The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

3 hours ago, JugRox said:

2018 - Luka Doncic #3, Anfernee Simons #24, Dzanan Musa #29

2017 -  Fank Ntilikina #8, Terrance Ferguson #21, Anzejs Pasecniks #25

2016 - Dragan Bender #4, Thon Maker #10, Georgios Papagiannis #13, Juan Hernangomez #15, Guerschon Yabusele #16, Ante Zizic

These are just some that got drafted in first round and none of them played in the USA.

And what about Kobe Bryant, Lebron James,  Kevin Garnett, etc.....before one and done?????

College basketball means absolutely nothing when it comes to being drafted or success in the NBA. Its a joke.

James Wiseman can go sit in his room for the next 5 months and will still be a top 3 pick next year.

And think of all college exposure LeMelo Ball is getting? He will be a top 10 pick next year?

Ever heard of Theo Maledon? Yeah.....he will be a top 10 pick next year too.

You're missing the point. It's not about draft position, it's about endorsement dollars. I don't have the numbers, but I'd bet Zion and RJ Barrett are getting way more in endorsement dollars out of the gate than Frank Ntilikina, Terrance Ferguson or Dragan Bender got as rookies. 

Zion Williamson made 10's of millions of dollars, if not more, by going to Duke for a year. LeBron is one guy that got a huge deal right out of high school, but Kobe and Garnett had to work for their deals, people didn't know who they were right out high school. They didn't have the pull initially, they had to work for it. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're missing the point. It's not about draft position, it's about endorsement dollars. I don't have the numbers, but I'd bet Zion and RJ Barrett are getting way more in endorsement dollars out of the gate than Frank Ntilikina, Terrance Ferguson or Dragan Bender got as rookies. 

Zion Williamson made 10's of millions of dollars, if not more, by going to Duke for a year. LeBron is one guy that got a huge deal right out of high school, but Kobe and Garnett had to work for their deals, people didn't know who they were right out high school. They didn't have the pull initially, they had to work for it. 

Zion was going to get that endorsement money anyway. 

Read this....

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/zion-williamson-is-officially-the-million-follower-man-on-instagram-drake-more-life-quavo-migos-lamelo-ball

"On a recent visit to Duke, Zion Williamson sat down with Mike Krzyzewski, who praised Williamson for having one of the biggest brands of any high school player he’s seen in a while."

That's right....Zion had his own brand in high school. He was going to get endorsement deals if he went to Duke, Clemson, or worked at Starbucks........he was ALREADY that popular. His brand was already that big. 

Zion didn't use or need Duke or ESPN to build his brand......Duke and ESPN used Zion to ride his brand he already established.

It had NOTHING to do with Duke. Zion could have gone to Marian University in Indianapolis and made just as much if not more.

You don't think people knew who LeBron was in high school??????? 

Read this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-turned-down-reebok-offer-nike-brilliant-2017-4

Yep that's right, $10 million for a HIGH SCHOOL kid.

Guess you never heard of this kid either....

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/08/07/introducing-emoni-bates-meet-the-likely-face-of-the-next-generation-of-preps-to-pros/

You think he will get a endorsement deal soon or will he have to "work for it" in college?

Garnett was drafted in 1995.... much like Kobe (1996), things were much different. The shoe companies hadn't completely taken over the AAU scene.

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

Zion was going to get that endorsement money anyway. 

Read this....

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/zion-williamson-is-officially-the-million-follower-man-on-instagram-drake-more-life-quavo-migos-lamelo-ball

"On a recent visit to Duke, Zion Williamson sat down with Mike Krzyzewski, who praised Williamson for having one of the biggest brands of any high school player he’s seen in a while."

That's right....Zion had his own brand in high school. He was going to get endorsement deals if he went to Duke, Clemson, or worked at Starbucks........he was ALREADY that popular. His brand was already that big. 

Zion didn't use or need Duke or ESPN to build his brand......Duke and ESPN used Zion to ride his brand he already established.

It had NOTHING to do with Duke. Zion could have gone to Marian University in Indianapolis and made just as much if not more.

You don't think people knew who LeBron was in high school??????? 

Read this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-turned-down-reebok-offer-nike-brilliant-2017-4

Yep that's right, $10 million for a HIGH SCHOOL kid.

