Does anybody else?

btownqb

Any opportunity to hear Fisch call a game - whatever sport it is - I'm tuning in. We're lucky to have had the treasure that is his voice for so long. I don't view this as an either/or situation, just another opportunity to listen to the BEST live commentator in all of college sports before we all pass on into the great unknown.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Any opportunity to hear Fisch call a game - whatever sport it is - I'm tuning in. We're lucky to have had the treasure that is his voice for so long. I don't view this as an either/or situation, just another opportunity to listen to the BEST live commentator in all of college sports before we all pass on into the great unknown.  

Deep lol so deep 

19 minutes ago, BEKA said:

K, dude. Just saying that I'm a fan of more than one sport and like listening to Don Fischer call games. Whatever, GO Hoosiers! Hopefully we can agree on that. 

Eeesh lol I was trying to have fun with my reply to you. 

I can promise you this thread wasnt at all meant to make it a competition between the sports. 

4 hours ago, Andy06 said:

I am definitely more engaged in football than basketball.   Partially because of the season IU is having.   But overall the last decade or so I have been more interested in CFB overall. 

Another part of the equation,  I have been disappointed with Archie.   I think he has underachieved,  and the last two years the basketball team has failed the "I give a **** test" way too often. 

Same boat.  My dad was an IU basketball fan, so I was an IU basketball fan growing up because of him.  Being from Illinois, I never really knew IU football.  I was born in 87, so this was during the late 90s and early 2000s when we didn't ever win.  I started to get into IU football during Hep's time here, and kept getting into it more and more after that.  Been hooked ever since.

I haven't been very excited about Archie's first 2 years, so I'm just kind of coasting through basketball season.

As a teacher, I like to relate things to teaching.  To me, IU football is like the kid in school who isn't the smartest, doesn't come from a good family, doesn't have much going for them, didn't get good grades as a freshman, but by the time they're a junior, they're starting to turn it around and get A's and B's.  They worked their butt off, pushed through all the obstacles, and really made a change in their lives.  That's a hell of a lot more rewarding than the kid from a great family who always gets straight A's.

IU football came from crap.  Terrible home life.  Had nothing going for it.  We just aced the test and got a B for the first semester, and it feels amazing.

I check the football board non stop.  First thing when I wake up.  Last thing before I go to bed.  During my lunch break.  As soon as I'm off work.  I feel like I know everything about IU football at the moment, and I honestly didn't even realize we had a basketball exhibition game until today.

I'm excited for the football and have been reading you guys everyday.  Have never done that until recently.  The success of football doesn't take away from my excitement for basketball.  If anything, it's the lack of recent success.  But I still read all the basketball stuff everyday.  Listening to Fisch as we speak but reading the football board.  

Wonder if the mods can pull metrics of traffic on each board?  My guess is still more viewers and clicks on bball.  

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm excited for the football and have been reading you guys everyday.  Have never done that until recently.  The success of football doesn't take away from my excitement for basketball.  If anything, it's the lack of recent success.  But I still read all the basketball stuff everyday.  Listening to Fisch as we speak but reading the football board.  

Wonder if the mods can pull metrics of traffic on each board?  My guess is still more viewers and clicks on bball.  

The Nebraska game thread finished with 8 pages.  Right now the exhibition game has 7 pages with 4 minutes left in the game.

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would imagine the traffic on the basketball board dwarfs the traffic on the football board.  I would guess even last Saturday the basketball board had more viewers than the football board, and it was one of the biggest days for IU football in the last 25 years.

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

Does anybody else just have a complete lack of interest in anything basketball related right now because of our season we are having in football? 

Like I mean... I want our team to do well, but I'm just kind of like meh. We still have A LOT more football left!! I've never made it a secret that football is absolutely my favorite sport, so maybe I'm just biased.

🤷‍♂️

I can multi-task. :)

Very excited about the football team but am still interested in every micro-detail about IU BB.

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Same boat.  My dad was an IU basketball fan, so I was an IU basketball fan growing up because of him.  Being from Illinois, I never really knew IU football.  I was born in 87, so this was during the late 90s and early 2000s when we didn't ever win.  I started to get into IU football during Hep's time here, and kept getting into it more and more after that.  Been hooked ever since.

I haven't been very excited about Archie's first 2 years, so I'm just kind of coasting through basketball season.

As a teacher, I like to relate things to teaching.  To me, IU football is like the kid in school who isn't the smartest, doesn't come from a good family, doesn't have much going for them, didn't get good grades as a freshman, but by the time they're a junior, they're starting to turn it around and get A's and B's.  They worked their butt off, pushed through all the obstacles, and really made a change in their lives.  That's a hell of a lot more rewarding than the kid from a great family who always gets straight A's.

IU football came from crap.  Terrible home life.  Had nothing going for it.  We just aced the test and got a B for the first semester, and it feels amazing.

I check the football board non stop.  First thing when I wake up.  Last thing before I go to bed.  During my lunch break.  As soon as I'm off work.  I feel like I know everything about IU football at the moment, and I honestly didn't even realize we had a basketball exhibition game until today.

