North Alabama Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Indykev said:

I was at the game tonight. it was the longest game in history. The same ref called every foul. I dont know how these smaller school coaches stay in the game. I would be thrown out midway through the first half.

Anyway, our defense, to slow reacting. Not impressed watching Brunk live. Just a body. No flow to the game with all the subbing. Just was a boring game to watch. Hunter and Anderson coming alone, both showed good things. TJD is special, enjoy the year or two we have him. Rob with a Rob type game.3-0 i guess its why we play teams like this. On to the next cupcake.

I had to listen to game on radio to start. Ugly, ugly flow. All the whistles stop/start play,etc.....there was times even the radio guys were like look we want IU to do well and receive benefit of calls but some of these calls aren't fouls.

PS....apparently it's illegal to screen in hoops. 

10 hours ago, Reacher said:

You are right, should have said his scoring was MIA. After starting with double digit games, I was hoping an off night for him would be 8-10 points

I'm starting to think that Justin's scoring is going to be like Devonte's scoring last year. Some nights you'll get 5, some nights you'll get 25, and not much in between.

But, given his athleticism, if he's playing solid D and at least not hindering the flow of the offense, he doesn't need to score to contribute.

It's also a sign of maturity. If you're not feeling it, don't continue to jack up bad shots. Every night isn't going to be your night. Contribute how you can and adjust for the next game.

Watched Archie's presser, along with the Q/A with Damezi, TJD, and Jerome and Coach Puhol's comments. Archie talked about Justin being just as happy tonight as he was the 2 previous wins when he played much better because they still won the game. Nice to hear.

NA Coach Puhol's said IU was well coached, physical and deep. Said "they come at you in waves." Also mentioned the adjustments made by IU that led to the second half run. I think he's a pretty good coach and NA has a bright future.

The kids spoke more about defense than anything. Jerome said he's feeling more comfortable every time out. 2 6'7 wing players that can shoot...that's a nightmare for a lot of teams we're going to play.

12 hours ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

TJD 20pts on 4 shots

Damezi and Jerome with strong performances

No 3pt allowed in the 2nd half 

Strong performance overall and really like the defensive effort in the 2nd half. Build some consistency on that end and add DG to the offense and we might just have a surprising year.

DG on defense should help against the 3’s. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I had to listen to game on radio to start. Ugly, ugly flow. All the whistles stop/start play,etc.....there was times even the radio guys were like look we want IU to do well and receive benefit of calls but some of these calls aren't fouls.

PS....apparently it's illegal to screen in hoops. 

IU almost set the record for most FT hit in a game at 37.

And I still hate Butch from that banked in 3 to win the B10 regular season during Gordon's freshman year......

The depth we have. and the growth in maturity and chemistry, is starting to show.

Hunter is a player -- he's going to continue to get better as he continues to get more comfortable -- timing, game conditioning, confidence, and just the 'feel' of the game again -- picking up on the above, his wing scoring coupled with his D is really going to boost this team.

Hoping Green gets on the floor soon. It's likely going to take a couple games or so for him to get his conditioning and feel back and when he's healthy, the level of our D -- really the core of this team -- is going to jump, along with his outside shooting to further spread the floor for our legit bigs. 

This team can be a lot better than the predictions. 

Second half defense needs to be all the time defense.

Free throws! Woo hoo!

we are starting to find shots falling from range, thank god.

Let’s get Devonte into the mix to see what we have offensively with his dynamic.

Overall, this looks like the most balanced and coach able team Archie has had in Bloomington. I think the ceiling is gonna be reasonably high.

57 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We say the team is deep too often...this team actually is. Five players in double figures and every scholarship player except Devonte scored.

That's going to pay off in February and March.

We have 6 or so guys that can drop 20+ on any given night.  Not saying we are Golden State from the last few years, but thats going to be hard to game plan for.

Getting -- and STAYING -- healthy, I think this team will play in March. 

