Can Justin lead the team in scoring this year?

Reacher

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This may deserve its own thread, but the ball movement looks like an order of magnitude better than last year, and that’s beauty to my eyes.  I did not like the stagnation on offense last year.  Kudos to Coach for adapting the scheme rather than stubbornly and blindly sticking to something that didn’t work.  I’m not a fan of using seemingly aimless dribbling to try to catch an advantage.  I’d much prefer less dribbling and more ball movement and screening to get good looks and more foul shots as the defense scrambles to keep up with the ball movement.  

I think it's more about execution than scheming.  I don't doubt he's added more wrinkles as he's had more time to focus on offense now that the defense is maturing, but I don't see much difference in the basic offensive scheming, beyond having different players and better execution thus far.  I don't think Archie's offense ever called for endless dribbling and no off-ball movement.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

By the way, IMO, just because Justin endured criticism last season at times and is playing better now does not mean the commentary last year wasn’t fair.  He may just be in the process of carrying out significant improvement, as everyone would anticipate.

I think personal attacks on players is off limits. However, if a player doesn’t play hard, doesn’t embody the team principles, and/or goes in selfish/dumb mode, I think respectful discussion with constructive criticism is fair.  I’m not saying Justin did all of those things but I’m making a general statement.  A lot of the IU fan base was brilliantly educated by Coach Knight on what good basketball looks like.  Coach may have been prickly, but when it came time for basketball nuts and bolts, he taught the fan base well and it resonated.  Then you had commentators like Kitchel pointing out errors, and the fan base was imparted with that knowledge   There may have been non-personal criticism but it’s respectful and with an eye toward getting good basketball.  This has just been the culture of Indiana basketball for the last half century, the pursuit of well played basketball following the Indiana mindset.  Sound, smart, tough basketball with enough explosiveness for the kill.  Lamenting the lack of any of those things is merely an extension of how we were taught as fans by one of the greatest and his protégés.

If a player is playing really hard and following the scheme, then we all realize the players are doing their best even if the results aren’t what we want.  We all support the players.  Every single one of us does.  

It’s all water under the bridge now as Justin is maturing.  Regarding the original question, it looked like Western played a loosey goosey offensive scheme, sort of tracking what Crean may want.  That led to a number of breakaways which were gimmes in the stat column.  The real test for Justin will be when we get a good half court defense that really clamps down on us.  However, at the very least, his mindset looks a lot better and he seems to be playing much more confidently, assertively, and decisively.  With his athleticism, those things bode well for Justin against all comers.  

This may deserve its own thread, but the ball movement looks like an order of magnitude better than last year, and that’s beauty to my eyes.  I did not like the stagnation on offense last year.  Kudos to Coach for adapting the scheme rather than stubbornly and blindly sticking to something that didn’t work.  I’m not a fan of using seemingly aimless dribbling to try to catch an advantage.  I’d much prefer less dribbling and more ball movement and screening to get good looks and more foul shots as the defense scrambles to keep up with the ball movement.  

Very fair and I assume we all will continue to not attack players personally. Effort and mistakes and poor play I get it...but let’s be real. Last year Justin (who was just a sophomore and still very young and inconsistent player with limited experience) got a ton of flack and imo misguided criticism simply because his dad was (one of those dads) and taking shots at Archie when we had no evidence at all it effected the team or Justin was causing problems or honestly doing anything but what Archie was teaching. I don’t think anything has changed with Justin’s attitude or personality except he is a year older and finally starting to click with him. I’m happy for Justin. I don’t pretend to think he is going to do this all year for us but I will happily accept his improvement.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it's more about execution than scheming.  I don't doubt he's added more wrinkles as he's had more time to focus on offense now that the defense is maturing, but I don't see much difference in the basic offensive scheming, beyond having different players and better execution thus far.  I don't think Archie's offense ever called for endless dribbling and no off-ball movement.

I agree and disagree. Yes, some is execution. We have more guys that are more active this season. I love Langford, but he's not a guy that's going to be running all over the floor, etc., same with Morgan to an extent. We just didn't have big 'movement' guys last season. 

