Tom Allen on list for Florida St. Job

Indykev

26 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't know if we have the stones to pull it off, but I would love to see us increase DeBoer's salary to $1.5 million or more.  That would make him the highest paid assistant in the conference, and would send a massive message that we aren't messing around anymore.  Then give Allen $4 million with a contract with a lot of incentives.

With the B1G revenue we get, we could easily afford it.  We could spend that much money, and we probably wouldn't even notice it was gone.  If we did that, the only way DeBoer would be getting poached is for a head coaching job or a dream assistant job.

Would McRobbie okay that is the real question.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not really? Lol. Comparing records is silly when they walked into vastly different scenarios. You know that.  And Brohm had to be paid more so he wouldn’t leave to go to UT or UL. Unless another school is serious about hiring Allen, IU still has plenty of leverage in negotiating his new contract. Purdue didn’t have that same leverage. 

Boiler is correct here

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

giphy.gif

Haha well honestly I just try to be a realist and I think it’s dumb how IU people pick at how much Pu is paying Brohm. Like they had no option Brohm had all the leverage and what kind of message does that sent to your school if you let him walk. Ya he is being way over payed but they had to. And what he took over at at PU was a lot worse than what Allen took over. Brohm is still dealing with Hazzell horrible recruiting classes but anybody that knows football knows Pu is going to be tough when he gets his recruits in system 3-4 years. 

Another thing I can say is I knew when we hired Allen he was the right guy! Even after back to back 5-7 seasons you could tell the team and play was improving but the BIG East didn’t allow it to really show up in win Collum until this year. 

I believe Archie will also get IU back to being top 25 every year. He has had some extremely bad luck with injuries and what Crean left him was a mess but I expect this year to be the year we really start to see it happening as long as we stay healthy. 

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Haha well honestly I just try to be a realist and I think it’s dumb how IU people pick at how much Pu is paying Brohm. Like they had no option Brohm had all the leverage and what kind of message does that sent to your school if you let him walk. Ya he is being way over payed but they had to. And what he took over at at PU was a lot worse than what Allen took over. Brohm is still dealing with Hazzell horrible recruiting classes but anybody that knows football knows Pu is going to be tough when he gets his recruits in system 3-4 years. 

Another thing I can say is I knew when we hired Allen he was the right guy! Even after back to back 5-7 seasons you could tell the team and play was improving but the BIG East didn’t allow it to really show up in win Collum until this year. 

I believe Archie will also get IU back to being top 25 every year. He has had some extremely bad luck with injuries and what Crean left him was a mess but I expect this year to be the year we really start to see it happening as long as we stay healthy. 

I think Brohm's biggest question mark and one of Allen's biggest strengths is their ability to build an entire team.  No doubt, Brohm can recruit skill guys like nobody's business, but can he recruit the rest of the team?  I am hopeful that Allen will be able to get some more top end talent, but he has done great recruiting depth across the board.  I mean, he's even signed a kicker and a long snapper since he has been here.  It seems like no position goes unnoticed when he is recruiting.  I'm not saying Brohm doesn't get some guys at each position, but I like Allen's depth of classes better than Brohm's.

I have been on the Allen bandwagon since day 1.  There's just something about him that I always thought would work here.  I love how he has the right amount of confidence.  He trusts what he is doing, but his ego isn't so big that he's unwilling to change.  He's always looking at things he can do to make everyone better.

47 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Boiler is correct here

I agree that they walked into very different situations, but Brohm had a key piece that Allen didn't have, and that is a really good QB.  Actually, he had 2 good QBs.  We had a turnover prone Lagow and a freshman Ramsey and Purdue had one of the better QBs in the conference.  That can make up for a ton of deficiencies.  Still disappointed we didn't beat them the last 2 years, but a top QB can make up for lacking talent in a lot of other areas.

19 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think Brohm's biggest question mark and one of Allen's biggest strengths is their ability to build an entire team.  No doubt, Brohm can recruit skill guys like nobody's business, but can he recruit the rest of the team?  I am hopeful that Allen will be able to get some more top end talent, but he has done great recruiting depth across the board.  I mean, he's even signed a kicker and a long snapper since he has been here.  It seems like no position goes unnoticed when he is recruiting.  I'm not saying Brohm doesn't get some guys at each position, but I like Allen's depth of classes better than Brohm's.

I have been on the Allen bandwagon since day 1.  There's just something about him that I always thought would work here.  I love how he has the right amount of confidence.  He trusts what he is doing, but his ego isn't so big that he's unwilling to change.  He's always looking at things he can do to make everyone better.

I get where you are coming from and if you would ask me if I wanted to trade Allen for Brohm i would say no. I love Allen and you are exactly right he isn’t afraid to make changes to thinks that aren’t working and getting them fixed and he has recruited so really good depth. You brought up some really good points. It will be interesting to see if Brohm can recruit the OL and DL he needs. I think he will but will see. Both programs are in good shape going forward. 

We better be shelling out some money to keep our OC I know Allen gets a lot of the credit but Deboer has been HUGE! Our offense is putting up 30+ every game! 

36 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree that they walked into very different situations, but Brohm had a key piece that Allen didn't have, and that is a really good QB.  Actually, he had 2 good QBs.  We had a turnover prone Lagow and a freshman Ramsey and Purdue had one of the better QBs in the conference.  That can make up for a ton of deficiencies.  Still disappointed we didn't beat them the last 2 years, but a top QB can make up for lacking talent in a lot of other areas.

Having those QB’s helped but our overall roster was really bad. Brohm brought in a bunch of graduate transfers as band-aids that first year (pretty sure we had 4 or 5 starters that were grad transfers). Hazell left some good players but overall, the cabinet was awful (especially what is now our junior and senior classes). 

51 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think our 2020 class is pretty solid depth-wise and not just the skill positions. The top 10 recruits of the class are as follows:

WR

RB

QB

S/CB

DE

WR

C

DT

S

LB

Last year aside from Karlaftis, the majority of the top 10 positions were WR and RB (with a S and DT mixed in too). Much more well-rounded this class. 

the bye week jives well with taggart's firing. his recruits are quickly jumping the sinking seminole and i bet there are a few guys in that well regarded recruiting class that allen was in on. time to send the whole crew to florida and see who we can scoop up

• 2 months later...

Saw an article today that had Allen listed as a possible candidate to replace Rhule at Baylor.  He obviously won't leave, especially after signing a new contract, but it is nice seeing his name pop up on these different lists.  Good publicity and good for recruiting, especially when you have a new contract and no plans on leaving your current school.

Archived