Next three games

OLDIUFAN

2 hours ago, Bob said:

So what do you think the odds or that we win two of the next three? Penn St, Michigan, an Purdue. 

Realistically not much at Penn St. Michigan is 70/30 in their favor...would feel better with Penix. Nothing against Ramsey who is a good player but Penix is a dynamite player and can change games. At Purdue?? 50/50 in rivalry game. So to answer your question odds of winning 2 of next 3 I'm in the 20% camp.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, if we end up 7-5 for the regular season, will the optimism today still hold true?

I would still be very optimistic for our future,  but extremely disappointed if we lost to Purdue.  Also depends how we play against PSU and Michigan.  Can't have an OSU style blowout in either.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I would still be very optimistic for our future,  but extremely disappointed if we lost to Purdue.  Also depends how we play against PSU and Michigan.  Can't have an OSU style blowout in either.

Neither of the next two are anywhere close to Ohio St. 

If we are within 10 at halftime at PSU we have a chance.   They are very talented,  but they haven't put together a complete game. 

I would have rather played Michigan earlier in the year,  but they still aren't playing to their talent level.   At home we definitely have a shot.

We are better than Purdue...However bucket game,  at Ross Ade, gonna be a battle to the end.  We should win, but far from a guarantee.  We will have to play really well to win there.

My take going into this stretch:

PSU 40/60.

UM 50/50

Purdue 55/45.

Michigan has been dead to rights in the last 2 hone games.IU hung tough in Ann Arbor, so I expect similar out of a team with a much more defined identity and greater depth.Also 3 phases without so much dropoff top to bottom as in past years..I just think IU 'O-line, aided by a more creative DeBoer system speaks for itself when rhe QB is interchangeable and the team still wins scpring 30+ as the articles have pointed out.

With Scott runnkng hard and Hendershot really being a major distraction,  IU has an edge over their defense this time even minus Penix.

Ramsey has had them right there once before, so he knows what it takes.Tnat appears to literally be one more play-  if recent results in Bloomington have shown ANY pattern of note. Past close calls are nothing more than reason for confidence in another competitive outing against both PSU and U of M.. Indiana just needs to execute better so it doesn't come down to miracle 3 or 4th down big passes being the difference - or the opponent having one too many WR to cover tight on late drives. All in all both have struggled to pound Indiana the way past versions of both programs once did.It is a bit of both IU being better, and them being worse than the old days but for IU that means everything from the short end of some record setting one-sided history.Best chance for Indiana comes every new season fortunately and I like where they're buimding from with this core.I'll reiterate. I REALLY LIKE where IU is building and the poi t this group is starting from so young.Cronk's comment about Bedford being ahead of where he was Freshman year could likely be echoed by many recent IU stars if they were to be asked.That is probanly true at nearly every position.I used to think "except WR", but Philyor is a monster and Hendershot is such a baller.Only one setting on them out there:  Full blast,all out.Goes for a lot of the kids Coach Allen has in the program.All 3 phases. Whitehead has been a huge factor in the field position game.They have a lot of guys who could swap into the return man role and I hope they continue to leave the blocks they allowed further in the rearview.That(ST costing them Field position)  got frustrating to watch in the game replays before this year, and had become a bit of an issue at times .In close games coming down to one possesion or two often we see a clear way for IU to win .It's right on those replays I watch often and couldn't be hapluer to see them starting their descent i to the past - after the bummer of seeing the best of the Mallory years fade further .I still thinl of the people who saw tye Rose Bowl team.I've been hooked on the thoughts many who mention habing beem around for that feel about this team. The near consensus from my age group and older who IUFB came up around is they need to beat the big dogs and beat the rival.I couldn' t agree more and that should be plenty of.motivation.The main thing is controlling everything that is in their hands to have an effect on with their effort and execution.

Not much they can do about questionable overturned onside recoveries or any other call by the stripes either. If they execute well enough, it takes it further out of the officials hands. Lines are playing well . They're both big and talented , and it starts there.I think Bedford is due a real dominant breakout game soon.Some kids are just better against the best teams .We will see with this group..The Michigan State game wasn't an aberration in terms of how IU is capable of handling a high level D-line.Dantonio didn't even want IU to have another crack at offense.His own words.Both might be more talented than the Spartans, but have they perhaps beem catching over-rated teams at opportube times? Has IU for that matter.  Not sure, but IU hasn't had easy times.However they have responded the way any coach would ask of a young team.and then some.The "and then some" is the difference this time around vs U of M. Little thing I see being executed every week. Consistent punts,decent blocking,plays up front with room fpr mpre in the pass rush and pass protection. All in all they have got defenders dirty and jept the QB clean. True even despite Penix being injured multiple times.  Both sides in IU vs UM should be motivated after a heated contest a year ago.

