Howard Game Thread

5fouls

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Coach Robby said:

Not being negative, but will be lucky to win 17-19 games...lost 40 ppg, new coach, obvious struggles from ft line...miss Hartman more than people realize. Al Durham and Justin smith potential studs. Like the direction the team is heading. Will take time. Go Hoosiers!

Smart man right here

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Ohio State a 10-point win over Radford. Illinois +3 over UT Martin. At least it's not just IU.

It's just having a new coach and a system as many have said in these threads. We will start fixing the issues and get it on track. I think we have a real chance against Seton Hall honestly because Archie has two days with them before that game.

I liked some things I saw tonight. We move the ball well. We get a lot of open shots...a lot of them. That has happened in both games. Obviously if we hit a normal FT%, the game wouldn't have been as close. Thought we played with good defensive intensity. Circus 3's the only thing that made it an interesting game. The freshmen played well. RoJo played the role he needs to play.

The bad: Free throws. Rebounding, Devonte Green, annnnd worst of all...we have absolutely ZERO confidence/swag. We had a team last year that seemed to have bad chemistry...this is the same team, plus a few freshmen. We need Colin.

In the end...we are doing things the right way on the court...running an offense, emphasizing defense...we will improve.

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

A lot of good things, saw things we already knew (Newkirk-RoJo), free throws just Wow. That just speaks to our lack of confidence on the offensive end.

RoJo: 5-8 for 14, 4 assists to 1 TO, +13 on the night which was game high (with Newkirk, and Davis) in most minutes played (31). 

Newkirk shot poorly, 2-7, but had 7 assists to 2 TO's and again, tied for team high plus-minus with Rob.

Free throws: Davis shot 3-10, McSwain 0-4. That's bad. 

A lot to like, a lot to be worried about. This going to be a really long season, I’m hopeful Archie can get the team playing really well as the season progresses, but I worry the skill level just isnt there with the players. 

Obviously really impressed with Durham and Smith, and I’m still fairl high on Green. He made some mistakes after his hot start, but at least things happen when he’s in. Green is also our best player at getting the ball into the post. I think the ball needs to be in his hands. 

I feel bad for Juwan getting hurt, but with that said, and I know it was just a game against Howard, but if Justin Smith can play well against the good teams, then I think maybe he needs to play ahead of Juwan.  Not because Juwan isn’t good, but this team lacks athleticism and explosive athletes, and that’s something Smith brings that IU doesn’t really have. 

Davis is a beast, IU is screwed if he ever gets into foul trouble against a good team. We literally have nobody behind him. 

I don’t even know what to say about the senior guards. RoJo was at least solid tonight, but we need him to be more than solid. If he’s just solid, it’s going to be a long season. Newkirk, man I don’t even know what to say. 7 assists was good, but he can’t just stand out there and bomb 3’s. We just need more from him. 

Bright-side, that game is much different with even average free throw shooting. Negative side, The best guards and shooters were on Howard’s side. 

Archived