Northwestern - Indiana Post game

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

An interesting ranking question would arise if IU somehow did beat Penn State,  Penn State is ranked 5th in the country.  If IU went into Happy Valley and won, where would the voters place an 8-2 IU team in relation to a 9-1 Penn State team.  

Now, I'm not delusional enough to think that will happen,but it would be an interesting ranking scenario.

Having said that, I truly feel we have a chance to beat Michigan at home, assuming we come out of Penn State with no major injuries.  .

I think you play Ramsey and Tuttle.  Save Penix for Michigan...and hopefully Purdue.  I doubt that will happen, but that's what I would do.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Idk if they beat Purdue if Moore and Sindelar don’t get hurt on the same play IMO. And I agree they’ll likely lose at least a few of those games. 

Even if Moore and Sindelar did not get hurt, the refs would have ensured that Purdue lost.  :coffee:

There is a rumor going around that Penix might have a broken collarbone.

Assuming it happened on the hit he took near the goal line on his last drive.  Didn't notice it at the time, but he landed really hard on his right side, and kept grabbing his jersey collar with his right arm.  Kind of hung it by his side a few times too, and before the next snap (pass interference in the left corner), he was kind of looking up and moving his head/neck around.

Worries me there might be some legitimacy to the rumor.

23 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

There is a rumor going around that Penix might have a broken collarbone.

Assuming it happened on the hit he took near the goal line on his last drive.  Didn't notice it at the time, but he landed really hard on his right side, and kept grabbing his jersey collar with his right arm.  Kind of hung it by his side a few times too, and before the next snap (pass interference in the left corner), he was kind of looking up and moving his head/neck around.

Worries me there might be some legitimacy to the rumor.

Would hate to see that. Same thing happened to Sindelar. Hope it’s not that. 

Anyone else feel like we finally turned a corner by closing out Maryland?  Our guys are playing with an edge and have confidence.  Sure, things have broken our way with scheduling but past IU teams would invent ways to lose against teams we should beat. Nice to see an IU team taking care of business!

26 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Would hate to see that. Same thing happened to Sindelar. Hope it’s not that. 

Is Sindelar going to make it back before the end of the season?  I was thinking it was around 2 month recovery?  Just thinking if Penix does have the same that he could possibly be back for a bowl game.

27 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Is Sindelar going to make it back before the end of the season?  I was thinking it was around 2 month recovery?  Just thinking if Penix does have the same that he could possibly be back for a bowl game.

Things have been very quiet around that and I honestly have no idea. I’m a bit worried because with Plummer now out for the season, our QB situation is as follows:

1. walk-on O’Connell

2. Walk-on Carrollo

3. True freshman Piferi (who apparently is nowhere close to ready). 

Thats it  

Even our emergency quarterback who converted to WR Jared Sparks has missed like the whole season with injury. He was likely going to be a starter at WR for us. It’s why we’re actively recruiting another QB in this class to make it a 2 QB class. 

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

If we can beat Michigan, we have a good shot at finishing 3rd in the East.

I really think this is a good possibility.  Michigan is playing better now than earlier in the season, but we have them at home and have been playing them close for several years. This is probably the best chance in years IU has the opportunity to beat them. Harbaugh sucks and this is a vulnerable Michigan team.  IMHO. 

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I really think this is a good possibility.  Michigan is playing better now than earlier in the season, but we have them at home and have been playing them close for several years. This is probably the best chance in years IU has the opportunity to beat them. Harbaugh sucks and this is a vulnerable Michigan team.  IMHO. 

Michigan was left for dead not all that long ago...that ain't so anymore.

10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's November. And in 13 days, 7-2 Indiana travels to 8-0 Penn State. We might not make the CFP, but we can play spoiler.

That's what I'm talking about.  If healthy, you play whoever gives you the best chance to beat an undefeated #5 team on the road that seems like they beat the breaks off us every year.  

Great win last night and glad we were able to totally blow out NW because I actually thought it would be a closer game.  I knew NW offense was bad but it was worse than I thought.  I guess maybe my outlook on this team comes from so many years of seeing us lose games like this one.  Looking at the next two games I have a hard time seeing us winning these games but that probably just comes from my viewpoint of the program.  This IU team appears to be different and they do have more talent than previous IU teams and they are playing with an edge that we have not seen from past teams.  I hope we can come out of the bye week healthy and really compete with the best teams in the conference and show the country that IU football is changing.

