Bye Week Talk

btownqb

ESPN has us 25th in their power rankings. They also had two different writers saying we're going to go to the Redbox bowl in Cali. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27999026/college-football-bowl-projections

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27991439/college-football-power-rankings-week-10

Those are those two articles. No news on Penix.. I expect to not hear much about him. What about Cam Jones? What happened to him? 

Any other general info items to discuss?

I was thinking about the play Gary Cooper made.  He looked fast.  Not TE fast, but legitimately fast.  

I know he got dinged up in the fall camp, but I wonder if he could be a surprise weapon these last few games.  I like what Bjornson has done, and we all know how good Hendershot is.  But another TE with that athleticism could be another good option. 

Thoughts?  I was a couple beers into the game when Cooper made that play, so am I  overblowing his potential any?

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

They also had two different writers saying we're going to go to the Redbox bowl in Cali.

Experts
Successfully
Predicting
Nothing

We can't go to the Redbox or Pinstripe bowls unless there are no other eligible B10 teams.  They have clauses in their agreement with the B10 that they want to avoid repeat appearances in every X year period. 

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Experts
Successfully
Predicting
Nothing

We can't go to the Redbox or Pinstripe bowls unless there are no other eligible B10 teams.  They have clauses in their agreement with the B10 that they want to avoid repeat appearances in every X year period. 

Is that a fairly new rule because I remember iU going to the Peach bowl two years real close together in the early 90's

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Experts
Successfully
Predicting
Nothing

Gotcha. And the music city isn't an option because the big ten has been there so much already, right? 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Is that a fairly new rule because I remember iU going to the Peach bowl two years real close together in the early 90's

It's not an across-the-board rule.  It's specific to each minor bowl and their agreements with conferences.  It won't apply to the CFP/New Years Six bowls.  If a team qualifies for the Rose Bowl one year, and then happens to get sent there the next year for a CFP semifinal, that's allowed. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Gotcha. And the music city isn't an option because the big ten has been there so much already, right? 

I believe so.  Their deal was for 3 B10 and 3 SEC in 6 years.  We've been there the last 3 years. 

Of course, all of this goes out the window if all other B10 bowl eligible teams are taken and the Pinstripe or Redbox bowl is still available.  Then they'd have to take us.  They're just trying to avoid it if possible. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

I believe so.  Their deal was for 3 B10 and 3 SEC in 6 years.  We've been there the last 3 years. 

Of course, all of this goes out the window if all other B10 bowl eligible teams are taken and the Pinstripe or Redbox bowl is still available.  Then they'd have to take us.  They're just trying to avoid it if possible. 

I thought a bowl had to take a certain place team in the bowl,  like it had to take the 3rd place Big ten school.

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Well... I can't go if it's Dec 26  27 or 28. So no Holiday Bowl please or Pinstripe. Truthfully the Music City would've been a dream come true.. and honestly I feel Nashville should really want us there. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought a bowl had to take a certain place team in the bowl,  like it had to take the 3rd place Big ten school.

Two things...

1. Other than the Rose Bowl, which takes either the champion or the 2nd place team if the champion is in the CFP, the bowls get the 2nd/3rd/4th SELECTION of bowl eligible teams, not the 2nd/3rd/4th place team.  Now normally, it falls in that order anyway, but it's not an obligation.

Edit: The Citrus bowl may be different.  I think they may have a deal where they get the 2nd/3rd place team.  But it could go either/or as you go down the ladder from there.

2. Among the lower tier bowls, they often rotate their selection number.  Total hypothetical, but the Music City, Pinstripe and Redbox bowls might have it written in their contracts that they get the 5th selection on a 3 year rotation, followed by the 6th and then the 7th. 

Yep, better bust out your spreadsheet and a crystal ball. 

52 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Experts
Successfully
Predicting
Nothing

It’s more an aspiration than a rule. They’d prefer to have new teams but can choose a repeat over a eligible new team if they want. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Cronk is at least contemplating coming back to  school.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/board/103601/Contents/coy-cronk-update-138008343/

Can anyone give a synopsis? 

I haven't had a chance to watch it, but I'm guessing it came from here?

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Indiana-offensive-lineman-Coy-Cronk-discusses-his-role-as-a-mentor-to-IUs-offensive-line-138019094/

Last 4 weeks we played 4 teams that are very on par with our overall talent (imo).. 

We won all 4 games.. 2 of them being on the road. Basically every other year we for sure lose those games at Neb and Maryland. 

We outscored the opponents 141-62. Is the competition the best? Absolutely not, but every good program had to start somewhere. Rome wasnt built in a day. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Cronk is at least contemplating coming back to  school.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/board/103601/Contents/coy-cronk-update-138008343/

Can anyone give a synopsis? 

Come on now btown, you are smarter than that aren't you?  Obviously if Cronk has another year of eligibility he is transferring to PU....right?  Lol

7 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Come on now btown, you are smarter than that aren't you?  Obviously if Cronk has another year of eligibility he is transferring to PU....right?  Lol

Unfortunately nope. One of the main reasons he was going to transfer back was to be closer to his grandfather who was sick at the time. He sadly passed away and Coy didn’t end up transferring. Can blame the ineptitude of Hazell for Cronk ending up in Bloomington in the first place. What a joke he truly was. 

Archived