But there were definite scheme things as well. The plan to push much faster and more often in transition leads to more movement, IU ran the flex offense quite a bit last night and I am seeing a lot more off the ball screening, back screening away from the ball, etc. Just one game of course. 

Last year we saw a lot of great movement on offense as well in the early season....injuries really slowed it down and then we started running the offense through Morgan and Romeo...probably because we had a bunch of young inexperienced guys. This year we have more experience and trust and with no go to scorer we simply just move the ball and take the best shot. Time will tell though once we face tougher opposition if we will continue to get easy looks...my guess is no...and at that point we will have to have a couple guys step up to be go to guys in getting their own shot or shots for others.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, FKIM01 said:

I think I saw that "dribble around the perimeter and throw something up offense" in the early first half when W. Ill. took the lead.  

He’s playing really well

But Green is not back, Hunter is working himself back, and the amount of shots he takes is going to go down.

And these games are far from the B1G. He will not be able to impose himself on B1G forwards like this. 

None of that is to minimize his improvement, approach to the game or role. He’s doing great, great to see 

• 2 weeks later...

Leading scorer vs Troy. Averaging 16.3 PPG according to ESPN on 62% shooting.

What impressed me even more was 2 of 2 on his 3s. He feels comfortable taking them and is now at 42% on the year. I know the sample is limited and this might be his high water point for the year but, at the very least, he looks like he has improved there from last year when he shot 22%. If he ends up in the mid 30s, I'd be ecstatic. 

16 hours ago, Reacher said:

Leading scorer vs Troy. Averaging 16.3 PPG according to ESPN on 62% shooting.

What impressed me even more was 2 of 2 on his 3s. He feels comfortable taking them and is now at 42% on the year. I know the sample is limited and this might be his high water point for the year but, at the very least, he looks like he has improved there from last year when he shot 22%. If he ends up in the mid 30s, I'd be ecstatic. 

And he's not just cranking them on repeat. He's being selective. He's reduced the number of bad 3s he's taking as much as making more of the good ones.

I still stand behind what i said before.  We need Justin to be REALLY good garlic bread.  He might average more points than anyone, but I think if he is who are team is centered around we will under achieve.  But please dont take this as an anti Justin post.  I've loved what he has done so far and I think he is playing to his strengths.....a slashing, hard nosed D, in rythem 3 player. Own it.  Kick ass at it (which he has so far).  He has clearly gotten better at his weaker points but if he plays within himself and doesnt try to do too much he will have many more ups than downs this year.....as will the team.

21 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

I still stand behind what i said before.  We need Justin to be REALLY good garlic bread.  He might average more points than anyone, but I think if he is who are team is centered around we will under achieve.  But please dont take this as an anti Justin post.  I've loved what he has done so far and I think he is playing to his strengths.....a slashing, hard nosed D, in rythem 3 player. Own it.  Kick ass at it (which he has so far).  He has clearly gotten better at his weaker points but if he plays within himself and doesnt try to do too much he will have many more ups than downs this year.....as will the team.

I partially agree. I agree that he's not a cornerstone player, but I see him as a little more integral than a side dish. Just to continue the food analogy, in a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, Justin is the sauce. On their own, noodles and meatballs provide more than enough nourishment, but it's the sauce that makes the meal. Mediocre sauce is better than none. A ladle full of red gravy from that big pot on an Italian grandma's stove....now you've got a meal.

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I partially agree. I agree that he's not a cornerstone player, but I see him as a little more integral than a side dish. Just to continue the food analogy, in a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, Justin is the sauce. On their own, noodles and meatballs provide more than enough nourishment, but it's the sauce that makes the meal. Mediocre sauce is better than none. A ladle full of red gravy from that big pot on an Italian grandma's stove....now you've got a meal.

I'll agree with that.  

I wasn't trying to sell him short, but i do like your way of phrasing it better.

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I have no idea where he finishes for us as far as scoring, but five games in I feel about him like I did Colin Hartman a few years ago. We play our best basketball when he is on the floor.

I agree. He seems to really know what Archie is trying to do and is perhaps even a little vocal about it. 

I think Devonte already looks to be our vocal leader this year.

Archived