Former Recruit Statlines (19-20)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Sometimes misspellings are hilarious.  His name is Hoffarber, but I'm referring to him as Blake Hasenpfeffer from now on. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasenpfeffer

In high school we played against a guy with last name of Kirchgassner.  We were getting back in transition D and Coach is screaming at top of his lungs who has Hasenpfeffer?? After a couple times we all kinds looked coaches way and Kirchgassner drove to the basket and scored, of course he was my man. Coach took me out got in my face and ripped me a new one. Remember that most coaches at that time were Coach Knight want a be. He is yelling in my face why in the hell did you not pick up Hasenpfeffer? I said who is that and his reply that Fu&ker that just scored on you. I should have known better but I said you mean Kirchgassner, and he said you knew who I meant and with that my night was over.  Oh what fond memories.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think it just stings that he went in conference. Phinisee is our point guard, and now knowing that Franklin is college-ready, IU's backcourt suddenly looks pretty deep. It stinks that another conference team got him and got better by having him, but I'm not sure it really hurts IU not having him. 

I hear you.  I'm just puzzled by all the 2nd tier guards Archie was offering earlier...some that apparently couldn't throw the ball in the ocean.  Maybe that urgency slows down with Franklin blossoming quickly, but at least earlier, Archie was offering a lot of guards that were well below Carton .

...and yeah...I hate losing to Ohio State...just fuels the Holtmann is better talk, although I was not impressed by OSU last night even though I was individually impressed with DJ Carton.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I hear you.  I'm just puzzled by all the 2nd tier guards Archie was offering earlier...some that apparently couldn't throw the ball in the ocean.  Maybe that urgency slows down with Franklin blossoming quickly, but at least earlier, Archie was offering a lot of guards that were well below Carton .

...and yeah...I hate losing to Ohio State...just fuels the Holtmann is better talk, although I was not impressed by OSU last night even though I was individually impressed with DJ Carton.

Wasn't Carton last Fall? I think Archie targeted him pretty early. Either way, I think our lack of bringing another guard in 2019 was mostly due to the fact that IU already had Phinisee, Green, Durham and Franklin, 3 out of the 4 for at last 2 more years. Guys like Quinoes, Ramsey, etc. probably looked at it and thought they could get more time early, or have less to compete with, other places. 

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

So the guards IU offered were Francis, Carton, Terry, Mann, Bouknight, Quinones, Newman, and Franklin. Terry and Francis were offered early. Terry was because of Ostom and Francis played for Indiana Elite AAU. Franklin and Newman got prioritized after Carton committed to OSU and they were in state players. So I'm not getting your point. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wasn't Carton last Fall? I think Archie targeted him pretty early. Either way, I think our lack of bringing another guard in 2019 was mostly due to the fact that IU already had Phinisee, Green, Durham and Franklin, 3 out of the 4 for at last 2 more years. Guys like Quinoes, Ramsey, etc. probably looked at it and thought they could get more time early, or have less to compete with, other places. 

He was last fall.  I'm glad Franklin wasn't scared off by the competition at guard.  If those guys were as good as they thought they were, a little competition wouldn't worry them at all.  I think Carton would have gotten minutes no problem.

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

So the guards IU offered were Francis, Carton, Terry, Mann, Bouknight, Quinones, Newman, and Franklin. Terry and Francis were offered early. Terry was because of Ostom and Francis played for Indiana Elite AAU. Franklin and Newman got prioritized after Carton committed to OSU and they were in state players. So I'm not getting your point. 

Point is, had Carton come to IU in 2019,  I doubt Archie would have been chasing guards like Diarra and Curbello in 2020.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

He was last fall.  I'm glad Franklin wasn't scared off by the competition at guard.  If those guys were as good as they thought they were, a little competition wouldn't worry them at all.  I think Carton would have gotten minutes no problem.

Carton got blown away on his visit to OSU. Something about the school and program wowed him. To the argument about Rob scaring him off he didn't even start for OSU last night. Walker did. 

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Point is, had Carton come to IU in 2019,  I doubt Archie would have been chasing guards like Diarra and Curbello in 2020.

He wasn't chasing them. He never made them a priority. He offered for some reason whether that was a skill or trait that he liked. Had they been made a priority then I bet they would be coming to IU but they weren't. To back that up has Archie offered any guards since those two players committed to other schools?

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He wasn't chasing them. He never made them a priority. He offered for some reason whether that was a skill or trait that he liked. Had they been made a priority then I bet they would be coming to IU but they weren't. To back that up has Archie offered any guards since those two players committed to other schools?

So why offer them if you don't want them?  seems like a waste of time for everyone?

Just now, FKIM01 said:

So why offer them if you don't want them?  seems like a waste of time for everyone?

He would have likely taken them but if not it's not a huge issue. He also likely cooled on them after seeing how Franklin was coming along. He relayed that to them and they went to other schools. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Carton got blown away on his visit to OSU. Something about the school and program wowed him. To the argument about Rob scaring him off he didn't even start for OSU last night. Walker did. 

Looking at the comparative stat lines, he needs to clean up the turnovers (so does Walker), but otherwise, he's definitely shooting better than Walker thus far.  Ended up playing more minutes than Walker as well.  I don't know if it matters whether he starts or not, but it looks like he'll be getting minutes.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't know if I even realized he spent a season at Nebraska...pretty much zero impact in college:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/moses-abraham-1.html

...and to think how the IU fan forums held such a vigil over his recruitment...😂🤣😂

candles.gif.21f277daf783b132dc6d242ecd3fafc2.gif

Those were some dark times.

Hence all the candles. :coffee:

Keion Brooks Jr in a loss to Evansville 

6 points, 4 rbs, 1 assist (has not made a 3pter yet this season)

Matt Hurt in a blowout win

19 points, 4 rebounds in 22 minutes

Lester Quinones in a loss against Oregon

16 points in 34 minutes

Naz Carter in a win vs Mt St Marys

14 points 

Paul Scruggs in a win vs Mizzou

12 points (0-5 from 3)

Ohio State over UMASS LOWELL

DJ Carton 13 points

CJ Walker 7 points

Musa Jallow has not played this season due to injury