Northwestern - Indiana Post game

4 minutes ago, IUfan93 said:

We had coats, gloves, hats, and blankets.  We stayed longer than most. To each their own. I’m not going to be numb when the game was well in hand to make sure Allen doesn’t leave for another school. I’ve been to MANY a ND games in my lifetime where fans cleared out of there too. 

I don't think most have problems people leaving early in the 4th quarter with a huge lead.  What most dislikes is that a lot of people never came back after halftime.  We heard all the excuses that if they would start selling beer at the games it would keep people in the stands so how is that working out.  Some say if they would start winning then people would come but after a big win the week before we still couldn't fill the stadium or keep them in.  We here that games start to early or to late or it is to hot or it is to cold.  Our fan base is starting to be like Goldie Locks and the 3 bears but I doubt if we ever find just right.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think most have problems people leaving early in the 4th quarter with a huge lead.  What most dislikes is that a lot of people never came back after halftime.  We heard all the excuses that if they would start selling beer at the games it would keep people in the stands so how is that working out.  Some say if they would start winning then people would come but after a big win the week before we still couldn't fill the stadium or keep them in.  We here that games start to early or to late or it is to hot or it is to cold.  Our fan base is starting to be like Goldie Locks and the 3 bears but I doubt if we ever find just right.

If I made you run and read through the results of a Monte Carlo simulation about ideal infield placement before every inning of baseball you watched, how long would it be before you stopped using the phrase "statistical mumbo jumbo"?

That's a joke BTW, but the point is, entrenched habits are hard to break on an individual level, let alone culturally.

26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

If more people stayed in the stands. They could use the buddy system.  True. In the Army, we were taught the buddy system to keep warm when it got cold.  Your body heat combine to keep two people warm.  It was a way to survive severe cold. 

Just what drunk, hormonal college students need: encouragement to climb all over each other.

Hey, we could make a mascot out of it though. Caligula in a candystriped toga.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Just what drunk, hormonal college students need: encouragement to climb all over each other.

Hey, we could make a mascot out of it though. Caligula in a candystriped toga.

Hey, wait. We were trained to do it with our clothes on.  LOL

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I stated this earlier but the date was Nov. 19th, 1988.  Penn St. @ Notre Dame.  The Irish were ranked #1 and smelling a national championship.  It was 40 degrees and drizzling rain.  Sell out crowd.  Half full after halftime and people continued to leave.  Although the game seemed like it was never in doubt the final score was close 21-3 ND.  The Irish went on to win a championship that year.  Bad weather conditions play a huge part on fan turn-out and subsequently fans leaving early.

30 minutes ago, rico said:

I stated this earlier but the date was Nov. 19th, 1988.  Penn St. @ Notre Dame.  The Irish were ranked #1 and smelling a national championship.  It was 40 degrees and drizzling rain.  Sell out crowd.  Half full after halftime and people continued to leave.  Although the game seemed like it was never in doubt the final score was close 21-3 ND.  The Irish went on to win a championship that year.  Bad weather conditions play a huge part on fan turn-out and subsequently fans leaving early.

Lalala.....cant hear you.....Lalala. Impossible, things like this only happen in Bloomington. Mandatory floggings for the entire student body until they stay for the entire game.....and not a second less!

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Lalala.....cant hear you.....Lalala. Impossible, things like this only happen in Bloomington. Mandatory floggings for the entire student body until they stay for the entire game.....and not a second less!

But, but, but I was there!  I stayed for the entire game, the IU....errrr Scott way!

4 hours ago, rico said:

Bad weather does make a difference but our challenge is that the place also clears out when the weather is beautiful.  

I’m of the mindset that the fans can do whatever they want but I do wonder what recruits think when they look up at the stands when the place is 75% empty, in the second half, on a nice day. Hopefully wins will turn around the desire of fans to attend and stay. In the meantime things are going in a positive direction.

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Bad weather does make a difference but our challenge is that the place also clears out when the weather is beautiful.  

I’m of the mindset that the fans can do whatever they want but I do wonder what recruits think when they look up at the stands when the place is 75% empty, in the second half, on a nice day. Hopefully wins will turn around the desire of fans to attend and stay. In the meantime things are going in a positive direction.

Our challenge is getting good and then staying good.

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am sure that there is a bit of lip service coming from the Athletic Department over game attendance. For them, as long as the tix are purchased, I wonder how much they really care whether the bleachers are full? 

Not sure if the president of the university cares but the Athletic Department???? I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that Glass, the coaching staff, the entire athletic department would be absolutely thrilled if the stands were packed with a fired-up atmosphere. I’m thinking they care, a lot.

3 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Not sure if the president of the university cares but the Athletic Department???? I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that Glass, the coaching staff, the entire athletic department would be absolutely thrilled if the stands were packed with a fired-up atmosphere. I’m thinking they care, a lot.

McRobbie, IMHO never cared for IU Athletics. Worked hard to bring in out of state students. In order to build up revenue. Who could care less for IUBB, much less for IUFB.  Stole BTN money for things other than anything concerned about IU sports. I honestly don't know how Mr. Glass managed through all that. He needs to go back to Australia, from wench he came.   Now.... McRobbie has one foot out the door.  Close the door before he can do anything  more to disrupt IU sports, more than he has already done. Sorry for the rant. But in my opinion.... the man has done nothing to further IU sports on any level... and most in particular IU BB.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

McRobbie, IMHO never cared for IU Athletics. Worked hard to bring in out of state students. In order to build up revenue. Stole BTN money for things other than anything concerned about IU sports. I honestly don't know how Mr. Glass managed through all that. He needs to go back to Australia, from wench he came.   Now.... McRobbie has one foot out the door.  Close to the door before he can do anything do disrupt IU sports, more than he has already done. Sorry for the rant. But in my opinion.... the man has done nothing to further IU sports on any level... and most in particular IU BB.

Yup.

I agree about McRobbie but think the Athletic department cares quite a bit about football attendance/atmosphere etc.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

Yup.

I agree about McRobbie but think the Athletic department cares quite a bit about football attendance/atmosphere etc.

Herman B. Wells as well as other IU Presidents knew what sports, especially basketball meant to Indiana University.  However, McRobbie never did.

22 hours ago, rico said:

Our challenge is getting good and then staying good.

This 100%.  IU needs to repeat 7-8 win seasons for a number of years.  I don't know what the number is, but it has to be sustained in order to generate the level of interest/excitement to make folks come to games and want to stay until the end.  Just my humble opinion.  Whether it happens in my lifetime is another story!

Fall of 94. Penn St at IU. Weather was cold and bad. Stayed the entire game because that's what we did. Just under 50k and ended up costing Penn St a potential title because they only beat us 35-29. Even though a loss....one of the better home games during my days at IU. I remember it to this day because I stayed not because I needed to head over to Villas for fun. ...which we still did later.

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Fall of 94. Penn St at IU. Weather was cold and bad. Stayed the entire game because that's what we did. Just under 50k and ended up costing Penn St a potential title because they only beat us 35-29. Even though a loss....one of the better home games during my days at IU. I remember it to this day because I stayed not because I needed to head over to Villas for fun. ...which we still did later.

I was there with you. 

Archived