Rankings/Bowl Projections

rico

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

For that to be possible, it means that OSU will have won the B10 title game. The Rose would then have the runner up, but I don't know if that means the loser of the title game, or the next best record.

What if tOSU loses out?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well if OSU goes to the championship and we win out and Minnesota loses a couple of games it could be possible.

Well we need tOSU to reach the CFP.  If we went 10-2 we would achieve the Rose Bowl depending on a few things(we need help).  Even going 9-3 would require help to reach Pasadena.  Regardless, it is fun talking about.

I looked up the actual language for the selection process:

"If the Big Ten Champion is selected to play in a national semifinal, then the Rose Bowl will select a Big Ten replacement team for the 2020 Rose Bowl."

That's it. It doesn't specify whether it's the team with the next best record, the loser of the title game, etc. Just that they get (first) pick of the rest of the eligible B10 teams.

So, the only way to guarantee a Pasadena trip is to win it all. For that to happen, OSU has to lose out. And the odds of Rutgers beating OSU are only slightly worse than the odds of me shtupping Gisele on the hood of Tom Brady's Ferrari in about an hour and a half from now.

14 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

So, the only way to guarantee a Pasadena trip is to win it all. For that to happen, OSU has to lose out. And the odds of Rutgers beating OSU are only slightly worse than the odds of me shtupping Gisele on the hood of Tom Brady's Ferrari in about an hour and a half from now.

Well, it's been 14 hours.  Was the Ferrari everything you thought it would be?

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm not too worried about being ranked this week. It will be clear after next week.  Win against Michigan and we're easily ranked. Lose against Michigan and we're easily not ranked.

I ain't worried about it either...but if we are ranked it means more people are taking notice of the program.

53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you, sir.  How many fans, in previous years would not take a #26 ranking in the polls at this time of year ? ....... Knowing as well that we are already bowl eligible ?

The rest of the season is going to be huge for us. If we can win 2 of the last 3 including the bowl game, we'll have a chance of ending the season ranked.  We'll also be on most early top 25 lists for next year.  That would be huge for offseason recruiting.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:40 PM, Leathernecks said:

The rest of the season is going to be huge for us. If we can win 2 of the last 3 including the bowl game, we'll have a chance of ending the season ranked.  We'll also be on most early top 25 lists for next year.  That would be huge for offseason recruiting.

Let's say we run the table and with that we get a bowl win over another Top 25 team?  In that scenario we end up 10-3 with our lone "bad" loss coming to Michigan St.(who believe it or not still has a chance to make a bowl).  I am thinking we could end the year close to being in the Top 15.  And absolutely be a cinch to be ranked early next year.  And that is absolutely rare.

25 minutes ago, rico said:

Let's say we run the table and with that we get a bowl win over another Top 25 team?  In that scenario we end up 10-3 with our lone "bad" loss coming to Michigan St.(who believe it or not still has a chance to make a bowl).  I am thinking we could end the year close to being in the Top 15.  And absolutely be a cinch to be ranked early next year.  And that is absolutely rare.

That scenario is very plausible 

3 hours ago, rico said:

MSU isn't even a bad loss.  Questionable maybe, but not an out-and-out bad loss. 

And it would all depend on who the other top 25 team was.  A team from the *cue beams of sunlight and angelic choir* SEC....I'd say you're probably right.  Between 15 and 20 anyway.

Archived