PS Post-Game Thread

18 hours ago, Indykev said:

LOL< I saw that. I thought Archie was going to loose it. said load management under his breath like 3 times. J.D. said Archie wasn't at the presser yesterday because he was tired of answering the same questions every presser. So he sent Coach O to answer the same questions.

i missed that. how far into the presser was it. want to go back and see it

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Archie addressed that in the post game presser. Rob didn't start because he's only practiced 1/10th of the time (Archie's words) of the others.

I'm not saying this is going to be the starting lineup, but I think the most productive lineup will be TDJ (and I really hate herding him into the 5 spot, but...), Smith, Hunter, Devonte, and Rob. Durham has been good, but he's not the defensive player Rob is, and that matters to CAM.

tdj said something interesting at the all-freshmen presser last week when asked about his position. he said "we play with four groups and i play 5 in one and 4 in another"

17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll agree to disagree. Our two best point guards are Rob and Al. Archie himself said that Devonte is better "when someone is with him" (meaning he isn't the primary ball handler and is playing the 2 spot alongside a 1). And while I think Franklin has a ton of potential, he is a freshman.

If I was going to bet on 2 guards to play a lot together, it'd be Devonte and Rob. I do think you have a good point on Al and Armaan having similar games, but I believe to get the best Devonte we can have, and in my eyes he's the MOST important piece if we're going to go very far, he has to be paired with Rob. That'll be one helluva defensive backcourt too.

i agree about devonte and rob perhaps being our best guard combo but i think green is still our best point guard. he's the best passer, the best scorer, the most creative so i think he will do all those things from the off-guard spot. admittedly, thanks to the greed of the btn, i have yet to see us play much this year

1 hour ago, coachv said:

i agree about devonte and rob perhaps being our best guard combo but i think green is still our best point guard. he's the best passer, the best scorer, the most creative so i think he will do all those things from the off-guard spot. admittedly, thanks to the greed of the btn, i have yet to see us play much this year

If you'd seen Devonte trying to break Arkansas' press in the NIT, you would likely change your opinion about him being the best point. He can pass and he's the best outside shooter, but Rob and even Al Durham do a lot better breaking presses than Green. He's probably IU's worst guard in that category. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If you'd seen Devonte trying to break Arkansas' press in the NIT, you would likely change your opinion about him being the best point. He can pass and he's the best outside shooter, but Rob and even Al Durham do a lot better breaking presses than Green. He's probably IU's worst guard in that category. 

Agreed! Devonte is definitely not the player we want handling the ball when we are being pressed.  His biggest knock is decision making (good/bad Devonte).  Not a desired trait for your pg

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Agreed! Devonte is definitely not the player we want handling the ball when we are being pressed.  His biggest knock is decision making (good/bad Devonte).  Not a desired trait for your pg

Agree. Devonte thrived towards the end of the season last season when he was moved off the ball. 

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ill say, playing big with Brunk, TJD,  and Smith,  we have to get the ball into Brunk when he's being guarded by a 6 footer in the post.  Have to recognize mismatches.  

Kind of echoing Gleas here -- that lineup is just not our best, the 'big' lineup is slower and gets bogged down.

Just my thinking -- imo CAM is both experimenting and developing the larger lineup for B1G play when we face a big front line team, or for when we can exploit a smaller team. When Green is back, and Rob and Hunter at full strength, think we'll see more of the 'smaller' lineup -- smaller in quotes as Hunter is I think 6'7 and with him on the wing, that's not exactly small, but it's more wing-oriented and quicker.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kind of echoing Gleas here -- that lineup is just not our best, the 'big' lineup is slower and gets bogged down.

Just my thinking -- imo CAM is both experimenting and developing the larger lineup for B1G play when we face a big front line team, or for when we can exploit a smaller team. When Green is back, and Rob and Hunter at full strength, think we'll see more of the 'smaller' lineup -- smaller in quotes as Hunter is I think 6'7 and with him on the wing, that's not exactly small, but it's more wing-oriented and quicker.

For sure lineups are going to change once Devonte gets back.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I agree with this. I do think we'll definitely need De'Ron and Joey when we face the Kaleb Wessons and the Giorgio Bezhanshvilis of the B10. Be hard for TJD, Race, or Justin to guard those 2. 

Archived