Guess you never heard of this kid either....

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/08/07/introducing-emoni-bates-meet-the-likely-face-of-the-next-generation-of-preps-to-pros/

You think he will get a endorsement deal soon or will he have to "work for it" in college?

Garnett was drafted in 1995.... much like Kobe (1996), things were much different. The shoe companies hadn't completely taken over the AAU scene.

None of that proves that his brand didn't grow at Duke. So he had a million followers on IG? His brand and brand recognition grew immeasurably from his 1 season at Duke. He signed a $75M dollar deal with Jordan Brand after college. He's not getting $75M straight out of high school. Basketball fans knew who he was from the jump, but Duke/ESPN made him a household name to the general fan and people that aren't even college basketball fans. 

Here's more from a Yahoo! article earlier in the year: https://sports.yahoo.com/zion-williamson-the-last-college-basketball-superstar-174353758.html

While that wiretap conversation offers hints at the value of Williamson for his lone college season, few could have envisioned his financial ceiling. Williamson's lone season in college has ratcheted up his earning power exponentially in salary, but especially for endorsements.

"In six months, Zion has become the most influential and sought-after personality in all of sports," said Sonny Vaccaro, the former sneaker executive who has been in touch with the family for a few years. "He was the single most important force in basketball – high school, college or NBA.”

Since making the cover of Slam Magazine at age 16 and seeing famed trend-jumper Drake wearing his high school jersey, Zion Williamson has been a big deal. But going to college has made him even bigger, catapulting him into a rare teenage celebrity status. He is coming to terms with his new normal, which will never be conventionally normal.

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

None of that proves that his brand didn't grow at Duke. So he had a million followers on IG? His brand and brand recognition grew immeasurably from his 1 season at Duke. He signed a $75M dollar deal with Jordan Brand after college. He's not getting $75M straight out of high school. Basketball fans knew who he was from the jump, but Duke/ESPN made him a household name to the general fan and people that aren't even college basketball fans. 

ESPN can blow up highlights and show anybody. My goodness they were showing The Ball Brothers in Estonia or wherever in the world Eastern European Podunk Little Country they were playing from.  I'm not going to go to the extreme of jug Rox but he could have been on about any top 25 team in the country.  I give ESPN about 80% of the credit Duke got 20 but you could interchange a lot of different teams.  

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

ESPN can blow up highlights and show anybody. My goodness they were showing The Ball Brothers in Estonia or wherever in the world Eastern European Podunk Little Country they were playing from.  I'm not going to go to the extreme of jug Rox but he could have been on about any top 25 team in the country.  I give ESPN about 80% of the credit Duke got 20 but you could interchange a lot of different teams.  

I don't think he said Duke specifically made him but playing college basketball helped him over if he had gone to the G-League or over seas.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think he said Duke specifically made him but playing college basketball helped him over if he had gone to the G-League or over seas.

We don't know that for sure.  If someone as dynamic as LeBron or Zion played on a g league team straight out of high school, ESPN would be all over.  There has never been anyone as hyped and known as them to do it, so we really don't know.  We can make assumptions,  which may be fairly true but since there is no previous player of this stature we don't know.   In fact, ESPN WAS all over LeBron in high school.  

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We don't know that for sure.  If someone as dynamic as LeBron or Zion played on a g league team straight out of high school, ESPN would be all over.  There has never been anyone as hyped and known as them to do it, so we really don't know.  We can make assumptions,  which may be fairly true but since there is no previous player of this stature we don't know.   In fact, ESPN WAS all over LeBron in high school.  

I just don't see it because fans still wouldn't go to the G-league or watch it, or at least I wouldn't.  I barely watch the NBA let alone the G-League so I don't really care hwo is playing in those games.

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's not specifically about Duke, it's about college basketball. Same would be true if he had gone to UNC, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, etc. But, the G League, while a growing org, cannot replicate what playing in a primetime slot on ESPN, CBS, etc. 2-3 nights a week for 5 months can do. There is a huge value to that exposure. 

