Rankings/Bowl Projections

rico

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I thought I remembered you in the past saying you were a vol fan. I always say I wish I could merge Indiana’s offense and Tennessee’s defense. Most of the time. 

Lifelong Vol fan.  Mom was born there and I have family there now.

6 hours ago, rico said:

Lifelong Vol fan.  Mom was born there and I have family there now.

I go to school here in Knoxville. Not at UT but another university. Went to two games this year and have a lot of friends that are Vols Fans, including my fiance's family. I would like our chances against UT and a couple UT fans I have talked have said they wouldn't be very confident against IU in stopping our Offense.

2 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

I go to school here in Knoxville. Not at UT but another university. Went to two games this year and have a lot of friends that are Vols Fans, including my fiance's family. I would like our chances against UT and a couple UT fans I have talked have said they wouldn't be very confident against IU in stopping our Offense.

If I was being completely unbias.. I'd say 38-31 Vols

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

You've got to think, that's a little close for comfort for a program with the tradition of Tennessee against a program with the history of Indiana. 

Program and history are irrelevant. We won @Neb... we can absolutely beat UT, but make no mistake about it.. we will be the underdog. 

I expect UK vs IU in music city bowl. Should be well attended. Earlier in the season I think we would win. Now they have Bowden running the wild cat and that kid is hard to bring down. Be interesting to see. They have really improved on the LOS. Big boys there. If we hold our own there we could certainly win.

Things are shaping up well for iu to see a bowl in Florida.  If bowls were selected today, the big ten would get osu in the playoff and Wisconsin and Penn State in New Year's six bowls, which would theoretically bump everybody else up to the next best bowl.

Wisconsin beating or keeping it close vs osu would be the best case scenario to go to Florida I would think.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Things are shaping up well for iu to see a bowl in Florida.  If bowls were selected today, the big ten would get osu in the playoff and Wisconsin and Penn State in New Year's six bowls, which would theoretically bump everybody else up to the next best bowl.

Wisconsin beating or keeping it close vs osu would be the best case scenario to go to Florida I would think.

Wisconsin likely going to the Rose Bowl

7 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I hope this is the case.

If it is, that puts Minnesota in the Citrus, with the Outback next to select. Iowa and Michigan have been in the Outback a combined 3 times in the last 5 years. If they hold true to the stated goal of no more than 5 teams in 6 years, we're the only other team they could pick.

Meaning we'd be in Florida. On New Year's Day. That's big boy territory.

I posted this in another thread, but if everything is assigned according to the rules, the Outback Bowl isn't such a long shot.  There are two factors in play:

• Teams are not supposed to "jump" ahead of other teams with more than one additional win.  Example: Michigan State or Illinois cannot be picked ahead of Indiana.  Indiana cannot be picked ahead of Minnesota, Wisconsin or Penn State.  Indiana could be picked ahead of Michigan or Iowa. 
  • Other than the Rose Bowl, all Big Ten bowls have agreed to have at least five different schools in their bowl over the 2014–19 contract cycle. Also, no school will appear in same bowl back-to-back years.

The Outback Bowl has had Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan and Iowa in 2014-2018.  The Outback cannot pick Iowa due to the back-to-back clause.  The Outback should not be able to pick Michigan, as that would result in only 4 teams in 6 years.  The Outback is 4th in terms of selection order, behind the CFP, Rose, other NY6 and Citrus.  Keep all this in mind.

Odds are, OSU is going to the CFP.  The Rose will select one of Wisconsin/Minnesota/Penn State.  Now, if no other NY6 selects one of those three as well, it makes it easy: the remaining two would go to the Citrus and Outback.  But, if any other NY6 selects one of those teams, that means the third of those teams would go to the Citrus, with the Outback on the clock so to speak.  They could not select Michigan State or Illinois, due to the number of wins.  Iowa cannot appear due to the back-to-back provision and Michigan should be ineligible due to the 5-in-6 agreement. 

So all it will take is for the Cotton Bowl to choose a B10 team, and we should be in the Outback. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Starting to think Pinstripe Bowl is where we land. Based on rules and quite honestly fan attendance. Gator or Outback or what ever Florida bowl had to choose....they take Sconny or Iowa over us every single day. Just the way it is. 

Outback 100% cannot take Iowa, as they played in it last year and shouldn't take either Wisconsin or Michigan, as they have appeared in it since 2014. B10 bowls have a stated agreement of 5 teams in 6 years from 2014-19 (now, who knows if that will stick....)

Same would go if the B10 gets the Gator and not the Music City. Iowa has played in it twice over that span also.

A good performance tomorrow and Wisky may land in the Rose anyway.

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Starting to think Pinstripe Bowl is where we land. Based on rules and quite honestly fan attendance. Gator or Outback or what ever Florida bowl had to choose....they take Sconny or Iowa over us every single day. Just the way it is. 

I hope that you're wrong.  Bleah.  Not a fan of that outcome at all...should it happen.

14 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I hope that you're wrong.  Bleah.  Not a fan of that outcome at all...should it happen.

Illinois seems to be locked into San Francisco. I don't mind not going there. Very expensive and honestly our recruiting there is nonexistent so who cares. Not going to Detroit....so that to me leaves the other bowls we've discussed but like Zline mentioned there are rules but we'll see if those play out. To me I'd start planning for NYC. Just my 2 cents. Long shot at Gator. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Illinois seems to be locked into San Francisco. I don't mind not going there. Very expensive and honestly our recruiting there is nonexistent so who cares. Not going to Detroit....so that to me leaves the other bowls we've discussed but like Zline mentioned there are rules but we'll see if those play out. To me I'd start planning for NYC. Just my 2 cents. Long shot at Gator. 

Why is the Music City Bowl not a possibility?  I admit to knowing nothing about any of this, but I'd much rather see IU there than NYC.  Panache be damned.  LOL

22 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Why is the Music City Bowl not a possibility?  I admit to knowing nothing about any of this, but I'd much rather see IU there than NYC.  Panache be damned.  LOL

The Gator Bowl confirmed they are taking a B1G team, and usually it is either the Gator or the Music City bowl for the B1G, but not both.  I saw some talk that the Music City Bowl could still be on the table just based on conferences having too many or too few bowl eligible teams to fill slots.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The Gator Bowl confirmed they are taking a B1G team, and usually it is either the Gator or the Music City bowl for the B1G, but not both.  I saw some talk that the Music City Bowl could still be on the table just based on conferences having too many or too few bowl eligible teams to fill slots.

Thanks for the clarification.  😊

43 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The issue is, the B10 doesn't have enough teams to fill all of its slots either.

Archived