Can Justin lead the team in scoring this year?

Reacher

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Smith is our leading scorer, we will be in a whole lota trouble.  I think he will have some holy $h1t nights where he goes off like MSU last year, but overall I think he will be better as garlic bread rather than the lasagna.  But we need him to be REALLY GOOD garlic bread!!!  Lol

From Fischer's call of the game, it did NOT sound like Justin forced anything. He let the game come to him.

And it also sounded like Justin hustled more tonite than he did all last year. If he continues to do that, he'll be dangerous to the opponents.

6 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Smith is easily the most improved player on the team and the best all around at this point.

Will that change? Probably...

But he dominated on both ends of the floor tonight.

How many times have I read posters in this forum thinking/hoping Smith would transfer...?

I would bet on Green. 

Not to detract from Smith’s performance, in any way, but sometimes a player that is more athletic than any of the competition can play very well against less athletic players (like tonight) but their primary advantage is neutralized vs longer/bigger/athletic players.  Very glad that it sounds as though Smith looked good (did not see the game), improved his handle, hit a three, sounds like he is on a good trajectory, etc but until the competition ramps up it is too early to wave a victory flag.

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

FINALLY

Stopped listening to his dad.

And started to listening to his coach. 

Miles...I don’t like to be a contrarian but how do you know that?? There is nothing to suggest Justin has never not listened to Coach. He is a smart good kid. Just because people don’t like his dads comments means absolutely nothing about the kid. I mean look at Lonzo Ball...if he listened to his dad he would be one messed up kid...lots of ball players have over zealous parents...doesn’t mean they speak for them or it makes a problem for the team or anything. Justin is like most college kids up and down with focus and consistency but I suspect as he gets more mature will see growth. I do think he feasts on these less athletic/smaller opponents and he will have to step it up another level agaisnt B1G foes but happy to see him off to a good start.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Miles...I don’t like to be a contrarian but how do you know that?? There is nothing to suggest Justin has never not listened to Coach. He is a smart good kid. Just because people don’t like his dads comments means absolutely nothing about the kid. I mean look at Lonzo Ball...if he listened to his dad he would be one messed up kid...lots of ball players have over zealous parents...doesn’t mean they speak for them or it makes a problem for the team or anything. Justin is like most college kids up and down with focus and consistency but I suspect as he gets more mature will see growth. I do think he feasts on these less athletic/smaller opponents and he will have to step it up another level agaisnt B1G foes but happy to see him off to a good start.

I’m with you. Never have understood why Smith got blamed, or it was assumed that Smith had a bad attitude,  because of his dads tweets/posts last year. I’m sure there are TONS of player parents that are not happy with their kids playing time, how they are used etc but those parents do not tweet or post. It’s not Smith’s fault that his dad happens to be one that does tweet/posts.

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I’m with you. Never have understood why Smith got blamed, or it was assumed that Smith had a bad attitude,  because of his dads tweets/posts last year. I’m sure there are TONS of player parents that are not happy with their kids playing time, how they are used etc but those parents do not tweet or post. It’s not Smith’s fault that his dad happens to be one that does tweet/posts.

true. i hate my parents

8 hours ago, mjeze106 said:

Whoa whoa... not so fast

We’ve played two garbage opponents. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. 

While I am also excited about what I’ve heard/seen out of Smith so far, we as a fan base should know by now not to let our expectations get out of hand. 

I have never been on the Smith bandwagon. Give me five or six game performances like this against quality opponents and I might become a believer.

Body him up and force him to shoot from the outside and you have stopped him.

Well, anybody that can put up 24 points for 5 games in a row against quality opponents is likely a lottery pick. Maybe a tad too much to expect of any player?

He played well. And he brings a TON to the team defensively, even against quality opponents. 

Justin has had his ups and downs. BUt it sure seems a lot of IU fans assume or expect the worst from him.

I also think he is paying for the signs of his father, literally.

It used to be Devonte, then Justin. Just makes me wonder who we pick next as the "expect the worst" player.

(Jeff, I am not speaking directly to you beyond the 1st statement. Just quoted you as a jumping off point. 😀)

Archived