I don't understand why people are arguing this? Zion gained tremendously from his one season in college basketball. He made 10's of millions of additional dollars due to the exposure. You don't get the same playing overseas. Yes, basketball fans will know you, but the general public won't. My wife doesn't have a clue who LaMelo Ball is, but she knows who Zion Williamson is. My kids who are big basketball fans, don't know who RJ Hampton is but you better believe they know Zion, his crazy dunks and his shoe blowing out. There is monetary value to that. 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't see it because fans still wouldn't go to the G-league or watch it, or at least I wouldn't.  I barely watch the NBA let alone the G-League so I don't really care hwo is playing in those games.

ESPN didn't need butts in the seats in Estonia to show the balls boys highlights either.  

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's not specifically about Duke, it's about college basketball. Same would be true if he had gone to UNC, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, etc. But, the G League, while a growing org, cannot replicate what playing in a primetime slot on ESPN, CBS, etc. 2-3 nights a week for 5 months can do. There is a huge value to that exposure. 

I don't understand why people are arguing this? Zion gained tremendously from his one season in college basketball. He made 10's of millions of additional dollars due to the exposure. You don't get the same playing overseas. Yes, basketball fans will know you, but the general public won't. My wife doesn't have a clue who LaMelo Ball is, but she knows who Zion Williamson is. My kids who are big basketball fans, don't know who RJ Hampton is but you better believe they know Zion, his crazy dunks and his shoe blowing out. There is monetary value to that. 

I agree.  What I'm saying is if you are as good as LeBron,  they still play your games on espn, when you are 8n high school.   The difference now is they make them go to college for a year so ESPN doesn't need to show the up and comers anymore.  Watch when the NBA changes the rule.  They'll start showing more and more high school games again.  Always trying to find the next prodigy.  

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Sorry gang. That's all I was trying to point out yesterday. His 5-6 months at Duke earned him infinitely more $. Not sure why this thread turned into this. I thought it was a pretty easy concept.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:07 PM, BGleas said:

So the Bates kid has no chance of making endorsement deals like Zion? Because Bates isn’t going to set foot on a college campus.

And yes, Bates will get that 75 million dollar deal out of high school.

Its not G-League vs College....it’s College vs Straight to NBA

The one and done rule has what, 2 years left?

Zion, Bates, LeBron type players aren’t going to skip going straight to the NBA and go to college to “build their brand” and exposure to get endorsement deals. 

they will go straight to the NBA......and get the exact same endorsement deals.

Sure, college is better than the G League for the next 2 years because of one and done. But it’s not because college ball is so awesome at exposure. It’s because of the one and done rule.

Wasn't sure where to put this. 5 star recruit Isaiah Todd's mom just said he won't be signing with Michigan during early period. 2 ways to look at this I guess. Either he wants to keep his options open and possibly head overseas....or he wants to see Michigan actually play some this season to make sure of his choice. If I were guessing I don't think Todd ends up in Ann Arbor.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. 5 star recruit Isaiah Todd's mom just said he won't be signing with Michigan during early period. 2 ways to look at this I guess. Either he wants to keep his options open and possibly head overseas....or he wants to see Michigan actually play some this season to make sure of his choice. If I were guessing I don't think Todd ends up in Ann Arbor.

It’s common knowledge that Todd wasn’t going to play college basketball. That’s why Michigan is going to land Hunter Dickenson 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Is that the kid that has ties to Howard's son?

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Your are a coach and your team is down by 55 points, the opponent is dribbling out the clock, and your player does this.

How do you address this with your player?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/11/16/20967897/monmouth-kansas-george-papas-video-dunk-lmao-hahahaha

I don't mind the dunk but to talk trash being down 55 is not what I want to see.  When did it start to be the norm to just run the clock out even when the shot clock would run out.  I have watched a lot of older games over the years and they did not use to just dribble the ball and let the shot clock run out.  Especially if the end of the bench is in why not let them play until the final horn.

Not a fan of either program. Though growing up, loved watching Marquette when Al was the coach. Any way. Watched the Marq. vs Wisconsin game today. And turned off the sound. In order not to be influenced by the announcers.  So I have no idea what they said.

Here's what I saw.  And I will try to keep this as clean as possible.  I saw a Marq. team that plays very dirty.   It's one thing to play aggressively .  And another to play dirty.

And if Dawson Garcia wants to be a part of a team that plays dirty, IMHO.  I feel sorry for him 

Archived