Where have you lived?

jefftheref

With all the off topic threads I was think about this driving back from Kokomo yesterday. Here is my list. One of the weird things about my moves was in 1977 I lived in 3 states in 6 months. 

1954-67   Southside of Indianapolis

1967-68   Whiteland, In

1968-73    Yorktown, In

1973-75    Elkhart, In

1975-77     Franklin, In

1977-77     Lansing, Mi

1977-78     Springfield, Ill.

1978-80     Toledo, Oh

1980-84     Grand Rapids, Mi

1984-90     Muncie, In

1990-          Portage, Mi

Interesting, as I look back in all my moves I have never been further than 30 miles from one of the following 4 highways. US 20, Michigan46,  US 27 and US127.

Lived just two miles from US 20 in Chesterton, IN 

Lived just two miles from US 20, five miles from US27  and twenty five miles from US 127 in  Angola, IN

Lived just five miles from US 20 in both South Bend, IN and Mishawaka, IN

Lived just a block from MI46 in Sandusky, MI

Lived again a block from MI46 and 3 miles from US127 in St Louis, MI

Lived 10 miles from MI46 and 25 miles from US 127 in Crystal, MI

Lived just twenty miles from US27  in Manchester, GA

And now live just18  miles from US27 in Warm Springs, GA

2 hours ago, rico said:

Can't really give the dates...too much thinking!  But here is my list...

Warsaw, IN

Griffith, IN

Chicago, IL

Warsaw, IN

South Whitley, IN

Huntington, IN

South Whitley, IN

Warren, IN

Warsaw, IN

I am right back where I started!

Rico, have you been to the Magic Wand in Churubusco?

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Haven't been there in a few years. Going to have to stop one of these times on way down to visit family in Indy. From what I remember their biscuits and gravy was pretty darn good. 

I haven't been there for quite a few years myself.  Never ate breakfast there always their Magic Burger.

Just to add to the conversation, which of your hometown's was your favorite. I asked because I'm struggling to come up with and answer.

For IN I'm going with Angola after all college was a great time with great memories, although on second thoughts Chesterton was pretty good as my former home is now part of Indiana Dunes National Park! Hmm!

MI hands down Crystal even though it was during the hard times of after divorce, I loved being able to go out and do 5 mile laps around the lake on my bike!

GA going with Warm Springs as my next door neighbor is Georgia's largest State Park! I do love the great outdoors!

Still which is my favorite?

I think I'm going with Crystal, it got me through some rough times and even though the people here in GA think I'm crazy, I miss the snow, that and I love being near water!

What's your story!

Have to say jeff you have my mind churning on this one, thanks for starting it! So we had a guest for sermon on a Sunday when Pastor was on a well deserved vacation. Since I am at church early to get the sound set up, we were talking and he asked me how I felt about living in the south after growing up in the north. I answered honestly, that I had lived most of my life Rural, and rural people are rural people no matter whether they live in the north or they live in the south, I had no problem with the move. I Thank God that I am a rural person!!

13 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Just to add to the conversation, which of your hometown's was your favorite. I asked because I'm struggling to come up with and answer.

For IN I'm going with Angola after all college was a great time with great memories, although on second thoughts Chesterton was pretty good as my former home is now part of Indiana Dunes National Park! Hmm!

MI hands down Crystal even though it was during the hard times of after divorce, I loved being able to go out and do 5 mile laps around the lake on my bike!

GA going with Warm Springs as my next door neighbor is Georgia's largest State Park! I do love the great outdoors!

Still which is my favorite?

I think I'm going with Crystal, it got me through some rough times and even though the people here in GA think I'm crazy, I miss the snow, that and I love being near water!

What's your story!

Yorktown would be my favorite because of high school and sports. We had a great class that accomplished many things on and off the court. Even though we are spread out all over the place we still stay in touch.

54 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Yorktown would be my favorite because of high school and sports. We had a great class that accomplished many things on and off the court. Even though we are spread out all over the place we still stay in touch.

I had a cousin that was a Dr. in Yorktown.

Thanks  again Jeff for the thread, think I’m going to expand the conversation a little more. 
Which are you woods, water, field, mountain, grass or pavement! (favorite surroundings)
Second question what would be your ideal combination? (Think in terms if you could live anywhere, where would it be)

13 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Thanks  again Jeff for the thread, think I’m going to expand the conversation a little more. 
Which are you woods, water, field, mountain, grass or pavement! (favorite surroundings)
Second question what would be your ideal combination? (Think in terms if you could live anywhere, where would it be)

Where o grew up in sellersburg, I was ten miles from Louisville, on the outer edge of a large subdivision,  and directly across the street was basically farm and undeveloped land.  It was great being so close to the city,  we could get to grandma and grandpa's house off Bardstown rd in 15-20 mins but be on my bike heading to the creek with my friends in 5 mins off the bus. 

Edit, didn't read you question correctly lol.  

I'd take a lake mountain perch over looking the ocean in subtropical weather.

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:
4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Where o grew up in sellersburg, I was ten miles from Louisville, on the outer edge of a large subdivision,  and directly across the street was basically farm and undeveloped land.  It was great being so close to the city,  we could get to grandma and grandpa's house off Bardstown rd in 15-20 mins but be on my bike heading to the creek with my friends in 5 mins off the bus. 

Edit, didn't read you question correctly lol.  

I'd take a lake mountain perch over looking the ocean in subtropical weather.

Love your story, sounds like my kind of story. Thanks for sharing!

Archived