Starting Lineup Tonight for the Howard game.

Curious to see what you wonderful people think should be the starting lineup tonight for me:

Al Durham

Robert Johnson

Juwan Morgan

Collin Hartman (if he plays)

Deron Davis

Moderator note : I added : "for the Howard game"  to your thread title.  Some threads have a long lasting life.  Did not want members to get confused in the future.  Thanks for starting this thread. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Curious to see what you wonderful people think should be the starting lineup tonight for me:

Al Durham

Robert Johnson

Juwan Morgan

Collin Hartman (if he plays)

Deron Davis

Safe to assume Hartman won't be playing. Everything I've heard is that he will be out a few weeks minimum.

I think this would be a great game to send a message if you are Coach Miller.  While the 2nd half was better, there was no excuse to get whooped like that.  However, it's hard to win when the other teams makes that many shots, contested or not.  While IU should have won, it was a bad recipe IMO.

Anyway, I would go with:

- Davis

- McSwain

- CuJo

- Durham

- Green (Short leash)

Now, this is only to teach a lesson.  RoJo and Newkirk have no business playing as poorly as they have been.  This offense is actually really good for them, but they have to be willing participants.  I really hope Morgan sees the film and takes it to heart.  He is such a good player when he is posting up or around the midrange area to drive.  He will never be a pull up shooter, and he has to stop.  He made so many good plays when he was down low or driving from the wing.  This team has so much potential, but they really have to buy in.

19 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I think this would be a great game to send a message if you are Coach Miller.  While the 2nd half was better, there was no excuse to get whooped like that.  However, it's hard to win when the other teams makes that many shots, contested or not.  While IU should have won, it was a bad recipe IMO.

Anyway, I would go with:

- Davis

- McSwain

- CuJo

- Durham

- Green (Short leash)

Now, this is only to teach a lesson.  RoJo and Newkirk have no business playing as poorly as they have been.  This offense is actually really good for them, but they have to be willing participants.  I really hope Morgan sees the film and takes it to heart.  He is such a good player when he is posting up or around the midrange area to drive.  He will never be a pull up shooter, and he has to stop.  He made so many good plays when he was down low or driving from the wing.  This team has so much potential, but they really have to buy in.

I like your lineup. Hopefully Justin Smith has good progress throughout the season.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you cant make a special effort to get up for your coach's first game then what will get you motivated?

Are we talking about motivation or playing well? I just don’t think you make the change after 1 game. I’ve been as hard as anybody on RoJo for example, but regardless of their current play, Archie is going to need RoJo and Newkirk, and if you bench them after one bad game you run the risk, as a new coach who didn’t recruit them, of losing them for the season. 

I won’t be shocked if he does change the lineup, but also saying I won’t be shocked if he doesn’t. If the team is still playing bad tonight and after Wednesday, then I’d definitely make a change. 

You've got to expect that the team will come out tonight with a fire under their behinds. I know that people here question how much some of the players care, and where their heads are at, but regardless of any of that-no one likes to get beat by 21 at home to an inferior team. Nobody. I'm hoping that we put our foot on the gas from the first touch and never look back. I think we will.

These so-called veteran players played this way last year too. They somehow failed to understand what their roles are as upperclassmen. This is one of the things I hated about recruits Crean brought in over the years. Bunch of nice kids with no guts, oftentimes disappeared when the intensity of the games went up. On top of that these kids were cuddled and cheered by the ex-coach no matter what kind and how many mistakes they made on the court. These kids had been coached like that 2 - 3 years. Sure they trained hard during the off season and upgraded their hardware but their software is still the old version. When they got smacked in their mouth right out of the tunnel, they disappeared. They need a shock treatment although I kinda doubt CAM would do that after one game. We'll see.

Durham, Green, Smith, Morgan, Davis

Green just needs to play more under control. I thought his effort was really good on Friday.

We need RJ this season. But we need him in a support role, not a lead guard role. He needs to be floating around the 3 point line, making smart, veteran cuts to the basket...not running the offense. Basically RJ needs to serve in the same way Colin does.

Let’s be honest, we could win this game with only freshmen, walkons and our Mc’s playing.  I have no problem with some lineup changes for one game to get attention.  I’m curious to see how Miller plays it.  

How is this:

Durham

Johnson

Davis 

McSwain

Jones

The only reason I left Johnson in there is I know Archie likes him and I’m going to bet he’s trying to reach him positively lest he go further  into one of his patented funks. 

The game is a gimme so I’m grading them on effort and smart play.  It’s hard to see much from games like this against hapless opponents so you have to kind of grade them playing the IU way, with nothing to do about the opponent.  It’s a quick turnaround where IU was embarrassed.  Let’s see if it’s real effort or the fake rah rah thing against a poor team. 

Archived