James Wiseman

10 hours ago, coachv said:

will never happen. wow. a lot of folks here are living in the past. with states climbing all over themselves to be near the front of the line to pass the next fair play legislation, the ncaa effectively threw in the towel by acquiescing. the spigots are opening and the money is starting to flow. and brother, how it will flow. by the time the ncaa could fight through the maze of lawyers hired by schools jumping the gun by a year or two, the money now being paid "under the table", will be within the rules. the payment source will just change. that, and the dollars by no small amount. players will have agents, contracts will be negotiated, and the very reason many of us prefer college sports to pro, will cease to exist. 

Boo hoo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

I am starting to see rumors floating around out there that the Tigers' DJ Jeffries might be in the NCAA's crosshairs as well.  

No surprise to me when you start seeing these highly ranked recruits going to a school like Memphis.  Why would they want to go there ad play in that conference which is not on TV as much.

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No surprise to me when you start seeing these highly ranked recruits going to a school like Memphis.  Why would they want to go there ad play in that conference which is not on TV as much.

You might be surprised at how many times they are on TV...but 1/4/20 the Tigers play the UGA Fightin' Creans.

19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Exactly. They had enough time this afternoon to go over to court and file. Married to one...can't tell you the number of times attorneys rush to court on Friday afternoon to get something put on hold. 

Either way. The cloud of suspicion is now on Memphis. That's all we need on the recruiting front. 

Friday after TRO’s are a pain in the a**

I’m a native Hoosier, now living in Memphis.  The NCAA ruled James Wiseman ELIGIBLE back in May, and knew EVERYTHING then that they know now related to James Wiseman.  This is a witch hunt, by a rogue group based out of Indy.  They are losing their grip on their whimsical decisions, and they continue to march to irrelevance.  Calling Penny a Univ of Memphis booster “in perpuity’ based on his $1MM donation in 2007, is a ridiculous ruse to rule Wiseman ineligible.  Gregg Doyel wrote a great article in Fri’s Indystar about “freeing Wiseman”.  Go Hoosiers and Go Tigers!!!

1 hour ago, MemphisHoosier said:

I’m a native Hoosier, now living in Memphis.  The NCAA ruled James Wiseman ELIGIBLE back in May, and knew EVERYTHING then that they know now related to James Wiseman.  This is a witch hunt, by a rogue group based out of Indy.  They are losing their grip on their whimsical decisions, and they continue to march to irrelevance.  Calling Penny a Univ of Memphis booster “in perpuity’ based on his $1MM donation in 2007, is a ridiculous ruse to rule Wiseman ineligible.  Gregg Doyel wrote a great article in Fri’s Indystar about “freeing Wiseman”.  Go Hoosiers and Go Tigers!!!

Wiseman should have never set foot on a college campus and should be playing in the NBA.

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

Wiseman should have never set foot on a college campus and should be playing in the NBA.

He's certainly good enough.

...and I'd have to disagree with @MemphisHoosier.  Either stuff like this is disallowed, or we get rid of the rules.  Penny's deep pockets allowed him to recruit players like Wiseman for his AAU program, which in turn, gave him a ridiculous unfair advantage when he became coach at Memphis.  Considering the ridiculous rule book IU has to follow, allowing Penny to give an uber-talented recruit money to move to his city creates a very un-level playing field.  If giving a million bucks to a school doesn't make you a booster, then IU's booster list should be dramatically revised.  Mark Adams certainly would not have been on it.

Seth Greenberg with an interesting question:

Seth Greenberg

@SethOnHoops

·

Nov 9

Bigger question is did the Penny recruiting and positioning himself for the

@Memphis_MBB

job begin with the recruitment of

@BigTicket_JW

to play for him in high school. Hard to prove intent but the

@ncaa

and others will certainly try to investigate that.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

He's certainly good enough.

...and I'd have to disagree with @MemphisHoosier.  Either stuff like this is disallowed, or we get rid of the rules.  Penny's deep pockets allowed him to recruit players like Wiseman for his AAU program, which in turn, gave him a ridiculous unfair advantage when he became coach at Memphis.  Considering the ridiculous rule book IU has to follow, allowing Penny to give an uber-talented recruit money to move to his city creates a very un-level playing field.  If giving a million bucks to a school doesn't make you a booster, then IU's booster list should be dramatically revised.  Mark Adams certainly would not have been on it.

FKIMO1, 

I agree Penny was a booster, but he gave that money when James Wiseman was 7 years old!  Penny was a high school basketball coach when he helped Wiseman’s mother with moving expenses.  Yes, he recruited him for his AAU team, before he was even considered a candidate for the Memphis job.  So, given his booster status and deep pockets, should that make him ineligible to become Memphis’ coach?  Lastly, to keep myself on point, my biggest issue is the fact that the NCAA knew ALL of the particulars of this when they ruled James Wiseman eligible in May!  No new info has come to light, but they suddenly reverse course, AFTER he has chosen a school and AFTER the season has started!  “Just kidding, James, we’ve changed our mind....”