I agree Scott, I  thought we would struggle at times vs their D and it would be a closer game than what it was.  I am really impressed with the way we took care of business. 

I think we win vs. Meeechingan at home.  I don't think we beat PSU, but coming off a BYE I think Deboer has something creative foe for their stout D.

That PSU game is interesting because they have Minnesota this week and OSU after us.  Very possible they are looking ahead. 

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think so. Not sure how they would’ve fared against Iowa, Minny, and Wisky. 

We could definitely beat Iowa and Minny... at Iowa probably not but at home yes.. Minny id play em anywhere and feel like we would have a solid chance.. Wisky would have to be at home. But ya if we had Wisky and Iowa at home I feel we would have a legit chance.. no shot being in the east with OSU and PSU.

hopefully conference realignment is coming soon!

12 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I agree Scott, I  thought we would struggle at times vs their D and it would be a closer game than what it was.  I am really impressed with the way we took care of business. 

I think we win vs. Meeechingan at home.  I don't think we beat PSU, but coming off a BYE I think Deboer has something creative foe for their stout D.

That PSU game is interesting because they have Minnesota this week and OSU after us.  Very possible they are looking ahead. 

I was thinking that it would be best for iU if PSU wins this one because they probably be looking ahead to OSU.  Really though it would be best for our chances to move up in the standings if PSU loses.

I'm gonna play Debbie Downer for a moment.  I saw a lot in last night's game that has me concerned.

1.  If Penix can't stay healthy for an entire game, I'm sot sure he should be our starter. I'm convinced now that the shot Ramsey took last week in the chest against Nebraska, would've killed Penix

2.  In an interview posted on this forum last week, Whop says that Peyton is his guy.  This week with Penix starting, Whop isn't even targeted in the first quarter.  Coincidence?  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, I hope so.

3.  The left side of the OL was atrocious last night.  Missed blocks, penalties, they were beaten in every aspect of the game,

4.  Undisciplined play of the defense continues 9 games into the season.  That was a minimum of roughing the passer, and quite possibly an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that wasn't called.  Won't be so lucky against UM or PSU.  Too many times the defense has made a great stop to get off the field only to go right back on because of a dumb penalty.

Like Minny, we have feasted on the dregs of the conference, what I saw last night will not beat UM,or even be competitive against PSU. 

3 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I'm gonna play Debbie Downer for a moment.  I saw a lot in last night's game that has me concerned.

1.  If Penix can't stay healthy for an entire game, I'm sot sure he should be our starter. I'm convinced now that the shot Ramsey took last week in the chest against Nebraska, would've killed Penix

2.  In an interview posted on this forum last week, Whop says that Peyton is his guy.  This week with Penix starting, Whop isn't even targeted in the first quarter.  Coincidence?  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, I hope so.

3.  The left side of the OL was atrocious last night.  Missed blocks, penalties, they were beaten in every aspect of the game,

4.  Undisciplined play of the defense continues 9 games into the season.  That was a minimum of roughing the passer, and quite possibly an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that wasn't called.  Won't be so lucky against UM or PSU.  Too many times the defense has made a great stop to get off the field only to go right back on because of a dumb penalty.

Like Minny, we have feasted on the dregs of the conference, what I saw last night will not beat UM,or even be competitive against PSU. 

I don’t think you’re a downer at all.  We all have a right to analyze the game.  I’ll add that I think our secondary consistently leaves guys wide open and teams that throw the ball well can exploit that.  We haven’t played a team that throws it well since MSU and we saw what happened there.  PSU and Purdue can throw it better than anyone we have played recently.  IU also doesn’t put much pressure on the QB.  I don’t think the defense had a single sack yesterday??

This is why I mentioned last night that there is still room for improvement.  But I like sitting at 7-2 and being imperfect.  We haven’t seen that from an IU team before.  And I also feel that this team has improved greatly since the season started so there is reason to feel that improvements can continue.  After watching the Ball State game I wondered if we would even get to 5 wins let alone 7!

6 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Hey...no problem.  You have your opinion.  Others think differently.  I like playing Michigan after they play MSU and before OSU.  I give us a shot playing at home.

Archived