The Archie Show

On 10/30/2019 at 10:11 PM, ErniePyle said:

TDH published Tom Allen with Don Fischer and a Whop Philyor interview today. Hopefully that continues for Archie’s show cause they do Facebook live but not easy to find afterwards to watch at our leisure. Thanks again for your hard work Mike.  

Yes, a platform for those of us who view the word "Facebook" as "Voldemort" would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Who sits your non conference schedule! Wow it looks embarrassingly weak this year! I understand starting with a couple powderpuffs in a few early games. But then start ramping it up. How will we know if we’re any good. Get in the Big Ten and lose 10 or 12 in a row. 

As I remember it, there's at least 4 challenging non-conference games...Florida State, Notre Dame, UConn & Arkansas.

In comparison, Purdue has Texas, Marquette, VCU, Virginia & Butler.  Kentucky plays Michigan State, UAB, Ga Tech, Utah, OSU & Louisville.  Duke plays Kansas, Colorado State, Georgia State, Cal and Michigan State.  I don't see any of the big boys or peers playing a killer out of conference schedule.  Everyone I've looked at has 4-6 at least semi-challenging games with most of the rest being cupcake city, so IU's schedule is not at all out of line with what other power five schools play, especially when you consider where IU is projected this year (bubble team).  Make a killer out of conference schedule and win 17 games = NIT, baby.

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As I remember it, there's at least 4 challenging non-conference games...Florida State, Notre Dame, UConn & Arkansas.

In comparison, Purdue has Texas, Marquette, VCU, Virginia & Butler.  Kentucky plays Michigan State, UAB, Ga Tech, Utah, OSU & Louisville.  Duke plays Kansas, Colorado State, Georgia State, Cal and Michigan State.  I don't see any of the big boys or peers playing a killer out of conference schedule.  Everyone I've looked at has 4-6 at least semi-challenging games with most of the rest being cupcake city, so IU's schedule is not at all out of line with what other power five schools play, especially when you consider where IU is projected this year (bubble team).  Make a killer out of conference schedule and win 17 games = NIT, baby.

I dunno, I’m a pretty big homer and even I gotta say our “tough” OOC games aren’t that tough.

24 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I dunno, I’m a pretty big homer and even I gotta say our “tough” OOC games aren’t that tough.

Well, in comparison to Duke and pUKe?  Probably not.  Those are both pre-season top 5 teams.  IU has no business scheduling at that level until IU proves it can win at that level.  IU scrimmaged even with Marquette which I listed as one of Purdue's more challenging games.  IU is probably a little easier than Purdue's schedule, but again, IU needs to prove they can win before they really dial it up on the schedule.  Considering IU's pre-season rankings, I think the schedule is challenging enough.

We may well expect this to be the year of out-performance and it may well happen.  I don't see any real advantage to destroying the team's confidence by over-scheduling before they've proven a thing.  The Big Ten schedule will be more than enough to battle-harden this group of kids.

10 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Well if we scheduled a real tough OOC schedule and lose a few games then a lot of people would be on here asking for Archie's head.  With this young of a team you need to give them some confidence early on and teach them how to win games.  I don't think LA Tech, S. Dakota St and Princeton are push overs and will give us a good game.  Also December with two conference games will be tough with FSU, Notre Dame, UCONN and Arkansas.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:11 PM, ErniePyle said:

TDH published Tom Allen with Don Fischer and a Whop Philyor interview today. Hopefully that continues for Archie’s show cause they do Facebook live but not easy to find afterwards to watch at our leisure. Thanks again for your hard work Mike.  

Yes, we are going to post all of the Archie radio shows on our site.  Last night's show is there.  The video is via Facebook but I do not believe you have to join Facebook to watch it.

12 hours ago, zerawkid said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-the-best-and-worst-nonconference-schedules-in-college-basketball-for-2019-20/

One writers opinion but according to him we have the second weakest OOC in the Big Ten(only ahead of Rutgers) and one of the weakest of any power conference team. I don’t think we should have a murderers row schedule but had hoped we would reduce the number of games against teams ranked 200+.  Did not like it under Crean (who has a tougher OOC than us this year according to the article) and I don’t like it in Miller’s third year.

