Awesome Texas

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Isn't there some provision in Texas' admittance where they have the unique ability to split into five states if they so choose?  Somewhere I heard that bit of trivia, but I may have been drinking...

You are correct

In another compromise designed to overcome objections to annexation, the 1845 joint resolution that admitted Texas to the Union provided that Texas could be divided into as many as five states. Any states north or west of the Missouri Compromise lines would be free; in the others, a popular vote would determine whether slavery could exist.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You are correct

In another compromise designed to overcome objections to annexation, the 1845 joint resolution that admitted Texas to the Union provided that Texas could be divided into as many as five states. Any states north or west of the Missouri Compromise lines would be free; in the others, a popular vote would determine whether slavery could exist.

I have no clue if that info is incorrect. But the page does have at least one error that makes me wonder  

The Northwest territory was not formed into 10 states(Jefferson wanted that to happen). It was formed into 5 states and part of a sixth. Commonly known now as Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin. With a bit of Minny in there as well. The rest of that state would come from the Louisiana Purchase 

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I have no clue if that info is incorrect. But the page does have at least one error that makes me wonder  

The Northwest territory was not formed into 10 states(Jefferson wanted that to happen). It was formed into 5 states and part of a sixth. Commonly known now as Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin. With a bit of Minny in there as well. The rest of that state would come from the Louisiana Purchase 

And it's easy to define geographically. Go to the convergence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, go north to the Canadian border on the Mississippi, go east on the Ohio to the Pennsylvania border, then follow the Great Lakes.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

And it's easy to define geographically. Go to the convergence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, go north to the Canadian border on the Mississippi, go east on the Ohio to the Pennsylvania border, then follow the Great Lakes.

Wondering if the author was lumping all states formed from post revolutionary territories. 

That would be 10 with Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky 

I left Indiana in 1980 to work for TI and have been in Texas since 1984.  I certainly have no plans to leave.  What's that saying we have in Texas.  I wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could. No matter how great it is to live in Texas, I'll always root for IU basketball. 

Hopefully Shaka has turned the corner with the UT program coming off the NIT title.   Maybe they can make some noise this season and he keeps his job.    I'm not a fan of his offense and how quickly they shoot 3's but he checks all the boxes as a coach, IMO.   Maybe having a group of guards who are now upperclassmen is the difference. Coleman really looks like he has added consistency to his 3 point shot. Jones returning from Leukemia is just a great story. 

Archived