Does anybody else?

btownqb

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought he overachieved his first year because most had them picked around 10th in the league and finished 6th.

I can understand that argument,  and maybe my expectations were inflated. 

I thought that team was good enough to make the NIT, which would have made them 70th range in the country.   Getting curb stomped at home by Ft. Wayne and ISU, plus blowing that huge lead to rutger in the BTT left a bad taste in my mouth. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I can understand that argument,  and maybe my expectations were inflated. 

I thought that team was good enough to make the NIT, which would have made them 70th range in the country.   Getting curb stomped at home by Ft. Wayne and ISU, plus blowing that huge lead to rutger in the BTT left a bad taste in my mouth. 

when Freddie McSwain ended up playing a lot of minutes at the 5 and your best player going into that season was Johnson, that should tell you about the season.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

when Freddie McSwain ended up playing a lot of minutes at the 5 and your best player going into that season was Johnson, that should tell you about the season.

Nice thread derailment Scott.  Take the shine off our football season why don't ya.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Please keep basketball on the incredibly popping basketball board. 

I am excited about the football program and for now they hold my interest more than basketball. That being said, I have been an IU football fan for going on 50 years and even though I love this team and what they have done so far, I expect the wheels to fall off in at least two of the remaining games. Extremely guarded would be a good way to put it.

I’ll get more excited about basketball when the competition picks up. Just as I tuned out of the football games against teams like Ball State when the score got lopsided, I won’t invest much time watching IU basketball pound a bunch of cupcakes like we have scheduled at the beginning of this season 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Please keep basketball on the incredibly popping basketball board. 

Like I said I love IU football and was just commenting to another poster which did not pertain to you.  At least I can root for all of my IU teams where you seem to want to put a wedge between fan bases trying to make it an either or proposition.  As for the boards the basketball board has way more traffic than does the football board even during the off season.   I come to this board to see about football recruiting and there has not been anything poster there for about a week.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

I'm definitely a basketball fan, but the last few years, I've been less and less engaged with basketball at the beginning of its season and more and more engaged with football at the end its season.  I've been back and forth about whether I'm going to buy the BTN+ to watch tonight's game.  1) We're playing the villain from the Legend of Zelda, and 2) Green and Phinisee are both out, so I'm not sure anything we see tonight will really be representative of the team this year.

This year I'm all-in on football.  I think we're about to witness the best stretch of football IU's ever seen with hopefully good sustained success after that.

Basically the same for me.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said I love IU football and was just commenting to another poster which did not pertain to you.  At least I can root for all of my IU teams where you seem to want to put a wedge between fan bases trying to make it an either or proposition.  As for the boards the basketball board has way more traffic than does the football board even during the off season.   I come to this board to see about football recruiting and there has not been anything poster there for about a week.

Why do you still consistently put words in my mouth? You know absolutely zero about how I feel about IU sports lol zeroooo...  

I've been to: baseball, soccer, basketball, football, and softball games all in the past year. "At least I can root for all of my teams" where in the world do you even come up with this stuff? Put a wedge between sports? What the? 

Please show me where I made it an either or thing.. I'll wait

Btw.. there's been multiple post that they're feeling how I'm feeling. You're just such a good fan you.. you've won the award, buddy. No one can top your fandom. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why do you still consistently put words in my mouth? You know absolutely zero about how I feel about IU sports lol zeroooo...  

I've been to: baseball, soccer, basketball, football, and softball games all in the past year. "At least I can root for all of my teams" where in the world do you even come up with this stuff? Put a wedge between sports? What the? 

Btw.. there's been multiple post that they're feeling how I'm feeling. You're just such a good fan you.. you've won the award, buddy. No one can top your fandom. 

At least we can agree on your last statement

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

maybe I was just lumping you in with other fans I have witnessed over the years who mainly were just football fans.  Those people were on other boards at the time and they would pretty much blame everything that went wrong with the football program on basketball.  If I did that I apologize for putting words into your mouth.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

TY, as I was born in 1967 this is something special this year.  I can't emphasize that enough.

Probably the most excited I have been about the out look of the football program since AT's years at IU.  We had a couple of other years to get excited with Dunbar and the 2007 year but not much else to root for.  I loved ARE but those teams just could not stop anyone so that pretty much nullified how great he was.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Probably the most excited I have been about the out look of the football program since AT's years at IU.  We had a couple of other years to get excited with Dunbar and the 2007 year but not much else to root for.  I loved ARE but those teams just could not stop anyone so that pretty much nullified how great he was.

I guess you don't remember '79?  I do.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I guess you don't remember '79?  I do.

Yes I remember but was only 9 but I do remember watching the holiday bowl.  That was probably the only game that was on TV that year so it was a little harder to follow.  One of my first memories of listening to a game was one to forget and it was the blowout loss to Neb. in the 70's.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

maybe I was just lumping you in with other fans I have witnessed over the years who mainly were just football fans.  Those people were on other boards at the time and they would pretty much blame everything that went wrong with the football program on basketball.  If I did that I apologize for putting words into your mouth.

I dont think that at all. That's a weak excuse if people say that. 

All I'm saying.. I haven't been overly drawn to the start of our basketball season because I've been so intrigued with our football season... I simply didnt know if others felt the same. Black and white that's it. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dont think that at all. That's a weak excuse if people say that. 

All I'm saying.. I haven't been overly drawn to the start of our basketball season because I've been so intrigued with our football season... I simply didnt know if others felt the same. Black and white that's it. 

I guess I can just be excited for both

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I can just be excited for both

Makes sense. I also have a TON going on right now in general. 

I also dont understand why they have exhibition basketball but not football. Makes no sense with each football game being so impactful (12 games compared to 32 ish for basketball). 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I also dont understand why they have exhibition basketball but not football. Makes no sense with each football game being so impactful (12 games compared to 32 ish for basketball). 

totally agree with you there because I think college football is the only sport without a pre season of any kind.  I guess I am at the age where my kids are older and in college and I am divorced so I have a lot of free time after work.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They have spring practice in football?

I am a Hugh IU basketball and Football fan. I will watch the IU game tonight, but If the football team is playing the same night as basketball I will watch football team! Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St. have all done it so can I . Go Hoosiers, I hope we fill the stadium Saturday night !

I hadn’t really thought about it, but yes I’m not as enthused about the start of basketball because I’ve been so excited about football.  Last week I could not wait for Saturday’s game, I can’t remember the last time that happened (if ever).  These days the first board I go to when I get on HSN is football and I know that’s never happened. Lol

Archived