The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

if I had to bet that the people who don't mind IU bringing in known cheaters are either in the younger generation or did not grow up being an IU fan.  It seems like the younger people is all about just winning and don't worry how you win.  Also if you were not a fan of IU until you stepped on campus and did not follow IU from birth like a lot of us have.  Winning at any cost did not even come into the minds of IU fans back in the day and it embarrasses me to see IU fans having this mentality today.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

But our former coach was a bully jerk at best.  Just because he didn't cheat by today's standards doesn't hold iu in basketball moral superiority.  

There's no question that, at times, Coach Knight could be a bully and a jerk...many coaches/leaders (Patton and Lombardi come to mind) "back in the day" were the same way. It was an acceptable form of leadership. And it got results. 

But there was also a reason so many former players came back to honor Coach Knight. His lessons on work ethic and leadership carried beyond the basketball court.

Read Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay." Same with Lombardi. Many guys thought he was a bully and a jerk...but the ones that bought in were rewarded far beyond the football field.

Today it's a different world...

And if you don't think we hold a "moral superiority" over programs like Kentucky, you're unaware of history. Look back at Kentucky's championships...every one of the have a huge "?" around them...point shaving, recruiting improprieties...I personally see no honor or satisfaction in that...

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

In 2 years when players are getting paid no one is going to give 2 craps about Pearls past besides good ole Indiana and our false sense of moral superiority.  And we like to say the admin runs a Lamborghini like a mid major.  

I noticed no one mentioned the lashing the national media gave us for our welcoming of Knight back in the fold?   They didn't have a good thing to say about knight except that he won a lot.  Guess that heals all wounds.   Not saying i agree and there is a lot more to it that they left out.  But our former coach was a bully jerk at best.  Just because he didn't cheat by today's standards doesn't hold iu in basketball moral superiority.  

Questioning whether to send this.  Here it goes.  Sorry not sorry.  

All this is also why not one of the coaches mentioned in the fbi stuff has been fired besides assistants.  

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/4/18295241/bruce-pearl-final-four-timeline-infractions-auburn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations

Bruce Pearl is where he is for a reason. There is absolutely no way IU (or MANY other programs) will consider him. 

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's no question that, at times, Coach Knight could be a bully and a jerk...many coaches/leaders (Patton and Lombardi come to mind) "back in the day" were the same way. It was an acceptable form of leadership. And it got results. 

But there was also a reason so many former players came back to honor Coach Knight. His lessons on work ethic and leadership carried beyond the basketball court.

Read Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay." Same with Lombardi. Many guys thought he was a bully and a jerk...but the ones that bought in were rewarded far beyond the football field.

Today it's a different world...

And if you don't think we hold a "moral superiority" over programs like Kentucky, you're unaware of history. Look back at Kentucky's championships...every one of the have a huge "?" around them...point shaving, recruiting improprieties...I personally see no honor or satisfaction in that...

Very well said and to me there is nothing wrong with having that moral superiority because to me that is great.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He also never cheated to win and did a lot of fund raising for many projects.  also these guys are not going to be getting paid a salary like some of you are making it out to be.  This money is not going to be coming from the university but from sponsorships and there will still be limitations on this money.

The fact remains coaches will no longer need to connect players with shady donors.  Now they will be doing commercials for them.  

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

if I had to bet that the people who don't mind IU bringing in known cheaters are either in the younger generation or did not grow up being an IU fan.  It seems like the younger people is all about just winning and don't worry how you win.  Also if you were not a fan of IU until you stepped on campus and did not follow IU from birth like a lot of us have.  Winning at any cost did not even come into the minds of IU fans back in the day and it embarrasses me to see IU fans having this mentality today.

Here goes the false moral superiority bullcrap again.  

Never said win at any cost.  I want a top five coach.  

I grew up hating bob knight the person and coach, but had enough sense to know he was a top 3 coach the entire time.  I grew up playing in systems exactly like his by coaches who acted, exactly like him.   

I landed in Bloomington one year after his removal and immediately fell in love with Indiana basketball.  My dad grew up in the city in Louisville, in fact, the house he grew up in was rented by the basketball players back I'm the 50s.  I knew good basketball and I knew jerk coaches when I saw them.

I want a top 5 coach.  As Rico stated, Pearls transgressions are petty.  In 2 years, nothing he has done wrong will ever be mentioned except by the ole well we didn't have to cheat to win crowd when we ignored abuse by our prick coach.  

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The fact remains coaches will no longer need to connect players with shady donors.  Now they will be doing commercials for them.  

If you don't think there will still be cheating then that is very naïve.  if there is a limit on what a kid can get then they will find it some where else like they do now.  You see the NCAA is trying to get with Congress to have parameters on this pay for likeness so it is just no going to be the wild/wild west out there.

26 minutes ago, JugRox said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/4/18295241/bruce-pearl-final-four-timeline-infractions-auburn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations

Bruce Pearl is where he is for a reason. There is absolutely no way IU (or MANY other programs) will consider him. 

