Purdue

We took our high school team to watch a Purdue practice today. Saw about 2 hours of the 3. Just thought I’d share some things...don’t worry, I wore my red socks!

Haarms has something you can’t teach...height (obvious) but his footwork is tremendous. Shot it decent from 12-20 feet as well, esp in drills

Nojel is thicker than I realized, really big and powerful. Still won’t shoot it at all from anywhere but the rim. His defense is tenacious, esp on the ball. He made the freshman Thompson’s day a living hell.

sasha shot it well, rolled his ankle late, will be interesting to see if he plays Wednesday. 

wheeler most athletic kid in the gym. I think he’s their go to player, high motor and longggg!!! 6’8 ??? Shot it well from 3 in scrimmage segments 

Williams spent a lot of time on the 2nd unit, my guess is to go against haarms. He’s much thinner and showed good touch. I’d make him shoot it a ton from outside the paint. 

hunter is solid and has grown some physically. Shooting looks to have improved. 

I was most impressed with Gillis. He is a physical specimen...college weight room did him favors. I see him playing 6-12 minutes a game?

3, new player, name is slipping me, will play good minutes as well. Hate to say it, but Painter was pretty awesome towards our kids. Did hear $h!t 65 times lol. As an IU fan, it was a nice experience for us and our team. I can see why they’re so tough defensively year to year. 

a basketball fan and coach I am. I think we beat them this year! 

13 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

We took our high school team to watch a Purdue practice today. Saw about 2 hours of the 3. Just thought I’d share some things...don’t worry, I wore my red socks!

Haarms has something you can’t teach...height (obvious) but his footwork is tremendous. Shot it decent from 12-20 feet as well, esp in drills

Nojel is thicker than I realized, really big and powerful. Still won’t shoot it at all from anywhere but the rim. His defense is tenacious, esp on the ball. He made the freshman Thompson’s day a living hell.

sasha shot it well, rolled his ankle late, will be interesting to see if he plays Wednesday. 

wheeler most athletic kid in the gym. I think he’s their go to player, high motor and longggg!!! 6’8 ??? Shot it well from 3 in scrimmage segments 

Williams spent a lot of time on the 2nd unit, my guess is to go against haarms. He’s much thinner and showed good touch. I’d make him shoot it a ton from outside the paint. 

I was most impressed with Gillis. He is a physical specimen...college weight room did him favors. I see him playing 6-12 minutes a game?

3, new player, name is slipping me, will play good minutes as well. Hate to say it, but Painter was pretty awesome towards our kids. Did hear $h!t 65 times lol. As an IU fan, it was a nice experience for us and our team. I can see why they’re so tough defensively year to year. 

Jahaad Proctor is the other new guy. How did Newman and Dowuona look?

13 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Good stuff.  I am guessing that the new guy is Brandon Newman?  IU recruited him but once Armaan committed it was understood on both ends that Newman would go elsewhere.  That will be a good comparison to watch throughout their careers.

My gut says Purdue is going to be elite defensively with their length but may struggle to find consistent go to scoring options and their offense is likely to take a meaningful step back unless Haarms gets a lot better with his post up game.  Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Good stuff.  I am guessing that the new guy is Brandon Newman?  IU recruited him but once Armaan committed it was understood on both ends that Newman would go elsewhere.  That will be a good comparison to watch throughout their careers.

My gut says Purdue is going to be elite defensively with their length but may struggle to find consistent go to scoring options and their offense is likely to take a meaningful step back unless Haarms gets a lot better with his post up game.  Thoughts?

He was refering to Proctor he's number 3. 

9 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

DC is saying Coach Robby is referring to Proctor.  However your mention of Brandon Newman pains me.  I really, really, really wanted Newman to be wearing Candy Stripes.

58 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

DC is saying Coach Robby is referring to Proctor.  However your mention of Brandon Newman pains me.  I really, really, really wanted Newman to be wearing Candy Stripes.

Based on the early returns, if Newman is as good as Franklin, Turdue will be really, really happy.

Right now I am really really happy Franklin picked IU.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Proctor is correct. 

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I think they will have to win games in the 60's. They don't appear to have a player that will average more than 14 ppg. I could see them having 5-7 guys average 6-12 ppg. It appears to potentially be offense by committee. 

On 11/4/2019 at 9:33 PM, Coach Robby said:

Ok I lied already....both Gillis and Newman are red shirting 

3 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Ok I lied already....both Gillis and Newman are red shirting 

Never realized Newman would be red shirting. Thanks for the intel.

Two burning questions ahead of Purdue's basketball opener

I am watching the PU vs Green Bay game. I never thought any D1 game would be more stupid about making passes than our IU team last year.....till I saw PU tonight.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow..I gotta give Painter credit. Convincing top 150 recruits to redshirt when so many want to play right away is a testament to his winning ways.

Well, the article was sketchy. Writer mentioned that all 3 are redshirt candidates, but then said Thompson hasn’t been approached, Gillis has, but provided no details on Newman

Archived