Western Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Reacher said:

I'd have liked to see our bigs get more involved. I thought they were going to be our strength this year. I hope we focus on getting them some more touches in these early games. 

I thought Deron looked awful in limited minutes.  Really disappointing.  I know he's had injuries but he looks like a 40 year old man.

I see the makings of a really good defensive team. I still think we'll struggle to score in the half court against real teams, but the outlook looks a lot better if Al Durham can shoot it at a high clip. He was fantastic tonight.

Smith was also great tonight, he mostly focused on the stuff he does well. Played excellent defense, got out in transition.

As of now, Hunter is a long way from being the guy some described as potentially our best player. (this is not a critique, some rust is expected)

15 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I like it IF you can get guys to stick around.  That's hard to do when some of them are warming the bench their first 2 years.

Ideally, it's progressive unless you're an exceptional talent. Spot minutes as a freshman. In the rotation as a sophomore. Key contributor as an upper classman.

I've been critical of Smith before the season started, mainly because I thought he played "lazy" last year.

But tonite he played like we thought he could, and thought he should. I'm proud of him.

One game, does not make a season, but if he puts forth this kind of effort every nite, he'll be a major component of this team.

Congrats Justin on a great game! Keep 'em coming.

16 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I thought Deron looked awful in limited minutes.  Really disappointing.  I know he's had injuries but he looks like a 40 year old man.

I get what you're saying, but I simply don't believe most of us really know what he's had to face.  And I'm not just speaking of the physical part.  The mental part...knowing his own and everyone's expectations for his time at IU.  I'm not going to complain about De'Ron.  He's had to deal with plenty.

I'm amazed at Rob P. Hasn't played in a month, other than a few minutes in an exhibition, and he shows almost no rust. Granted he played limited minutes, but 17 is still a workout. And to get 14 points, and 3 assists and a steal in 17 minutes (and out of shape) is amazing to me.

He is certainly something special.

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I get what you're saying, but I simply don't believe most of us really know what he's had to face.  And I'm not just speaking of the physical part.  The mental part...knowing his own and everyone's expectations for his time at IU.  I'm not going to complain about De'Ron.  He's had to deal with plenty.

I'm sure that's all true.  I'm just saying he didn't look good and with our frontcourt depth it's hard to see him getting many minutes.

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm sure that's all true.  I'm just saying he didn't look good and with our frontcourt depth it's hard to see him getting many minutes.

Yeah...I think what you saw is what we can expect...sadly.  I didn't think you were being unfair with your assessment.

Archived