The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vanderbilt AD who hired Stackhouse resigns after one year. Thought this was an odd fit for Vandy when the AD was hired. Vandy is 0-8 in SEC.

In a prepared statement, Turner cited "certain family commitments" and "new opportunities" as reasons for his resignation. Sources said Vanderbilt's financial approach and spending under Turner, a first-time college athletic director, escalated tension in recent weeks and led to Tuesday's split.

Stackhouse called the moves surprising on Tuesday while meeting with reporters ahead of Wednesday's game against No. 18 LSU. He had a meeting with Turner scheduled for Thursday to talk about plans for athletics. But the coach said nothing changes for him with his paychecks coming from Vanderbilt.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28634293/vanderbilt-ad-malcolm-turner-resigns-candice-lee-interim

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will be interested to see how programs like MSU, Syracuse, Duke do once their HOF coaches leave

Me too. I could MSU being alot like IU has been. Duke will probably still be successful but not at the level they are now. I think Syracuse will fall off into obscurity and be a mediocre program.

Just now, jv1972iu said:

I'm with you on that point, Scott.  Folks think replacing a legend (even if it's only in their minds) is easy....HA!!  We know it ain't.

Well Davis took us to the championship game in year #2....and Guthridge took the Tar Heels to the FF in year #1.

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Me too. I could MSU being alot like IU has been. Duke will probably still be successful but not at the level they are now. I think Syracuse will fall off into obscurity and be a mediocre program.

Syracuse is pretty much there already and Boeheim might have stayed to long.  With Duke if coach K has anything to do with his replacement then it will be one of his guys and a former player at Duke.

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think they go outside. Mike White, or big stretch Brad Stevens.

Stevens isn't coaching another college basketball game......ever.

Duke will hire a Duke guy. Coach K will hand pick them before he retires. (if he hasn't already)

23 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Don't know why Stevens would do that. Has a great gig in Boston and he's not being compared to Red Auerbach.

Someone that is close to both K and Brad told me that is the only job that is intriguing to him if for some reason he and Boston parted ways. Now many have said IU is his college dream job but there are a lot of dots that connect Brad to Duke

22 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Stevens isn't coaching another college basketball game......ever.

Duke will hire a Duke guy. Coach K will hand pick them before he retires. (if he hasn't already)

Maybe maybe not. Better chance of what you are saying to be true but there is a path that could lead him to Duke. I don't think it will be a Duke guy. Depends on how long K hangs around

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe maybe not. Better chance of what you are saying to be true but there is a path that could lead him to Duke. I don't think it will be a Duke guy. Depends on how long K hangs around

I think it will definitely be a Duke guy if they let coach K have anything to do with it.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just don't see Coach K giving up control of the program after he leaves. And I don't see the Duke AD standing up to him. Maybe...

I think Coach K hand picks the successor. North Carolina on the other hand....yeah, they won't bring in a UNC guy.

Same with Kansas....which might be next year lol 

29 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So many comparisons between the Bears and Hoosiers right now... Rough time to be a die-hard fan of both teams, lol.  

Yep. Not to derail but add my 2nd favorite team (Miami Hurricanes) to the mix and their head coach debacles I've been in a coaching blender for about 15-20 years. One of these days we'll get it all figured out.

Back to hoops. Stevens and Duke just seem to make the most sense if K does step down. Stevens can transition to Duke, head up the Olympics and away they go again. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Not to derail but add my 2nd favorite team (Miami Hurricanes) to the mix and their head coach debacles I've been in a coaching blender for about 15-20 years. One of these days we'll get it all figured out.

Back to hoops. Stevens and Duke just seem to make the most sense if K does step down. Stevens can transition to Duke, head up the Olympics and away they go again. 

Stevens HATES recruiting. I mean absolutely HATES it. And before anyone says "It will be easy to recruit at Duke"....Stevens will still have to make in home visits....and that just isn't going to happen.

Never mind the fact that he is probably the best young coach in the NBA. 

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Just don't see Coach K giving up control of the program after he leaves. And I don't see the Duke AD standing up to him. Maybe...

I think Coach K hand picks the successor. North Carolina on the other hand....yeah, they won't bring in a UNC guy.

Thing is that there fans is like ours who probably expects a big name coach to come when they have an opening but they will be surprised who they will be able to get.  The only reason UNC was able to land Williams is that he was an UNC guy and is from there.  right now there are no UNC guys out there that would be a great hire, maybe Wes miller but that is not a huge name.  At Duke there are plenty of coaches out there with Duke background but none have been impressive.

24 minutes ago, JugRox said:

I dont disagree with any of that. Not sure who will have the pedigree though.

Archived