The D still needs work, that's the ground from which this team will continue to grow, but again, still missing Green, Rob isn't 100% and Hunter is still getting there, and we see improvements after lapses (second half). Do think this team will get there.

And yes, we have the ability to have offense now, from all spots on the floor, and that should improve with Green, Hunter and Rob

Inside / at rim -- primarily TJD, Smith, add in Davis and Brunk in spurts, Race's game is growing fast

Guards and Wings / to the rim - Al, Hunter, Green, Anderson, Rob, Franklin, really all of these guys are capable scorers

Despite not being a particularly good 3 point shooting team, I think our offensive balance will serve us very well over the course of the season.

I don't see us losing too many games as the result of inadequate offense.  As we saw last night with Justin not having a good game, others stepped up.

Our vulnerability right now is defense.  Rob, Justin, TJD, and Race could be considered good to plus defenders, but I think we are weak defensively after those 4.  

Last night was my first chance to see the team this year...

Youth was evident in some poor rotations and communication in the first half. We let them get comfortable shooting and that carried over into the latter part of the first half when we were doing better with rotations and closeouts but they were hitting shots that were contested...That being said, the team does the little things much better than the last two years, in a stance, boxing out, closing out better, that sort of thing...

Some of the problems I saw were over help, sometimes the wrong man helped, and sometimes we rotated incorrectly when X-ing out on closeouts...those things were much better in the second half...

I like the new diamond action on offense (lots of teams use it, but it is new to us) but I'd like to see us make a few more reads out of it...we are more comfortable in the other actions you can tell because we are making better reads in the sets that we have had in place for the past couple of years...

Jerome Hunter is inches away from really blowing up. He had three or four shots rim out, and the timing on his drives is coming along...I like that he can post when guarded by a smaller player, and he handled the ball well in the full court.

Armaan can be really good...he struggled defensively in the first half but showed how coachable he is by taking his benching in the first half and turning in a much better second half...He will be a very good on the ball defender and positions himself pretty well for a freshmen off the ball...his mistakes come in rotating.

Our big men will look much better when the matchups make more sense for them...

Phinisee is the best screener on our team, our forwards need to improve in that way...

I'm very optimistic!

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Despite not being a particularly good 3 point shooting team, I think our offensive balance will serve us very well over the course of the season.

I don't see us losing too many games as the result of inadequate offense.  As we saw last night with Justin not having a good game, others stepped up.

Our vulnerability right now is defense.  Rob, Justin, TJD, and Race could be considered good to plus defenders, but I think we are weak defensively after those 4.  

Hunter is most definitely not weak on D. Then there's Green, once back, far from weak. Can't really tell yet with TJD, early games against mismatched opponents.

35 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hunter is most definitely not weak on D. Then there's Green, once back, far from weak. Can't really tell yet with TJD, early games against mismatched opponents.

What I like about TJD’s defense so far is his ability to block shots without fouling. Rare for a freshman big. He also often comes away with the ball as a block/steal

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

What I like about TJD’s defense so far is his ability to block shots without fouling. Rare for a freshman big. He also often comes away with the ball as a block/steal

I really like what I'm seeing from him as well, and am beginning to think of him (hopefully) as a Cody-level frosh. His ceiling looks really high right now. Just hard to guage how well he will be able to defend etc. against B1G level bigs, hasn't really been tested yet, but I agree his footwork and positioning so far is solid.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't know if it's an oversight, but Al Durham has been excellent on D. After adding hoopster's 2, that is 7 rotation player who are strong on D. Pretty good if you ask me.

IU is 168th in the country in PPG allowed, and that is with playing 3 cupcakes.  

Devonte has not played and was not part of my analysis.

Al has a defensive rating above 100 (100 is considered average and the lower the better).  Of our 10 players that have played, Al's rating only beats Damezi and Armaan.  

Trayce, Race, and Justin, in that order, have our best defensive ratings.

