Rankings/Bowl Projections

rico

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Illinois seems to be locked into San Francisco. I don't mind not going there. Very expensive and honestly our recruiting there is nonexistent so who cares. Not going to Detroit....so that to me leaves the other bowls we've discussed but like Zline mentioned there are rules but we'll see if those play out. To me I'd start planning for NYC. Just my 2 cents. Long shot at Gator. 

UI is all but a lock for the Redbox. The Redbox will be one of the last two bowls to pick. The last two teams selected should be MSU and UI. We have two more wins than either of them, meaning that if the guidelines are held, they can't be picked before us. Also, the Redbox can't pick MSU, as they played in that bowl last year. So, UI is pretty much a lock to go there.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

UI is all but a lock for the Redbox. The Redbox will be one of the last two bowls to pick. The last two teams selected should be MSU and UI. We have two more wins than either of them, meaning that if the guidelines are held, they can't be picked before us. Also, the Redbox can't pick MSU, as they played in that bowl last year. So, UI is pretty much a lock to go there.

So, is this supporting your belief IU should be going to the Gator Bowl?  Sorry...just trying to follow your thinking.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

So, is this supporting your belief IU should be going to the Gator Bowl?  Sorry...just trying to follow your thinking.  Thanks.

Actually, UI going to the Redbox is probably the most certain of the B10 bowls, regardless of where anyone else goes. The last two to pick will be either the Pinstripe and Redbox, or Redbox and Quick Lane. The last two teams that should be picked regardless of who goes above them are MSU and UI. They shouldn't be able to be picked ahead of us on the basis that we have 8 wins to their 6. And, MSU played in the Redbox last year, meaning they can't go there again.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Actually, UI going to the Redbox is probably the most certain of the B10 bowls, regardless of where anyone else goes. The last two to pick will be either the Pinstripe and Redbox, or Redbox and Quick Lane. The last two teams that should be picked regardless of who goes above them are MSU and UI. They shouldn't be able to be picked ahead of us on the basis that we have 8 wins to their 6. And, MSU played in the Redbox last year, meaning they can't go there again.

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm feeling greedy but IU deserves to face off against either UT or KU in the Music city or Gator bowl. A lesser bowl would be absolute bullsh!t.

Part of the growth for not only the program but the fans too. Not only do you have to do it on the field to get to a quality bowl....your fans in the stands matter after that. Hopefully one of the other bowls wants some new blood, exciting offense,etc....for their bowl. If not I'm still saying Pinstripe. Disappointing for sure if it plays out but oh well. 

27 minutes ago, rico said:

That is what I am thinking.  So with that I think that elevates Penn St. or Minnesota to a NY6 appearance.

I think it'll all come down to who the Rose selects. OSU is going to the CFP either way. There's no hard and fast rule as to who the Rose selects in their place. They could still pick Wisconsin. If that's the case, PSU is a pretty big name that's available for either the Cotton or Orange.

If we get a team to the Cotton, that would likely put Minnesota in the Citrus, and if the rules above hold, us in the Outback, Iowa to the Holiday, Michigan to the Gator, MSU in the Pinstripe and UI in the Redbox.

If we get a team in the Orange, the B10 loses its slot in the Citrus, which would push Minnesota to the Outback, Michigan to the Holiday, and us to the Gator. The Gator shouldn't be able to pick Iowa, as they have appeared in it since '14. Iowa would go to the Pinstripe, UI to the Redbox and MSU to Detroit.

Edit: I'm assuming teams will be picked by number of wins. It's possible that in the first scenario, the Citrus could pick Michigan. If that's the case, the Outback would have to take Minnesota (they can't pick Iowa, and we can't be picked before Minnesota). That would put Iowa in the the Holiday and us in the Gator.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm loving seeing all the picks for the Gator Bowl. That would be awesome.

Another perk is that it isn't until after the first of the year. I think bowl games in January seem a lot more prestigious than ones in December.  When is the last time we were in a bowl after the 1st of the year?

'87 Peach Bowl.

Archived