22 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

FKIMO1, 

I agree Penny was a booster, but he gave that money when James Wiseman was 7 years old! (Irrelevant...once a booster, always a booster - ask Mark Adams about his ex-wife's bumper stickers.) Penny was a high school basketball coach when he helped Wiseman’s mother with moving expenses.  Yes, he recruited him for his AAU team, (Doesn't that by itself feel a little slimy to you?) before he was even considered a candidate for the Memphis job. So, given his booster status and deep pockets, should that make him ineligible to become Memphis’ coach? (No, it makes him ineligible to recruit a player he'd already given impermissible benefits to.) Lastly, to keep myself on point, my biggest issue is the fact that the NCAA knew ALL of the particulars of this when they ruled James Wiseman eligible in May!  No new info has come to light, but they suddenly reverse course, AFTER he has chosen a school and AFTER the season has started! (I'll give you that one, but it's kind of like video review..."upon further review, our first call was erroneous.") “Just kidding, James, we’ve changed our mind....”

My opinions above in bold.  It appears that where the NCAA screwed up was in their original assessment that Wiseman was eligible at Memphis.  It sucks for Memphis that they came back after the fact and corrected their original ruling, but I think they got it right.  They should have told Penny as soon as they had the facts that Wiseman could not play for him.

If Penny's behavior is deemed permissible, then all financial incentives paid to players should be made legal.  Recruit's car is broken down?  No problem...here's a nice new car from booster fan's car dealership to drive while they spend all year fixing recruit's clunker. (sound familiar?) Recruit is broke?  No problem...here's $40/hour to take out the trash and be on call for miscellaneous light janitorial work at booster's business...or a booster can simply hand out big wads of cash to players and recruits or pay their expenses.

What if Penny hadn't stopped at paying moving expenses?  What if he'd paid to rent a small mansion in a high-end neighborhood for as long as James was playing ball on his team?  What and when is too much?  It's either all legal or all illegal because if you make private aid like that OK, then you might as well tell schools there is no such thing as impermissible benefits...have at it and may the highest bidder win.  It's a slippery slope and I think one that the NCAA will eventually slide down starting with paying players for their likeness.  Eventually, I think what Penny did will be made legal and college basketball will be more or less ruined, but until that happens, the NCAA can't let Penny get by with stuff that competing schools can't do.

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

Per Bleacher report JAMES Wiseman has withdrawn lawsuit against the Ncaa and will be held from playing until word from NCAA

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I really wish they'd let Wiseman play but suspend Penny until word from the NCAA comes. 

If I'm NCAA, I suspend both. Then I tell Memphis that we're currently planning our holiday party. Then we'll be redecorating our offices and will let them know in May.

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I really wish they'd let Wiseman play but suspend Penny until word from the NCAA comes. 

so true. In most cases, like when it involves money from boosters, strip clubs or fake classes a head coach can plead ignorance that all this stuff was going on. Usually the coach is removed from the situation by 2 or 3 degrees and it's done by design because it's harder to prove. 

BUT this directly involves Penny. If Wiseman is forced to sit out, so should Penny. It's ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If I'm NCAA, I suspend both. Then I tell Memphis that we're currently planning our holiday party. Then we'll be redecorating our offices and will let them know in May.

Agree. We suspend players if there is a thought/investigation in payments, but the coach never gets ruled ineligible even when the investigation is into whether the coach broke a rule. Why was Bill Self allowed to coach last season, when DeSouza was accused of accepting payments that Self knew about?

Want to minimize these things, suspend/punish the coaches and schools as hard as they do the players. 

Yeah, I'm sorry...how does James Wiseman not know that Penny paying to move him to Memphis is not a problem?  Elite athletes with future NBA careers surely have someone giving them the basic advice that letting coaches pay you or pay your expenses will cause problems?

Suspend the coach as well.  I find it absolutely amazing that the NCAA hasn't already done this given that Penny was directly responsible for this infraction.

Early chatter from Bilas on ESPN is that Wisemen will likely have to pay back the $11,500 and may be suspended for 8-9 games.

What a crock.  We know that a lot of this aid never gets uncovered.  If I'm playing the game and seeing this worst-case scenario, I keep paying players and take the risk that most of them will get through.

30 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Early chatter from Bilas on ESPN is that Wisemen will likely have to pay back the $11,500 and may be suspended for 8-9 games.

What a crock.  We know that a lot of this aid never gets uncovered.  If I'm playing the game and seeing this worst-case scenario, I keep paying players and take the risk that most of them will get through.

So, is he allowed to borrow the $11,500 from a booster in order to pay it back?

If I recall correctly, bumper stickers resulted in a 7 game suspension, so this sounds fair.  

24 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The NCAA won't rule on a situation with pending litigation still in place I believe.  To try and get a decision innhis eligibility the case had to be dropped 

No, what I meant was if he continued with the lawsuit, as people started examining personal records, more violations would come to light. Either higher amounts from Wiseman, additional players from Penny or both.

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

No, what I meant was if he continued with the lawsuit, as people started examining personal records, more violations would come to light. Either higher amounts from Wiseman, additional players from Penny or both.

I.agree completely.  I think Memphis feels if this is all that comes out that's ok. Pay back the 11500 and move on. 

Archived