Trayce, Race, and De'Ron have our only positive Defensive Box Plus/Minus ratings.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I actually think IU is, or will be, a pretty good shooting team this year. Not to the level of a couple of those Crean years of course, but I think gone are the days of shooting being a huge liability for this team. We now have the right guys taking the shot, more guys that can hit, and improvements from the returning guys. Gone are Langford and Morgan, who were the highest volume guys and the worst shooters. 

I think between Green and Phinisee when their healthy, Durham's improvement (which at least as far as 3pt shooting goes has been somewhat Oladipo-like), Anderson settling down and Hunter regaining his confidence, IU is a pretty solid shooting team. Unlike last year, so far we don't have guys trying to prove they can hit, we have guys that can hit it taking the 3 in the right spots. 

Again, this isn't going to be the level of a Crean team and there isn't a JBJ or Zeisloft out there, but this team is fairly deep with guys that can confidently hit the 3. I wouldn't be surprised if IU ends up with 3 guys at 38ish% or above (Green, Durham and Phinisee) and another couple guys (Hunter and maybe Anderson) at above 35%. 

A few takeaways from the game:

- Of course you want to be hitting on all cylinders, but that's pretty rare in November. I'd take it this way (offense looking good, defense struggling) over the reverse. We know Archie can get a team to play defense and will get that end worked out. He's too good not too. I'm encouraged and excited that the offense looks good, we seem to have much improved shooting, better ball movement and better people movement. Look out once they get straight on D.

- I absolutely loved what we saw from TJD last night, especially in the second half. You could tell that Archie lit into him (in a positive way) at half time about being more aggressive. He seemed passive, understandably for a freshmen) the first two game, but if we get the second half TJD with continued improvement, this is going to be a good team. 

- Love the confidence Al Durham is playing with. His shooting has improved incredibly over the last two years. Can we stop with the 'nobody's shooting has improved under Archie?'

- Can't wait for Phinisee to be 100%. He is the guy that stirs the drink, and while he isn't playing perfect, I also love the confidence he's playing with. 

- We looked so slow defensively on the perimeter and seemed very confused with some of the rotations. A lot of guys late, etc. Again, I have full confidence that Archie will clean that up, and some of it is just experience for guys like TJD, Franklin, Hunter, Thompson, Anderson, etc.

- So nice to have several guys that as a fan watching you're really confident when they shoot from deep and/or the free throw line. 

- Love Race Thompson. Not sure what his role ultimately ends up being, but that guy is just a winner and a player. He's always around the ball, always hustling, etc. I'd love to see him gain some confidence offensively, not really sure what he can provide on that end besides offensive rebounding, but it's going to be difficult to keep him off the court.

- Was so happy seeing Hunter knock those shots down. Wow, if this kid shakes the rust completely off, look out.

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU is 168th in the country in PPG allowed, and that is with playing 3 cupcakes.  

Devonte has not played and was not part of my analysis.

Al has a defensive rating above 100 (100 is considered average and the lower the better).  Of our 10 players that have played, Al's rating only beats Damezi and Armaan.  

Trayce, Race, and Justin, in that order, have our best defensive ratings.

Trayce, Race, and De'Ron have our only positive Defensive Box Plus/Minus ratings.

Really don't think you can draw conclusions on where we 'rank' right now. It's pretty clear the team has a ways to go to get their defensive positioning down with the added players and sets -- but that looks like it comes from figuring things out early, not ability or mindsets, and Green's D will absolutely change things. Smith is definitely a very good defender. TJD's early showings are promising, but against inferior front court players. Guys like Hunter, and Rob (again not 100%) are good defenders.

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

- Was so happy seeing Hunter knock those shots down. Wow, if this kid shakes the rust completely off, look out.

Me too...even more excited to see Damezi showing the stroke he's always showed in warm-ups.  Just so nice to see kids who've faced some adversity really gear up and start playing like we knew they could.

Archived