Rankings/Bowl Projections

rico

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, KDB said:

IU 28th in the AP Poll. Navy slides in at #25.

UCF and Texas receiving more votes than IU.

Navy: 83.  UCF: 52.  Texas: 37.  IU: 27. 

To paraphrase Robert Frost....miles to go before we sleep. 

And that's Robert Frost, not Scott Frost.  Scott Frost would act confused, mutter something about fake injuries and pull his hoodie over his head.

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

As far as bowl projections are concerned, right now. I feel like it is throwing a dart at a dartboard. I read one projection, today (Nov 3) that had Illinois playing in the Pinstripe Bowl.  And as of today... the Illini are not even bowl eligible !

No, but they do have 5 wins and a game against NW left, so finishing 6-6 is a good possibility.  Plus, the Pinstripe Bowl is one where they have a clause that they'd like to avoid repeat participants if possible, and UI hasn't played in that bowl. 

59 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Navy: 83.  UCF: 52.  Texas: 37.  IU: 27. 

To paraphrase Robert Frost....miles to go before we sleep. 

And that's Robert Frost, not Scott Frost.  Scott Frost would act confused, mutter something about fake injuries and pull his hoodie over his head.

Or possibly the road less traveled.   LOL

32 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

No, but they do have 5 wins and a game against NW left, so finishing 6-6 is a good possibility.  Plus, the Pinstripe Bowl is one where they have a clause that they'd like to avoid repeat participants if possible, and UI hasn't played in that bowl. 

Have to admit. The way both Northwestern and Illinois have been playing lately.... it looks like Illinois will become bowl eligible.  However, what's that old saying ?  "That's why they play the game." 

I have followed an Ohio high school team for over 40 years. They have played their  cross town rival for well plus 120 years now.  And going into the game  as of Friday night, last.  The team I follow had 3 losses for the season. Very unusual for them to have 3 losses with one to go. While their cross town rival came into the game, undefeated. Very unusual for them to be undefeated with one game to go.  And low and behold, the team I follow won the game, and became playoff eligible because of it.  Bottom line.... anything can happen, when it comes to rivalry games. 

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Have to admit. The way both Northwestern and Illinois have been playing lately.... it looks like Illinois will become bowl eligible.  However, what's that old saying ?  "That's why they play the game." 

I have followed an Ohio high school team for over 40 years. They have played their  cross town rival for well plus 120 years now.  And going into the game  as of Friday night, last.  The team I follow had 3 losses for the season. Very unusual for them to have 3 losses with one to go. While their cross town rival came into the game, undefeated. Very unusual for them to be undefeated with one game to go.  And low and behold, the team I follow won the game, and became playoff eligible because of it.  Bottom line.... anything can happen, when it comes to rivalry games. 

That is why they call them projections and I would bet that here are more teams besides I that are not bowl eligible yet.  Since they have been putting these projections out for over a month they have to project out to make their selections.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is why they call them projections and I would bet that here are more teams besides I that are not bowl eligible yet.  Since they have been putting these projections out for over a month they have to project out to make their selections.

Good point.  Projections.

If Illinois does become bowl eligible.  I would hope they get the Pinstripe Bowl, rather than IU.  At least the game in Detroit is indoors. Much closer for IU fans. Plus a greater chance for IU fans to try a Detroit Style Coney Dog. 

A warm weather climate for our Hoosiers would be ideal.  My projection.  LOL

Great to hear IU discussed as a quality win for Ohio State last night.  Jesse Palmer brought it up, and they were all in agreement. The national respect takes time, but we are on the cusp of turning the corner if we can finish strong. 9 wins with a bowl victory,  and we might start  next year top 25 with what we have coming back.  Add a victory over Michigan or PSU, and we almost certainly would. 

51 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Great to hear IU discussed as a quality win for Ohio State last night.  Jesse Palmer brought it up, and they were all in agreement. The national respect takes time, but we are on the cusp of turning the corner if we can finish strong. 9 wins with a bowl victory,  and we might start  next year top 25 with what we have coming back.  Add a victory over Michigan or PSU, and we almost certainly would. 

I will expand on that tOSU thing a tad.  The Bucks were getting a lot of heat early on for their opponents.  People scoffed at not only IU but Cincinnati as well.  Now look.  The Bucknuts are just that freaking good.  There is a reason they sit atop the CFP rankings.

But yes, the Hoosiers can definitely be a preseason Top 25 team next year.  Be nice to be in the final poll this year as well.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I will expand on that tOSU thing a tad.  The Bucks were getting a lot of heat early on for their opponents.  People scoffed at not only IU but Cincinnati as well.  Now look.  The Bucknuts are just that freaking good.  There is a reason they sit atop the CFP rankings.

But yes, the Hoosiers can definitely be a preseason Top 25 team next year.  Be nice to be in the final poll this year as well.

Great point on Cincinnati.  And that's why scheduling that level of local non conference opponent serves you better than choosing Western Carolina, Wofford, or Northwestern State. Glad to see strength of schedule was acknowledged and emphasized last night. Maybe the Tide is turning!

2 hours ago, rico said:

Saw a few interesting tidbits about the initial CFP rankings.

The #1 team has always made it to the CFP.  But has yet to win a NC.

The #3 team has never made it into the CFP.  Hello 'Bama.

Of course the sample size is small.

Good info.  To add to it. In the inaugural ranking there were 3 SEC teams and Bama was not 1 of them

On 11/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, rico said:

Well, if we are to creep into the polls after a bye week we need to be keeping an eye on SMU, Wake, and Boise St.  Iowa and K-State losses could help us as well.

This really might be our year. 4 out of those 5 lost, and SMU won a 58-51 shootout to 3-9 ECU.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:26 PM, Muddy River said:

I think we are the only Power 5 conference team with two losses that isn't ranked.

In all fairness IU is the only power 5 with 2 L's lacking a win vs a team in the top 60 teams that I am aware of.

Given the schedule, and Sparty game it is legit to think IU might be somewhere below the 25th best, yet certainly somewhere above 60th.

Do I feel that way personally? No, but that is what the facts say is still possibly true of Indiana right now. Or else they would be ranked.

Had they beat Sparty OR had Sparty not started to collapse of late and acutally make the loss come against a high value team it might be different.

Every one they have played save for the Buckeyes who killed them has went to total s**t lately.Which to the people voting probablyy means the doorway is Penn State.Beat them and it kicks the door in. I could easily see IU jumping right into the top 20 immediately.

I could also picture IU backing in at 21-25 with a 3 point or less , or even possibly an OT loss in Happy Valley if 2 or 3 teams in the last 5 spots also lost as well as a couple receiving votes.

10 hours ago, KDB said:

Does K-State loss help us? Texas was one of the teams receiving more votes than us.

Edit: Thought K-State was #16 but didn't realize that was CFP Rankings. 

Well according to CBS projections we are #23.  Texas is ranked as well.  K-State is out.

Archived