Indianapolis Motor Speedway...

Seeking6

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

For you history buffs, Roger Penske just became the IndyCar equivalent of Andrew Jackson at the battle of New Orleans.  The war is over, but let's kick them one more time, just for fun. 

Roger Penske just carved his own face on the racing Mount Rushmore...what a move by an 82 year old thats still going strong

IU basketball and the 500 are my two sports passions. I was blown away by this. If there is anyone who can be a good steward of the history and legacy of IMS while guiding it into the future it is the Captain. 

Side note, I have spent most of my forum time today reading threads about this on an INDYCAR forum I lurk on. One poster said this should earn him a promotion from the Captain to the General. Another poster replied, “there is only one General in Indiana.” 

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

No Rick Hendrick...he’s the Yankees of Nascar

I grew up a huge Jeff Gordon fan, so I more than considered him. The big criteria for me was engineering/innovation. NASCAR is so strictly regulated in terms of engines, chassis and body that there isn't much room for individual teams to innovate. Hendrick was around for some of the *wink wink nudge nudge* Era of NASCAR in the early 80s,but he was just starting out as a team owner then. Hendrick executes the formula better than anyone, but it's still a formula. Now, things like Gordon's 1997 T-Rex is what would keep Hendrick in the running, but they didn't have much of a chance to show it off.

The four I named built their own chassis for decades and were somewhere between moderately successful to dominant. And in a lot of cases, they either heavily influenced or designed their engines as well.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I grew up a huge Jeff Gordon fan, so I more than considered him. The big criteria for me was engineering/innovation. NASCAR is so strictly regulated in terms of engines, chassis and body that there isn't much room for individual teams to innovate. Hendrick was around for some of the *wink wink nudge nudge* Era of NASCAR in the early 80s,but he was just starting out as a team owner then. Hendrick executes the formula better than anyone, but it's still a formula. Now, things like Gordon's 1997 T-Rex is what would keep Hendrick in the running, but they didn't have much of a chance to show it off.

The four I named built their own chassis for decades and were somewhere between moderately successful to dominant. And in a lot of cases, they either heavily influenced or designed their engines as well.

Ok,good point..then that leads me to wonder about a guy like Jack Roush..he was an innovator and not just for nascar as he was heavily involved with Ford on many projects ...the T-Rex car will forever go down as the most badass car ever built for nascar,so much so that nascar said they dont ever want to see it on track again..😂

17 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Ok,good point..then that leads me to wonder about a guy like Jack Roush..he was an innovator and not just for nascar as he was heavily involved with Ford on many projects ...the T-Rex car will forever go down as the most badass car ever built for nascar,so much so that nascar said they dont ever want to see it on track again..😂

Roush was one of the other NASCAR owners I considered. He's probably done as much innovating as the 4 I named, but he's never really dominated for a long period in any one series. More than worthy of being in the conversation though.

And yes, the T-Rex is up there with the '94 Penske/Mercedes 500I or the FW14B. Brilliance in design, perfection in execution and in a  class of its own.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

If I was to put together a Mount Rushmore of American racing 3 names come to mind for me.  Penske, AJ Foyt, and Dale Earnhardt.  Now that 4th one I have to think about.  But I need another "head" as Rushmore has 4.

Not quite as much of a household name, but Don Garlits deserves consideration. Hell of a drag racer on his own, but was one of the first major supporters of mandated fireproof suits, and contributed quite a bit to early design.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

If I was to put together a Mount Rushmore of American racing 3 names come to mind for me.  Penske, AJ Foyt, and Dale Earnhardt.  Now that 4th one I have to think about.  But I need another "head" as Rushmore has 4.

Jeff Gordon...he took NASCAR to new heights....it’s been said that Earnhardt took Nascar to the point that everyone could afford a Rolex,Gordon took it to the point that everyone could afford a Lear Jet...ever watch the show ..Unrivaled Gordon vs Earnhardt,it’s a really good show

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not quite as much of a household name, but Don Garlits deserves consideration. Hell of a drag racer on his own, but was one of the first major supporters of mandated fireproof suits, and contributed quite a bit to early design.

I was never a follower of the NHRA.  I doubt most Americans are.  And TBH, I have never heard of him.

Just now, HoosierJax said:

Jeff Gordon...he took NASCAR to new heights....it’s been said that Earnhardt took Nascar to the point that everyone could afford a Rolex,Gordon took it to the point that everyone could afford a Lear Jet...ever watch the show ..Unrivaled Gordon vs Earnhardt,it’s a really good show

To me, Dale Sr. was to NASCAR what Bird/Magic were to the NBA.  

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Big Daddy Don

We stopped at his museum on our last trip to Florida

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

What gets lost in the Gordon/Earnhardt rivalry is the huge amount of respect they had for each other.

Dale intentionally came off as a hardass towards Jeff for two reasons. One, he knew he could handle it. And two, greatness can spot greatness. Dale knew from the start that this was the kid that could legitimately compete with him skill-for-skill. Doesn't mean he was going to move over for him, but that was the first time he saw a newcomer that was on his level.

The whole Odd Couple dynamic about their personalities just added to the entertainment value.

I agree,for that time period...but to me what Jeff Gordon did for NASCAR I don’t think it has ever been matched in any sport...he took NASCAR from Main Street to Wall Street.

You could argue that Dale had the biggest hand in taking it from a dirt backroad to Main Street though.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

What gets lost in the Gordon/Earnhardt rivalry is the huge amount of respect they had for each other.

Dale intentionally came off as a hardass towards Jeff for two reasons. One, he knew he could handle it. And two, greatness can spot greatness. Dale knew from the start that this was the kid that could legitimately compete with him skill-for-skill. Doesn't mean he was going to move over for him, but that was the first time he saw a newcomer that was on his level.

The whole Odd Couple dynamic about their personalities just added to the entertainment value.

If you haven’t watched the show ..Unrivaled..you need to..tells the whole story about those two...they made a ton of money together..and yes you are right about Earnhardt treatment of him...Gordon was the only driver Dale couldn’t intimidate,and he even admitted it.

If you haven’t watched the show ..Unrivaled..you need to..tells the whole story about those two...they made a ton of money together..and yes you are right about Earnhardt treatment of him...Gordon was the only driver Dale couldn’t intimidate,and he even admitted it.

Have seen it. And witnessed a lot of it firsthand. It was hilarious how misconstrued their dynamic was among fans. Being on the Gordon side, I couldn't help but laugh at the hatred that came from Earnhardt fans. I kept wanting to say, "You know these two both know they're the class of the field and are playing this up, right?"

Archived