I get it, we won't.   I juat want a current top 5 coach.  Find me one and I'll be happy.  Don't care what they look like.  Not a Pitino.  Who is clean and can be top 5. 

I'm ignoring rape covers like izzo.   False moral superiorist like cheater K.  Ole Cheaten Roy and Self.  Who out there is clean, top 5.  Indiana deserves a guy that can out coach the vast majority of other coaches.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here goes the false moral superiority bullcrap again.  

Never said win at any cost.  I want a top five coach.  

I grew up hating bob knight the person and coach, but had enough sense to know he was a top 3 coach the entire time.  I grew up playing in systems exactly like his by coaches who acted, exactly like him.   

I landed in Bloomington one year after his removal and immediately fell in love with Indiana basketball.  My dad grew up in the city in Louisville, in fact, the house he grew up in was rented by the basketball players back I'm the 50s.  I knew good basketball and I knew jerk coaches when I saw them.

I want a top 5 coach.  As Rico stated, Pearls transgressions are petty.  In 2 years, nothing he has done wrong will ever be mentioned except by the ole well we didn't have to cheat to win crowd when we ignored abuse by our prick coach.  

So to me that is a win at any cost attitude if you ask me.  If that top 5 coach is not winning the right way then, no I don't want him near IU.  I would rather finish 0-32 with a clean coach than win a championship with coaches like Pearl or Calapari.

If you say a top 5 coach here is probably a list of the top coaches in the country

Calapari- never want him because he has vacated two final fours and you know he has cheated/

Self- been problems at KU for years

Izzo- had problems with players in a rape case

Coach K- not been actually implemented in anything but you see things like Zion's family getting a million dollar home

Wright- the only one I would like to see at IU

Another thing is that none of those coaches would leave their jobs to come here anyways.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So to me that is a win at any cost attitude if you ask me.  If that top 5 coach is not winning the right way then, no I don't want him near IU.  I would rather finish 0-32 with a clean coach than win a championship with coaches like Pearl or Calapari.

.......uhhhh, that 0-32 thing...... I know your merely hypothetically speaking.......but I'm NO WAY in support of an 0-32 finish. Yikes!!!😖

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you don't think there will still be cheating then that is very naïve.  if there is a limit on what a kid can get then they will find it some where else like they do now.  You see the NCAA is trying to get with Congress to have parameters on this pay for likeness so it is just no going to be the wild/wild west out there.

There is still a lot to learn and navigate on this.  If you were loaded, own3d a business, and desperately want3d ok to win would you 

A. Pay top 25 player cash under the table

or 

B. Have them do a cheesy commercial and run it legally through your business

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

There is still a lot to learn and navigate on this.  If you were loaded, own3d a business, and desperately want3d ok to win would you 

A. Pay top 25 player cash under the table

or 

B. Have them do a cheesy commercial and run it legally through your business

What I am saying if their is a limit on how much a kid can make from doing a commercial like $5000, you don't think people will give them more under the table.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you say a top 5 coach here is probably a list of the top coaches in the country

Calapari- never want him because he has vacated two final fours and you know he has cheated/

Self- been problems at KU for years

Izzo- had problems with players in a rape case

Coach K- not been actually implemented in anything but you see things like Zion's family getting a million dollar home

Wright- the only one I would like to see at IU

Another thing is that none of those coaches would leave their jobs to come here anyways.

I don't consider calipari clean nor a top 5 coach.  I've already eliminated self, k, Izzo.  

We could pay Jay Wright top 3 money but we won't.  So we wouldn't ever know because we wouldn't ever make a real offer.  

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.......uhhhh, that 0-32 thing...... I know your merely hypothetically speaking.......but I'm NO WAY in support of an 0-32 finish. Yikes!!!😖

I never want to go 0-32 but I rather do that and have a known cheater coaching here and win a championship.  if he had to cheat to win that championship and we have t vacate it later then yes give me the 0-32 season.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't consider calipari clean nor a top 5 coach.  I've already eliminated self, k, Izzo.  

We could pay Jay Wright top 3 money but we won't.  So we wouldn't ever know because we wouldn't ever make a real offer.  

I don't think he comes here even if we did because he is an east coast guy and is happy there.  He is just like Mark Few who is content where they are because they have job security and can win big.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think he comes here even if we did because he is an east coast guy and is happy there.  He is just like Mark Few who is content where they are because they have job security and can win big.

Maybe but we will never find out because we won't pay top 3 pay unless something changes.  

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't understand how you even became an IU fan if you hated the coach that much since he has been the only coach in your lifetime.

Knight was coach half my lifetime.  

I didn't appreciate his work until I got to iu.  I can respect the man without liking him.  His behavior was a stain.   Hence my first post that shock the hornets nest.  The national media roasted him and Iu fans for the big tearful reaction.  They don't get and choose to only see his hiccups.  

Archived