MSU vs. UK

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

And we think we are lacking shooters??  MSU looks awful.  They definitely miss Lankford.

A very sloppy game. Neither of these teams look very good thus far.  Then again, neither did Duke and Kansas.  I don't think IU is as far from elite teams as most may think.

32 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

I cannot believe how skinny he is but he is going to the league. OAD I am told!!! Lol.

Assuming you're talking about Brooks, I don't see anything indicating he's going to the NBA period.  He's not shooting with confidence or moving with any urgency.  He air-balled his last shot and was immediately benched.  He's not on the floor in winning time.  With what I've seen thus far, I'd be shocked if he's two and done.  I just don't think UK was a good choice for him at all and I think it's just a matter of time until he realizes his pops was sold a bill of goods.  After a bad game on national TV, we'll see how Brooks responds to a little adversity.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ultimately transfers out and seeks a better situation for himself.

41 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

MSU has been a top tier program, no doubt.  They always schedule these huge games to start the season, and they almost always lose.  They don't scare me at all.  I am not saying we beat them this year like last, but they just don't deserve the #1 ranking. 

Seems like under Izzo the Spartans always take a little time to gel.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

A very sloppy game. Neither of these teams look very good thus far.  Then again, neither did Duke and Kansas.  I don't think IU is as far from elite teams as most may think.

Teflon John's teams always take until December to get where they can be evaluated.  But, that's what happens when you play 52 pickup with your roster every year. 

As for Brooks I was never a huge fan. I said that multiple times to multiple people. That said I did think he could have helped at IU with his length and he does have some some upside. He chose to go to UK and be a 1 and none I guess. To think he was going to play much with the other people Cal brought in was crazy but Cal is a salesman and a pretty good one at that. 

I know we are not happy about Brooks Jr (or maybe even moreso Brooks Sr), but I wish we wouldn't talk so much trash about him. We know his parents check social media and if he were to transfer, IU would certainly be 1 or 2 in his list. He also has a younger brother that is a stud that will (hopefully) be considering IU. His younger brother definitely has UK at #1 right now but if this experiment for Keion Jr doesn't work out well then that list will change.

Trust me, I am just as jaded. I was at his announcement. I just wish we could take it as graciously as Aarman and TJD did. I don't typically care about this stuff - but I guess I am a plan B and C guy and IU definitely fits into his plan B and C. 

47 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I know we are not happy about Brooks Jr (or maybe even moreso Brooks Sr), but I wish we wouldn't talk so much trash about him. We know his parents check social media and if he were to transfer, IU would certainly be 1 or 2 in his list. He also has a younger brother that is a stud that will (hopefully) be considering IU. His younger brother definitely has UK at #1 right now but if this experiment for Keion Jr doesn't work out well then that list will change.

Trust me, I am just as jaded. I was at his announcement. I just wish we could take it as graciously as Aarman and TJD did. I don't typically care about this stuff - but I guess I am a plan B and C guy and IU definitely fits into his plan B and C. 

Great post and my thought exactly. No reason to pile on and look back at this point. He made the best decision for him.

Let’s focus on the players who wanted to suit up for IU and celebrate them. we’ve got some good ones we can get behind!

1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

That means they also see the UK fans wishing injury and accusing a recruit of trying to upstage them by picking a different school. 

While I agree that we shouldn’t trash Brooks. Still kinda hoping he transfers and gets a waiver. 

But Kentucky fans were literally telling Brooks he wasn’t wanted. I think the social media influence on recruits is a bit overblown. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

As for Brooks I was never a huge fan. I said that multiple times to multiple people. That said I did think he could have helped at IU with his length and he does have some some upside. He chose to go to UK and be a 1 and none I guess. To think he was going to play much with the other people Cal brought in was crazy but Cal is a salesman and a pretty good one at that. 

First time I have seen him play and man is he skinny. I was totally unimpressed and it seems he may be a role player at best. He made his choice so now he has to live with it. Who knows maybe he is happy just being on a good team but the OAD  does not seem realistic imo.

I went back and re-read my post to see if I was at all unfair in what I said...

Nope...don't see it. He had a bad game and got benched at least twice after bad plays. He's not getting minutes. The family was absolutely sold a bill of goods and UK does not look like a good fit for Brooks at all.  Sure, it's early and things things could change a lot, but right now, Brooks looks like one of many kids at UK who were told they were on a quick glide path to the NBA only to be recruited over and quickly relegated to a bench extra getting scant minutes and realizing that they were nothing more than an insurance plan for a slick salesman. 

It's pretty obvious from the tweets we saw that dad pushed UK pretty hard and in hindsight, this looks naive on his part. Had he done his homework, he would have realized that many players at Keion's talent level are quickly recruited over at Kentucky and not given the opportunity to showcase their talents like they were told they would.  You're told in recruitment that you are the man only to realize that as soon as Cal signs someone a little higher on the star chain, you're just part of the bench mob.

If that feels like the cold harsh truth, in my opinion it is.  I want Indiana recruits to take a long hard look at how the pitch and reality differ in Cal's world. Trayce and Armaan are being given an opportunity to get on the floor and gradually get up to speed playing through mistakes in games that are more relaxed at least initially. Brooks was more or less thrown to the wolves on national TV and then immediately yanked every time he made a mistake. You tell me which strategy appears to be working for these kids.

19 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

First time I have seen him play and man is he skinny. I was totally unimpressed and it seems he may be a role player at best. He made his choice so now he has to live with it. Who knows maybe he is happy just being on a good team but the OAD  does not seem realistic imo.

That's why I said a 1 and none because he will get limited playing time and be recruited over again or transfer. Yes he is skinny and rather uncordinated in a way. There is a reason he struggled against Ben Davis in the state championship his Sophomore year, then against Romeo his Junior year, and then again last year against Galloway. 

Archived