The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Drroogh said:

Mile, are you and I the only ones here? Must be hangover from the NCAA football championship game!

Did not watch the game. So no hangover for me !  Saw later, that it was a great game.  I may have missed out.  However, my heart was not in it....as I preferred to watch college BB instead. 

I trust our fellow HSN members.  Expecting a huge turnout for the Rutgers game on Wednesday.

Take care, my man.  You are a great HSN member. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

OSU putting out the dumpster fire. Up 21-9 with just over 8 mins left in first half.

Home court magic in the B1G

Watched some of what's turning into an OSU blowout. According to Jimmy Jackson, OSU is back to playing like they were early in the season...

Has nothing to do with a sorry effort by the Cornhuskers...

He cited turnovers...like IU's defense had nothing to do with it...

I was reading on CBS SPORTS that Duke had so many injuries that made them susceptible to losing. I am glad IU NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM  with injuries😀.The last time Clemson had the same results against NC and Duke 1995 -96 season. Per the same article. IU never gets respect for their injuries but POOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Duke if they lose it can't be by a better team.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Duke and Clemson shot a combined robust 50% from the free throw line. I promise I as an old fat out of shape no knees man could shoot 50% with my off hand. Painful to watch

I saw a brief write-up, from a Duke pov, where K was talking about how they really missed a reserve not playing in the game.  Then brought up their performance from the line which was 10-20.

So I checked the box score and found that Duke still played 8 guys with out Joey Barker who averages 7 ppg.  I also noticed that Hurt played 16 minutes and had 2 pts.

Oh and Clemson was 11-22 from the line.

Just about a year ago we were writing off the Butler Way and how Jordan may have been a bad hire. I for 1 thought he was unproven was not a good fit . I had heard a lot of good thing about him but was not convinced.  Now he has Butler in the top 5. 

Is it just possible that winning at certain places like Butler and Xavier and Dayton is just easier and if so why? Seems like most coaches there have had success.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just about a year ago we were writing off the Butler Way and how Jordan may have been a bad hire. I for 1 thought he was unproven was not a good fit . I had heard a lot of good thing about him but was not convinced.  Now he has Butler in the top 5. 

Is it just possible that winning at certain places like Butler and Xavier and Dayton is just easier and if so why? Seems like most coaches there have had success.

A couple of thoughts on this. 

1) One season doesn't make a coach and it also doesn't break a coach. One thing that always frustrates me about the message boards is the wild swings on the commentary around coaches from game-to-game and season-to-season. A rough first season or two doesn't mean Jordan is a terrible coach, and this season alone, which isn't over yet, doesn't mean he's the best coach in the world either (I know that's not what you're saying). He didn't figure out how to coach over the last 3 weeks, just as Archie didn't forget how to coach over the last 2 seasons. Look at Holtmann, everyone was slobbering all over him for two seasons, yet in the last season and a half he's 10-16 in the Big Ten. I think Holtmann is a good coach, but he's going through some growing pains as the Matta guys get phazed out. You have to look at these guys over the course of numerous seasons and allow them time to establish their programs and cultures. 

2) We had this discussion last week after the Maryland game, but the organization around the program matters. As much as people wanted to downplay all of that talk and say that the AD, compliance and the President weren't stopping Justin Smith from hitting a jumper or Devonte Green from playing hard (which is true), over the long haul the program and the university being aligned matters. There's a reason Xavier, Butler, Dayton, Gonzaga, Duke, Kansas, MSU, Kentucky, Villanova, Wisconsin and others are almost always in the conversion, year-in and year-out for the better part of 20 years. Regardless of coaches and players coming and going, the university, the President's, the AD's, the basketball programs are well oiled machines, all with the same goals and strategies. There's alignment from top to bottom. That isn't the case at places like IU, UCLA, etc. for example. 

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A couple of thoughts on this. 

1) One season doesn't make a coach and it also doesn't break a coach. One thing that always frustrates me about the message boards is the wild swings on the commentary around coaches from game-to-game and season-to-season. A rough first season or two doesn't mean Jordan is a terrible coach, and this season alone, which isn't over yet, doesn't mean he's the best coach in the world either (I know that's not what you're saying). He didn't figure out how to coach over the last 3 weeks, just as Archie didn't forget how to coach over the last 2 seasons. Look at Holtmann, everyone was slobbering all over him for two seasons, yet in the last season and a half he's 10-16 in the Big Ten. I think Holtmann is a good coach, but he's going through some growing pains as the Matta guys get phazed out. You have to look at these guys over the course of numerous seasons and allow them time to establish their programs and cultures. 

2) We had this discussion last week after the Maryland game, but the organization around the program matters. As much as people wanted to downplay all of that talk and say that the AD, compliance and the President weren't stopping Justin Smith from hitting a jumper or Devonte Green from playing hard (which is true), over the long haul the program and the university being aligned matters. There's a reason Xavier, Butler, Dayton, Gonzaga, Duke, Kansas, MSU, Kentucky, Villanova, Wisconsin and others are almost always in the conversion, year-in and year-out for the better part of 20 years. Regardless of coaches and players coming and going, the university, the President's, the AD's, the basketball programs are well oiled machines, all with the same goals and strategies. There's alignment from top to bottom. That isn't the case at places like IU, UCLA, etc. for example. 

You said that much much better than I could. That was the point of me asking.  Certain programs and universities are harboring success and other truly seem to fight it tooth and nail

Archived