Kentucky upset

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Walter McCarty was interviewed this morning on NBA Radio. Great interview.

Asked about his thoughts on the pre-season prediction Evansville would finish no better than 8th in their conf, he answered those predictions were based on last year's team, a completely different team, they had no knowledge of this year's team. 

Hmm, sound familiar?

He also talked about how the guys on this team are great guys who really like each other, the chemistry. ----- Check

McCarty is a class act all the way around, very gracious, went back home to Evansville from the NBA, he's all about his home town and growing the program right. Really nice to see.

Hopefully he sticks around UE for a while.  Could get a Butler-ish thing going down there.  Lots of talent within a few hours drive to build a pretty darn good roster.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

McCarty can never cross the Ohio River again:

Asked where Tuesday night's win ranked among his biggest moments in Rupp Arena, McCarty said, "This is at the top."

"Just when I think you couldn't possibly do anything dumber, you go and do say something like this......AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!"

I really don't know if this is truth or not but a poster on another board I peruse said this came from ESPN's stat department and I paraphrase...

"Last night was the first time ever that UK, while ranked #1, lost at home to a non-con opponent.  Their record heading into the game against such foes was 39-0."

I laughed so hard.  If true it is pure gold.  Even if it isn't it is funny as hell.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I really don't know if this is truth or not but a poster on another board I peruse said this came from ESPN's stat department and I paraphrase...

"Last night was the first time ever that UK, while ranked #1, lost at home to a non-con opponent.  Their record heading into the game against such foes was 39-0."

I laughed so hard.  If true it is pure gold.  Even if it isn't it is funny as hell.

They just cant seem to get to 40-0. :coffee:😏🤣

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

Hopefully he sticks around UE for a while.  Could get a Butler-ish thing going down there.  Lots of talent within a few hours drive to build a pretty darn good roster.

From listening to his interview, I think he will. He talked about how he always wanted to coach in college bball - and Frank Isola (the host), who has known him and talked to him since his Knick days, echoed how they'd talked about that before -- as in he's genuine -- and why -- how he is a people person, has always wanted to help younger guys in college to give them a path and grow them as young men, how he enjoys recruiting, the interaction with families and the kids, and how he feels about E-ville. Really comes across as a genuine guy, first-class character, and was widely admired as such in his NBA days.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

From listening to his interview, I think he will. He talked about how he always wanted to coach in college bball - and Frank Isola (the host), who has known him and talked to him since his Knick days, echoed how they'd talked about that before -- as in he's genuine -- and why -- how he is a people person, has always wanted to help younger guys in college to give them a path and grow them as young men, how he enjoys recruiting, the interaction with families and the kids, and how he feels about E-ville. Really comes across as a genuine guy, first-class character, and was widely admired as such in his NBA days.

I can tell you from my time with the Celtics, Walter McCarty is a legit, genuine, kind person. He's probably the nicest, most sincere player I worked with in my time there. He not only treated the front office/business staff with respect, which wasn't always the case, but he actually took time to get to know the people. He was always the go-to guy you could count on for community relations events or PR events, etc. 

Super guy. Tommy Heinsohn has a whole "I love Waltah" thing he would do anytime McCarty made a play, etc., and it was really true. The entire front office, teammate, fans, coaches, etc. all love him in Boston. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can tell you from my time with the Celtics, Walter McCarty is a legit, genuine, kind person. He's probably the nicest, most sincere player I worked with in my time there. He not only treated the front office/business staff with respect, which wasn't always the case, but he actually took time to get to know the people. He was always the go-to guy you could count on for community relations events or PR events, etc. 

Super guy. Tommy Heinsohn has a whole "I love Waltah" thing he would do anytime McCarty made a play, etc., and it was really true. The entire front office, teammate, fans, coaches, etc. all love him in Boston. 

Yeah they played on of Heinsohn's I love walter clips -- good stuff

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Take this for what it's worth and hope I don't get flamed..... Talk was Chaney also interviewed for the job. But Walter was the only candidate that actually spoke to the players. Chaney did not. I don't have any sources to back it up.

John Chaney?   🤔🤔🤔

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Take this for what it's worth and hope I don't get flamed..... Talk was Chaney also interviewed for the job. But Walter was the only candidate that actually spoke to the players. Chaney did not. I don't have any sources to back it up.

Who the hell is Chaney?  

21 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Was a time when the Purple Aces were the Rock Stars of Div 2.  Till this happened :

University of Evansville Aces plane crash, the 40th anniversary 

Could not be happier for them this evening.

Wow.  It was so exciting for them to be moving up to DIV-1 this season.  Thta was really tough to take.  I remember you could park your car  the next day in or near the Melody Hills subdivision and walk up a path to the top of a hill and overlook the ravine and see the wreckage.  Really eerie. 

I wonder if Charles hates UK because he played at Auburn or if he dislikes Cal.  I remember in the playoffs he slammed Cal for holding back Jamal murray's career after one of Murray's stellar playoff games. Maybe he was joking but maybe not. Who knows with that guy.  Maybe he just likes Walter. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28073969/charles-barkley-highlights-congratulatory-wishes-evansville

Archived