 coverage like Zion. Now...if you were talking about say Cole Anthony you would have a good arguement but even he won’t get Zion pub. I mean who did Espn prop up before Zion? Did Jason Tatum is Markel Fultz get a bigger shoe deal because of ESPN?? Hardly. Zion is like Jordan...comes around once a decade. You have to do things you don’t see anywhere else to get that type of coverage. I’m asking who was the last kid ESPN propped up and you think got vastly more famous on the college level? It isn’t like a yearly thing. Wiseman wouldn’t get that anyways so he won’t benefit from the hype machine. His game doesn’t translate to that. He won’t miss out.

Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Nerlens Noel are a few that come to mind. I think they were hyped up in college and hit their apex during those years. It translated to $ and wealth....but none are star NBA players. 

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Nerlens Noel are a few that come to mind. I think they were hyped up in college and hit their apex during those years. It translated to $ and wealth....but none are star NBA players. 

They got contracts based on their potential. Almost every first round pick gets a shoe deal. Even Carson Edwards got one. https://www.google.com/amp/s/therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/08/19/nba-draft-rookie-class-shoe-endorsement-deal-first-round-r-j-barrett-puma/amp/

RJ Hampton isn’t playing college ball and he has a 5 year shoe deal from same shoe company that did Dwayne Wades. Yes a few will get a really crazy contract because they will have their own shoe but most are just to hold a players rights in case they blow up. You don’t need college basketball to make it big in the NBA. I mean Kobe, Lebron, KG etc. Do I think college basketball is good for kids...sure absolutely but when a kid isn’t going to get to play because of rules and violations what is the point. He won’t be on ESPN...except in street clothes. Kids going the European route etc will be just fine. Lamelo Ball will still be a great player and drafted in the lottery. The biggest thing about college basketball kids miss out by going straight to NBA is learning to play without the ball, coaching, how to play winning basketball, sacrifice for team, life lessons, and hopefully getting an actual education that will serve them well in public speaking, valuing money, getting a job after the league, and just overall intelligence. But earning power in nba...probably no difference if the elite OAD go or not...they are all drafted and signed on potential anyways.

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

2018 - Luka Doncic #3, Anfernee Simons #24, Dzanan Musa #29

2017 -  Fank Ntilikina #8, Terrance Ferguson #21, Anzejs Pasecniks #25

2016 - Dragan Bender #4, Thon Maker #10, Georgios Papagiannis #13, Juan Hernangomez #15, Guerschon Yabusele #16, Ante Zizic

These are just some that got drafted in first round and none of them played in the USA.

And what about Kobe Bryant, Lebron James,  Kevin Garnett, etc.....before one and done?????

College basketball means absolutely nothing when it comes to being drafted or success in the NBA. Its a joke.

James Wiseman can go sit in his room for the next 5 months and will still be a top 3 pick next year.

And think of all college exposure LeMelo Ball is getting? He will be a top 10 pick next year?

Ever heard of Theo Maledon? Yeah.....he will be a top 10 pick next year too.

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

2018 - Luka Doncic #3, Anfernee Simons #24, Dzanan Musa #29

2017 -  Fank Ntilikina #8, Terrance Ferguson #21, Anzejs Pasecniks #25

2016 - Dragan Bender #4, Thon Maker #10, Georgios Papagiannis #13, Juan Hernangomez #15, Guerschon Yabusele #16, Ante Zizic

These are just some that got drafted in first round and none of them played in the USA.

And what about Kobe Bryant, Lebron James,  Kevin Garnett, etc.....before one and done?????

College basketball means absolutely nothing when it comes to being drafted or success in the NBA. Its a joke.

James Wiseman can go sit in his room for the next 5 months and will still be a top 3 pick next year.

And think of all college exposure LeMelo Ball is getting? He will be a top 10 pick next year?

Ever heard of Theo Maledon? Yeah.....he will be a top 10 pick next year too.

Funny you brought those 3 years and those players since only one has done anything in the NBA

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

For Zion's NBA career....yeah.... it meant nothing.....

He could have sit it out and still would have been the #1 pick.

Agree but he got a lot more publicity in those 6 months than he would have if he did not go to Duke.  Let them go over seas or play in the G-league in front of 500 fans and really see how much Publicity they will get.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Agree but he got a lot more publicity in those 6 months than he would have if he did not go to Duke.  Let them go over seas or play in the G-league in front of 500 fans and really see how much Publicity they will get.

he would have still been a top 3 pick. He could have worked at the mall for 7 months and been a top 5 pick.

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

he would have still been a top 3 pick. He could have worked at the mall for 7 months and been a top 5 pick.

Again nobody said he wouldn't get drafted but he would not have gotten as huge of an endorsement deal.  Actually going into the season Zion was liked the 3rd ranked player in the draft so going to Duke helped him become the #1 pick.

I think we are missing the point. Wiseman isn’t going to play college basketball regardless. The NCAA won’t let him. So do you sit on the bench and get little to no coaching (because the team is not going to put 100% into a guy that isn’t going to play) no money and no reps? His college career is over. So go get an agent, put some money in your pocket, and get work to get ready for draft. I think there are huge advantages as I mentioned in my other post to play college basketball but in this case the kid is not going to play...so he might as well do what is best for him.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we are missing the point. Wiseman isn’t going to play college basketball regardless. The NCAA won’t let him. So do you sit on the bench and get little to no coaching (because the team is not going to put 100% into a guy that isn’t going to play) no money and no reps? His college career is over. So go get an agent, put some money in your pocket, and get work to get ready for draft. I think there are huge advantages as I mentioned in my other post to play college basketball but in this case the kid is not going to play...so he might as well do what is best for him.

Yes in his case if he can't play anymore this year there is no reason for him to stay.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Again nobody said he wouldn't get drafted but he would not have gotten as huge of an endorsement deal.  Actually going into the season Zion was liked the 3rd ranked player in the draft so going to Duke helped him become the #1 pick.

My final thing. You don’t think Nike had already worked out to give Zion a huge endorsement deal before going to college. They are paying high school kids already to go to their schools. You think Duke paid for his mom to have that house? Hardly Nike wanted him there instead of Clemson. He had already been identified as tons of other kids for their potential. Romeo’s dad was making 6 figures because Addidas was already invested in him. Shoe deals were worked up by the time many of these kids were freshman in high school. Again college helps on many levels but once it is gone and the rule changes...the money and endorsements will still be there for kids. The Lebron and Kobe’s will still have huge pay days waiting on them despite college. Now some of these kids can absolutely use college to better their situation but it won’t be necessary for them all.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The brush you're painting with there is broader than a Purdue co-ed's backside

Sure....but the point still remains.

A player doesn't need college basketball to be successful in the NBA. 

And college basketball doesn't need future NBA stars to be successful.

Archived