Purdue

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not a lot of guard minutes available at the 2/3 I’m guessing. Proctor looked really good tonight and between him, Hunter, and Stefanovic, not a lot of minutes left over. 

Interesting.  Do you think Painter would have had Armaan Franklin redshirt had he gone to Purdue instead of Newman?

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I get Gillis...he had a major injury last year.  Why Newman though?

Gillis had surgery in April 2018 and again late July 2018. That's 15 months to recover from a torn meniscus.  I figure the kid has to be chompin' at the bit to play b ball again. I guess it helps that he can practice and everything. I was looking forward to seeing both of them this year but if the playing time isn't there then I understand it.  I bet they would have wanted to redshirt Franklin too. It looks like it's the Purdue way. Seems to be working for them.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Gillis had surgery in April 2018 and again late July 2018. That's 15 months to recover from a torn meniscus.  I figure the kid has to be chompin' at the bit to play b ball again. I guess it helps that he can practice and everything. I was looking forward to seeing both of them this year but if the playing time isn't there then I understand it.  I bet they would have wanted to redshirt Franklin too. It looks like it's the Purdue way. Seems to be working for them.

Might be why Franklin picked IU?

Listening to Seth Greenberg and DD about redshirting and they had a great take. In todays game unless a player is injured it's a huge risk to redshirt a player. By the time the 5th year roles around they will have graduated well developed and unless your team is a title contender they become a huge target for a team that is a missing piece away from a title. Really made sense 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Listening to Seth Greenberg and DD about redshirting and they had a great take. In todays game unless a player is injured it's a huge risk to redshirt a player. By the time the 5th year roles around they will have graduated well developed and unless your team is a title contender they become a huge target for a team that is a missing piece away from a title. Really made sense 

Yep. Plenty of kids enter college already with credits. If they redshirt they can can load up on credits during first season and summer sessions. Some can graduate in 3 years (we've had a couple) but still have two years of eligibility remaining. Prime for poaching. Not saying it will happen in this case but it's a risk. Especially on future recruiting. 

12 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not a lot of guard minutes available at the 2/3 I’m guessing. Proctor looked really good tonight and between him, Hunter, and Stefanovic, not a lot of minutes left over. 

Thanks for your info. Do you know if Newman was aware of this possibility when being recruited?

9 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Thanks for your info. Do you know if Newman was aware of this possibility when being recruited?

No idea honestly. Painter ultimately leaves it up to the player. If they truly don’t want to redshirt, he doesn’t force them to. Believe this happened once in the past with a guy named Jacob Lawson if you remember him. Newman apparently has struggled with some of the concepts that Painter had taught and was behind guys like IT, Sasha, Proctor, and Hunter. Thompson had a really good summer apparently. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No idea honestly. Painter ultimately leaves it up to the player. If they truly don’t want to redshirt, he doesn’t force them to. Believe this happened once in the past with a guy named Jacob Lawson if you remember him. Newman apparently has struggled with some of the concepts that Painter had taught and was behind guys like IT, Sasha, Proctor, and Hunter. Thompson had a really good summer apparently. 

Thanks again. Great stuff. I have seen Thompson play in person (high school) and was impressed by his game. Very steady demeanor. Reminded me a bit of Phinisee in that regard.

Just now, INDenizen said:

Thanks again. Great stuff. I have seen Thompson play in person (high school) and was impressed by his game. Very steady demeanor. Reminded me a bit of Phinisee in that regard.

IT will be a good one IMO. 3 or 4 inches taller than his brother, more athletic, and more upside too. Just needs to keep getting stronger haha. 

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Kentucky seems to like that model.  Grab an experienced player to mix in with the freshmen.  May have something to do with his misses on elite big guys lately too.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very true. Even bigger risk at Purdue they are trying to make it easier to graduate after 3 years 

Archived