Similar here.  I was born in 1984, so we witnessed the same era for the most part. 

I grew up in eastern Indiana, in the country.   There wasn't a chance to watch IUFB outside of a game or so a year on ABC.

The summer between my sophomore and junior year at IU I interned with the Richmond Roosters of the Frontier League.   Miami (OH) sponsored a night at the ballpark because Oxford isn't far away from Richmond.   I got to meet coach Hep a year before he became IUs coach.   I walked away extremely impressed with him.

I then started as a student volunteer in the sports information dept at IU and was in the pressbox for Dinardo's final season and then again for Hep's first season. 

The energy and excitement Hep brought to that year brought me in and have been suffering along ever since.

23 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

The energy and excitement Hep brought to that year brought me in and have been suffering along ever since.

Hopefully when we get to be old curmudgeons like @rico, we'll be able to look at the young whippersnappers and shake our heads when they talk about how they have only known IU football to be a winning program.

42 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Hopefully when we get to be old curmudgeons like @rico, we'll be able to look at the young whippersnappers and shake our heads when they talk about how they have only known IU football to be a winning program.

My son was born in '91.  He is an IU grad and has seen very little success from the Hoosiers in either football or basketball.  I used to get a kick out of him at family functions when relatives would rib him about the IU sweatshirt he was wearing.  Then they would give him hell about the football and basketball teams in Bloomington.  Trent would take it all in and say to them, "IU is a soccer school."  But he is really stoked about the pigskin season thus far.  He isn't used to this!

I'm a football first fan. Our football team is my most cared about team in any sport at any level. I was at IU from 89-93, which was the pinnacle time for IU football in my experience. I am loving what Tom Allen is bringing to this team. That said, I do love IU basketball too. But head-to-head, it is no competition. Football wins and it isn't close. Go Hoosiers! I'm happy to see IU succeed in other sports, but would never sit down to watch a soccer or baseball game.

15 minutes ago, Kodos said:

I'm a football first fan. Our football team is my most cared about team in any sport at any level. I was at IU from 89-93, which was the pinnacle time for IU football in my experience. I am loving what Tom Allen is bringing to this team. That said, I do love IU basketball too. But head-to-head, it is no competition. Football wins and it isn't close. Go Hoosiers! I'm happy to see IU succeed in other sports, but would never sit down to watch a soccer or baseball game.

Have you ever been to a baseball game at IU since they built BKF?

15 minutes ago, Kodos said:

Nope. But I live in Connecticut now, so not much chance. I do get back for a football game every once in a while.

BKF is honestly awesome. I love the college baseball, so much better than MLB. I won't watch MLB unless it's the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

BKF is honestly awesome. I love the college baseball, so much better than MLB. I won't watch MLB unless it's the playoffs. 

I was wondering does the baseball team play in a fall league?  The day of HH we parked around the stadium and it sounded like a game was going on that day.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was wondering does the baseball team play in a fall league?  The day of HH we parked around the stadium and it sounded like a game was going on that day.

They play 3 or 4 fall games a year. And have an intra squad best of 3 series

I was born in a football area but raised in an Indiana Hoops house. Nothing will replace my fandom for IU Hoops but I am enjoying watching IU football develop (potentially) into the program I think we can be. Looking forward to Saturday night. Real momentum developing in the program and fans right now. The synergy from that (and vice versa) can help both programs. 

To answer original question. IU Hoops is a 365 day a year job....but those players on Saturday deserve most of our fan attention if we love IU as much as I think we all do! 

I have zero problem with someone just doesnt like football. To each their own. 

I do get annoyed with "IU fans" who simply don't watch IU football because it's a below avg program. So either they root for ND exclusively or root for someone else or just dont watch IU. That's a fair weather fan at it's finest. 

Also.. spare me the "ND was always on my TV when I was a kid".. don't care. 

People hide behind excuses.. when ultimately it's because they don't want to support a historic loser. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I have zero problem with someone just doesnt like football. To each their own. 

I do get annoyed with "IU fans" who simply don't watch IU football because it's a below avg program. So either they root for ND exclusively or root for someone else or just dont watch IU. That's a fair weather fan at it's finest. 

Also.. spare me the "ND was always on my TV when I was a kid".. don't care. 

People hide behind excuses.. when ultimately it's because they don't want to support a historic loser. 

I agree with most of what you said there other than "picking" on ND especially since I live in Irish country.

Yes I grew up watching ND football on TV, I also grew up watching ND basketball on TV as well.  But even then my heart was with IU.  And I am sorry I pull for the Irish, as long as they aren't playing IU in ANY sport.  I would say the same about Butler, PFW, Valpo, Ball St., IUPUI, Indiana St., and Evansville.  

All that being said.  I played football, basketball, and ran track in HS.   

As such when IU fans were clamoring about Kent Benson, Scott May, Woody, Zeke...I was closely following Nate Lundy, Jim Spivey, and Sunder Nix.  I pumped my fist on a Bradley to Gunn TD.  Ernie Jones was a stud.  I was never basketball only.

Yes Sir, my IU flag is proudly flying full staff.  

All I got.

Archived