Athletes to be paid for name, image and likeness

Iuprof

Although this is not something I like, it seems like athletes being paid is going to be happening sooner for their name, likeness, etc. California's bill was for it to start in 2023, but other state legislatures, Florida for one are trying to get this going much sooner, so the question is how it will affect basketball. There are a million other questions to be answered as to the particulars, but being a finance guy, I have been thinking how it will affect the NCAA basketball and of more importance, Indiana.

I first thought about college location, and what kind of impact it would have, and it will, but smaller than I first thought. The major question is how do you recruit when you really don't know how good a 5* is going to be, but you have to treat him like he is going to be the next Michael Jordan in terms of getting his name, and likeness out there which will equate to more dollars. I think it is also important to ask the question is how this will affect recruiting, and when I ask this question I look at it a different way. Will the recruiting budget of colleges in part be used to lure players to come and play for you if you deem them important to the team. In this case, Indiana having the highest recruiting budget would be in great shape. The pockets of the bid donors, how big the alumni fan base is and how far reaches, are all  for IU also.

There is so much too think of, but just in general financial terms, I would love to start getting some thoughts on how this is going to affect teams in their recruiting, how it will change, and of course how it will impact Indiana. Until details are filled in, we can only go off of the basic idea of what is going to happen. As I said, I am a bit weary of what is going on, but at least from a financial standpoint, Indiana is in good shape, and I know of many Universities who cannot say the same. Love to hear thoughts on this new topic, which I have not seen a thread posted on yet.

• Like 3

Couldn’t IU essentially have a marketing coordinator the way football staffs have recruiting coordinators?  The marketing coordinator would essentially line up sponsorship opportunities for IU players from businesses such as grocery stores, car dealerships, clothing lines.  Maybe the shoe guys would be involved. 

For those who don’t like the new laws, we have to deal with the laws we have, not the ones we want.  

Louisville, Arizona, Kansas etc probably already have task forces set up on how to operate under the new regime.  The rules aren’t final, but you can still start thinking about what you will do under the general premise.  IU has too much fan interest and marketing expertise to not optimize its advantage.  

• Like 1

Nice topic and great questions guys. 

Can see reasons to think a school like UCLA or Duke would have an advantage, and there’s the question about how not having the name on our jerseys might impact things negatively. Have to think that will get revisited at some point. 

On the other hand IU has real pedigree in the public eye, even if the luster has taken a beating over the past decade. Can see a marketing coordinator but don’t know how the new laws/rules will work yet

I see it come down to the size of the market. Iowa will take a licking. Indiana still has some marketing benefits but will lose ground to large markets and elite teams. UCLA will have silicon valley supporting the, paying for players. UCLA will be able to offer tv roles, maybe movie roles to players. 

I see the near end of amateur college athletics. Many colleges won't be able to compete and will drop out of the NCAA. A new organization will form that will be true amateurs. The NCAA has written its death warrant.

I see cats and dogs living together. Total anarchy and then the eventual collapse of society and sport in general. Recruiting will be the least of our worries when the four horsemen show up at Assembly Hall.

Good question though and I look forward to hearing others thoughts.

To me it balances recruiting. Large market teams already have the benefits of that, see IU losing to UCLA for a recruit a few years ago. To me this will actually level the playing field. This will allow schools who follow the rules to be able to funnel money to the players legally, narrowing the gap of those schools who illegally do it now. 

This change is interesting bc it will likely coincide, or close to it, with the NBA allowing high schoolers to go to the pros. So the elite of the elite will not be in the NCAA anymore. So building a roster that is based on 3-4 year players is even more important now. 

IU stands to benefit greatly from these changes. IU has history and money. It also has a coach who knows all the loopholes and where we can close the gap quickly once things become legal. Less elite 5* for Duke and UK bc the one and done rule is gone and a more balanced playing field, IU wins. Archie just needs to keep building his roster so when the rules change we are sitting as a top 10 team. Which I think we will be. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iuprof said:

Although this is not something I like, it seems like athletes being paid is going to be happening sooner for their name, likeness, etc. California's bill was for it to start in 2023, but other state legislatures, Florida for one are trying to get this going much sooner, so the question is how it will affect basketball. There are a million other questions to be answered as to the particulars, but being a finance guy, I have been thinking how it will affect the NCAA basketball and of more importance, Indiana.

I first thought about college location, and what kind of impact it would have, and it will, but smaller than I first thought. The major question is how do you recruit when you really don't know how good a 5* is going to be, but you have to treat him like he is going to be the next Michael Jordan in terms of getting his name, and likeness out there which will equate to more dollars. I think it is also important to ask the question is how this will affect recruiting, and when I ask this question I look at it a different way. Will the recruiting budget of colleges in part be used to lure players to come and play for you if you deem them important to the team. In this case, Indiana having the highest recruiting budget would be in great shape. The pockets of the bid donors, how big the alumni fan base is and how far reaches, are all  for IU also.

