The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A couple of thoughts on this. 

1) One season doesn't make a coach and it also doesn't break a coach. One thing that always frustrates me about the message boards is the wild swings on the commentary around coaches from game-to-game and season-to-season. A rough first season or two doesn't mean Jordan is a terrible coach, and this season alone, which isn't over yet, doesn't mean he's the best coach in the world either (I know that's not what you're saying). He didn't figure out how to coach over the last 3 weeks, just as Archie didn't forget how to coach over the last 2 seasons. Look at Holtmann, everyone was slobbering all over him for two seasons, yet in the last season and a half he's 10-16 in the Big Ten. I think Holtmann is a good coach, but he's going through some growing pains as the Matta guys get phazed out. You have to look at these guys over the course of numerous seasons and allow them time to establish their programs and cultures. 

2) We had this discussion last week after the Maryland game, but the organization around the program matters. As much as people wanted to downplay all of that talk and say that the AD, compliance and the President weren't stopping Justin Smith from hitting a jumper or Devonte Green from playing hard (which is true), over the long haul the program and the university being aligned matters. There's a reason Xavier, Butler, Dayton, Gonzaga, Duke, Kansas, MSU, Kentucky, Villanova, Wisconsin and others are almost always in the conversion, year-in and year-out for the better part of 20 years. Regardless of coaches and players coming and going, the university, the President's, the AD's, the basketball programs are well oiled machines, all with the same goals and strategies. There's alignment from top to bottom. That isn't the case at places like IU, UCLA, etc. for example. 

Great post. And dead on.

The mood swings and the jumping on CAM 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 years at IU are just not well thought out, or reflect a biased view. 

It is frankly ridiculous to be calling for his head, or saying he should be on the hot seat, or saying he can't coach well after this short term so far without even his having gotten to the point where he has brought in a full team on his recruiting, even leaving aside the numerous, obvious injuries and medical conditions to several key players.

Most want to see IU playing at the top of the conference again, winning well and ranked nationally regularly. But when you change coaches, and coaching staffs, that takes time, and when you add to that that the administration and bball program have not been on the same page, and you have issues with the way compliance helps or hinders the program, it adds to the time needed. There are fair areas of discussion, the pack line, the emphasis on 3 bigs this season (one thing there is CAM values Brunk's leadership and decision-making, and that's bearing out as justified), etc., but the posts saying we should be looking for another coach? The word premature just doesn't capture how off those posts are.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just about a year ago we were writing off the Butler Way and how Jordan may have been a bad hire. I for 1 thought he was unproven was not a good fit . I had heard a lot of good thing about him but was not convinced.  Now he has Butler in the top 5. 

Is it just possible that winning at certain places like Butler and Xavier and Dayton is just easier and if so why? Seems like most coaches there have had success.

There are a lot less pressure on a coach at those places and are usually given more time to show that they can build a product.  They know that they don't have to reach on players at that level for the quick fix that may or may not work.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

There are a lot less pressure on a coach at those places and are usually given more time to show that they can build a product.  They know that they don't have to reach on players at that level for the quick fix that may or may not work.

It can’t be said enough that every game in the B1G is an out right battle. You play in those mid majors and there is typically 2-3 teams head and shoulder above the rest. If you have that team you can build momentum and confidence so much easier and if you recruit better you can actually have a sizable advantage. I look at IU and we aren’t out recruiting the opposition and we have few advantages. It’s a toss up almost every given night.The margin of error is so small in the B1G. Imo it’s a huge step up from mid major. I honestly think if we had the right guards this team has enough athleticism and defense it would compete for a B1G title. We possibly have the worst guards in the B1G...and that hurts me to say.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have not really paid attention to that conference this year so I don't know if there are any teams that will challenge them.

Not really.  But it is conference play.  Utah St., New Mexico, Nevada, and UNLV would be the schools most likely to do it.

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Could see that happening. The last undefeated team the past 4 years have made it to the championship game. Obviously not still undefeated but... think that trends stops this year

SDSU has played a pretty decent non-con.  They have a 30 pt. win over Creighton and a win over Iowa, both on a neutral floor.  They also have a blow-out win over Utah, also on a neutral floor.  And they have a win at BYU.  But one thing sticks out in my mind, they barely beat San Jose St. at home...that was a 1 or 2 pt win IIRC.  That is probably the one game that kept them from moving up through the polls early on.

Archived