Tom Allen on list for Florida St. Job

Indykev

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going to happen. Job is going to Venables or Jeff Scott. The latter grew up in Trailerhassee. Father was coach there. Coordinator at Clemson,etc.....my curiosity remains this though. One of these Southern schools will eventually hire Mike Leach. Scary to see what he could do with elite talent.

Be prepared for jobs being offered to both CTA and DeBoer. The more we win, the more they will offer. Just be ready, because it's gonna happen. Fred Glass better balance the checkbook and crunch numbers to keep those coaches.  He better be preparing to shell out more money because you better believe other teams will!!!

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-football-concern-tom-allen-florida-state-opening

50 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Be prepared for jobs being offered to both CTA and DeBoer. The more we win, the more they will offer. Just be ready, because it's gonna happen. Fred Glass better balance the checkbook and crunch numbers to keep those coaches.  He better be preparing to shell out more money because you better believe other teams will!!!

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-football-concern-tom-allen-florida-state-opening

Thanks for the link.  I think you're correct in your comment to Fred Glass.  IU has what they need in Tom Allen.  Better come up with a plan to keep him here...more $$ for him and his staff and anything else he wants.  After that, it's pretty much up to Coach Allen.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know it's easier said than done and money does talk but one if CTA's relative that I know very well says he would be shocked if Tom ever coached anywhere other than IU  unless he is let go and then if he still wants to coach he would. 

This is my thinking as well. I believe, being from Indiana.....he wants to build a MONSTER at IU!!!

15 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Thanks for the link.  I think you're correct in your comment to Fred Glass.  IU has what they need in Tom Allen.  Better come up with a plan to keep him here...more $$ for him and his staff and anything else he wants.  After that, it's pretty much up to Coach Allen.

7-2 and the stadium is half to 60% full. Where is the money coming from? If people can't get on board with this team, when will they. After another year or two of winning? 5 years?

19 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Can you recruit to Fla. St. Or Indiana better for football? No brainer. 

There’s a lot more that coaches have to deal with besides that. 

FSU didn’t even give a guy a chance to see his red shirt freshmen on the field. 

By that logic we or somebody should have been able to lure away Mark Few from Gonzaga. 

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

7-2 and the stadium is half to 60% full. Where is the money coming from? If people can't get on board with this team, when will they. After another year or two of winning? 5 years?

Good question, one that I don't have an answer for...

20 minutes ago, Indykev said:

It's the same old question, I guess.  Does the university value having a respectable/winning football program?  Other universities seem to be able to come up with funds.  Why not IU?  But I agree with your statements about fan support.

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

It's the same old question, I guess.  Does the university value having a respectable/winning football program?  Other universities seem to be able to come up with funds.  Why not IU?  But I agree with your statements about fan support.

Yeah, I watch football schools that support their basketball teams quite well.  Michigan, Ohio St., and Florida come to mind.  Conversely I see basketball schools that support their football team quite well.  Michigan St., Kentucky, Tennessee, and Wisconsin come to mind.  It can work both ways.  I just don't know why it doesn't in Bloomington other than absolute futility on the gridiron.  Search me...

Indiana has a long history of being absolutely terrible in football.  It pains me to say, but IU is one of the least successful power 5 programs in history.

Allen has IU on a really good trajectory, and as long as IU is willing to compensate him and his assistants fairly and proportionately to what other coaches are paid, every indication is that he wants to remain here and transform IU into a perenially strong program.

Given our history, huge crowds aren't going to show up overnight.  Once we have 2-3 seasons of 7+ wins, start expecting sellouts.  It will happen, but it's going to take some time to bring casual fans around to the idea that IU football is anything but a prelude to the basketball season.

Wisconsin is a good example.  Their football tradition wasn't good, but a few seasons of sustained success has them as a perenially good football team with great fan support.

i brought up florida st possibly coming for allen on saturday morning. now everyone is paying attention. coach allen begged for fans to come to the game saturday night, even handing out stacks of free tickets. did they come? no. the stadium was mostly empty in the second half. think coach won't consider that if florida st puts an offer on the table? it's time for indiana fans to put up or shut up. and especially shut up about how it was too cold to sit in the stands

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

would not be surprised to see glass give allen an extension and raise during the next two weeks. hopefully with a massive buyout. does anyone know if deboer has a buyout clause? probably not for a head coaching offer, which he very well may get after the season. hope deboer has a protege on staff

Butch Davis is right down the road at FAU and has the coaching chops to get FSU straightened out relatively quickly.

Bob Stoops is another guy who has the credentials and would be a logical early call by the leadership in Tallahassee.

Ruhle and Campbell might also be on the radar.

Especially the first two, but I would say all 4 of these guys would be more attractive than Allen at this point.

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Butch Davis is right down the road at FAU and has the coaching chops to get FSU straightened out relatively quickly.

Bob Stoops is another guy who has the credentials and would be a logical early call by the leadership in Tallahassee.

Ruhle and Campbell might also be on the radar.

Especially the first two, but I would say all 4 of these guys would be more attractive than Allen at this point.

Isn’t Bob Stoops a coach of a team in that new football league that’s starting in 2020

Archived