Purdue got off to good starts vs IU in the past 2 , and played much more inspired football .IU despute being a big disappointment pulled back within reach and fell short by a TD.I still say DeBord vs DeBoer now in all 3 of these games.Difference maker in all 3 in the end.Put guys in position to win and let them do the rest with balance. 2-1 is my guess.

.in the past 2 meetings with all 3 teams left this year, Plays were there to be made that could ha e salvaged victory but there were both early, and late game missed opportunities.The hole was too deep and the ladder was too short .

Never know with a rival playing young, like they have nothing to lose, and everything to gain in putting a bit of a damper on the end of the season for IU.Are they mathematically still alive for a bowl? I havent read this thread since Im busy but wanted to gice my thoughts before bed, since my most recent have aged pretty well thus far.Amd I read posts all day from a logged out account whe. i should be working often.I just don't fet to comment back between that and actually watching game relplays and the excitement reading November IU Football articles has finally introduced all of us to this year.Crazy the kids attwnting have no recollection of IU having a year like this.Kods have graduated recently who are in the same boat so this has to be exciting for the students- from the outside looking in.I'm with you guys thinking the Thanksgiving week scheduling for such a critical but otherwise winnable game is total BS, though.I hope the locals and stragglers show up in force for U of M .The logic of only remaining chance to see a bowl team in a high stakes game is enough.JMO

These teams are used to selling out out against versions of IU without enough offensive balance, as well as in the QB depth,  and I think they challenge Ramsey to beat them deep..Scott forcing teams to use an extra defender opens up a lot when the guys on the other end can turn nothing into something with sheer ability. Philyor healthy alone is a world of difference in a year, even if Ramsey will never be Penix ceiling-wise.This team has flaws.So do their 3 oppoments.I would be happy to point those out,but they're a bit obvious in regards to each opponent, respectively. One last thing.Tuttle has had ideal examples to learn from.Ace in the hole for IU if they can't stretch the field edfecticely with PR. I just think they can. Forgive the typos..On the mobile, and it's a cracked screen wreck.My fingers are too big for the touch input.

Penn State is not impressing me today, but if they lose today they will be (or should be) pissed off next week at home. I like us to be closer than most people think.

Michigan Is looking better, but still not great. Their D is good, but their offense is still spotty. If we lose to PSU, I could see us coming home angry and beating UM.

Purdue is always tough, we are a better team right now and should win. However, as has been pointed out already, rivalry games are always a crap shoot.

4 hours ago, SteveS said:

Penn State is not impressing me today, but if they lose today they will be (or should be) pissed off next week at home. I like us to be closer than most people think.

Michigan Is looking better, but still not great. Their D is good, but their offense is still spotty. If we lose to PSU, I could see us coming home angry and beating UM.

Purdue is always tough, we are a better team right now and should win. However, as has been pointed out already, rivalry games are always a crap shoot.

I haven't been that impressed by PSU all season.  I've watched a lot of their games, and they are solid, but no way are they the 4th best team like they were ranked coming into the game.  I think OSU will beat them by 20+.

IU took runners down at or near the LOS as many times in the 2nd half vs NU as I can recall.I really thought they would run it better. The forced fumbles negating some of their better runs really took the wind out of them. Penn State will be more of a threat through the air.Good thing is Minny laid a clear blueprint of what IU needs to do. IU happens to have the DBs to do it. They will need the D line to keep the opponent in long 2nd downs. When teams have made big plays IU has come back and got a good stop on ensuing first downs. Count them.I've nearly lost count ever since the Maryland game.A lot of ling 2nd downs which lead to more manageable 3rd downs. When IU didn't commit a dumb penalty it's played right into their hands on 2nd, 3rd , even 4th downs almost every time-  since they came right back on an opposing first down and kept the yardage low in that play.

The line giving good gaps and LBs fitting , also releasing and bettter angles of pursuit.Tge D is still flawed , but I give them a chance in all 3 of these games if they repmicate the NU game.Not sure if it has sunk in how dominant that was fron IU. There were line mistakes amd and few plays broke for needless yardage,  but a lot of textbook football by IU - all around on management of field position plus down and distance..***Sorry .I accidentally deleted the entire management context so that read wrong ****

I swear I've never rellayed so many IU. punts.Lol 

Archived