24 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Yes, we are going to post all of the Archie radio shows on our site.  Last night's show is there.  The video is via Facebook but I do not believe you have to join Facebook to watch it.

Great. Good to know. And once again. Thanks !

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-the-best-and-worst-nonconference-schedules-in-college-basketball-for-2019-20/

One writers opinion but according to him we have the second weakest OOC in the Big Ten(only ahead of Rutgers) and one of the weakest of any power conference team. I don’t think we should have a murderers row schedule but had hoped we would reduce the number of games against teams ranked 200+.  Did not like it under Crean (who has a tougher OOC than us this year according to the article) and I don’t like it in Miller’s third year.

Seems I remember a lot of grumbling early this year (late last season) that if IU had only made the schedule a little easier, they might have made the NCAA tournament...

I know, I know...it wasn't you.  My point is, IU will have a faction complaining about the schedule regardless of how easy or difficult they make it.  I'm personally in the "let's win some games first" camp.

The thing with schedules too is sometimes games don't look so great in November, but by March they do and vice versa.  That Louisville game looked a lot better come March last year than it did before the season started last year.  I'm sure teams that had us on their schedule last year never thought that wouldn't be a potential win against a tournament team.  The schedule is what it is.  That is one thing I never get too worked up over one way or the other   Take care of business in the B1G and we're in.  

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

The schedule is weak, I won't act like it's not.  It's unfortunate to not have any top 10 teams in our non comference slate.   It's also rare.  It's also unfortunate this team isnt projected to be that great.  So i dont have a problem THIS YEAR, especially since Jerome hasn't played in a year and the team lost it's 2 best players.  However by December we play according to kenpom,  Florida st 14, Arkansas 44, Notre dame 42, wisconsim 45, and nebraska 96.  

No one loves back end 200 teams like Western I'll 295, Portland st 272, troy 276, north Alabama 279.  Crean would literally schedule 4 of the 10 worst teams in D1.  I would prefer teams under 200 because what do you learn from those games?  The only benefit is going deep into the bench in a real game but truth is, those guys practice against the starters.  

La tech 109, Princeton 182 and s Dakota st 209 are the only November challenges.  The only thing this schedule hurts is getting publicity early.  I'd rather take the w's and prepare for the future this year.  

I read an article that said out of 92 teams in some elite conference. Indiana non conference schedule ranked 85th. That’s embarrassing! If we are afraid to play the better teams then Archies salary should reflect that. Why pay him elite salary to play bottom feeder teams! If we want to say we’re and elite then let’s act like it. We’re INDIANA 

55 minutes ago, Bob said:

I read an article that said out of 92 teams in some elite conference. Indiana non conference schedule ranked 85th. That’s embarrassing! If we are afraid to play the better teams then Archies salary should reflect that. Why pay him elite salary to play bottom feeder teams! If we want to say we’re and elite then let’s act like it. We’re INDIANA 

Bob, I got news for you...IU is not elite.  Not by a long stretch.  Let's see IU win first, then we can ramp up the schedule.

I think IU gets back to elite and I think the schedule will eventually reflect that, but this lack of patience is just silly.  Let's see IU show some progress and then the schedule can be adjusted.  As it is, the conference is always a meat grinder and will be again this year.  By the end of the season, I'm confident that IU will have been challenged sufficiently to see just how elite they are and can be.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Without question, IU is elite on an all-time basis.  What I was responding to was scheduling for an elite program right now before IU proved it was ready for such a schedule.  I think that would be very foolish, personally.

I am on board with you.  Just don't want our younger members not to think what this program is, all time.  Gotta get to the tourney. And if that means scheduling cupcakes at the start of the season, unlike UCLA as we once did when they were setting the standard.  So be it.  Got to grab the ring. Anyway we can get it. 

Archived