There is so much too think of, but just in general financial terms, I would love to start getting some thoughts on how this is going to affect teams in their recruiting, how it will change, and of course how it will impact Indiana. Until details are filled in, we can only go off of the basic idea of what is going to happen. As I said, I am a bit weary of what is going on, but at least from a financial standpoint, Indiana is in good shape, and I know of many Universities who cannot say the same. Love to hear thoughts on this new topic, which I have not seen a thread posted on yet.

this was discussed in a big thread about a month ago under california's fair pay act. there was a lot of great analysis by coachv. i highly recommend reading it

Edited by coachv
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Couldn’t IU essentially have a marketing coordinator the way football staffs have recruiting coordinators?  The marketing coordinator would essentially line up sponsorship opportunities for IU players from businesses such as grocery stores, car dealerships, clothing lines.  Maybe the shoe guys would be involved. 

For those who don’t like the new laws, we have to deal with the laws we have, not the ones we want.  

Louisville, Arizona, Kansas etc probably already have task forces set up on how to operate under the new regime.  The rules aren’t final, but you can still start thinking about what you will do under the general premise.  IU has too much fan interest and marketing expertise to not optimize its advantage.  

I have had similar thoughts to what you posted. IU needs to start figuring out what to do and how to handle this now, not three years from now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, ESPN and their advertisers just made who knows how much money last night airing little James and wade Jr.  Don't miss it as they will be aired 16 more times this season.  These are now essentially professional athletes not getting paid.  Que the brand building argument.  Wade may never play in the NBA.   If im them I'm getting consulting from the Kardashian and hitlons on how to get paid for being a social media darling. 

Edited by NotIThatLives

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Good to see Miami football still sucking after all the $$$ the idiot billionaire threw around.  I hope their basketball team underperforms as well.

We might want to save this post for a year or two down the road. 2023 Canes class is legit....and as far as sucking their down 11 starters this year. I for one applaud alumni and fans who want to help their teams legally in recruiting. Wish we had more of them! 

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We might want to save this post for a year or two down the road. 2023 Canes class is legit....and as far as sucking their down 11 starters this year. I for one applaud alumni and fans who want to help their teams legally in recruiting. Wish we had more of them! 

Save this post while you're at it. 

I don't applaud that clown making a mockery of college athletics and I don't apologize for enjoying their failure thus far.  Ruiz has accelerated and exaggerated everything that could go wrong with the NIL and I'm going to enjoy Miami's failure as long as it persists.  The NIL will eventually completely destroy the student-athlete myth making college teams little more than NBA farm clubs.  I'll also predict that college athletes won't even attend classes within ten years.

If that happens, you can have college sports.  I'll pay as little attention to the college game as I do the pro game.   What an effing joke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 3:13 PM, Seeking6 said:

On 10/27/2022 at 1:19 AM, FKIM01 said:

Save this post while you're at it. 

I don't applaud that clown making a mockery of college athletics and I don't apologize for enjoying their failure thus far.  Ruiz has accelerated and exaggerated everything that could go wrong with the NIL and I'm going to enjoy Miami's failure as long as it persists.  The NIL will eventually completely destroy the student-athlete myth making college teams little more than NBA farm clubs.  I'll also predict that college athletes won't even attend classes within ten years.

If that happens, you can have college sports.  I'll pay as little attention to the college game as I do the pro game.   What an effing joke.

Canes just got commitment from a 5-star CB who is rated the #4 player in his class. No word on how much he was paid for his commitment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Canes just got commitment from a 5-star CB who is rated the #4 player in his class. No word on how much he was paid for his commitment.

Yep....and 1 more coming soon. I'm sure there is some NIL but these guys are Florida guys. For those keeping score at home Mario is 3-1 vs Saban and 5-2 vs Billy Napier on head to head recruiting battles. Not a bad start for 2023 class. 

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep....and 1 more coming soon. I'm sure there is some NIL but these guys are Florida guys. For those keeping score at home Mario is 3-1 vs Saban and 5-2 vs Billy Napier on head to head recruiting battles. Not a bad start for 2023 class. 

Sure hope they don't bring back 'the miami sw..er, ' those guys were a$$holes!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Sure hope they don't bring back 'the miami sw..er, ' those guys were a$$holes!!

Canes fan since 1983. I understand....but I can't wait for it to happen. Totally different programs but Canes and IU hoops have been also mirrors of each other. Historical dominance and ran into the ground for past 20 years with a few seasons here and there.

• Like 1