Indiana High School Basketball (2019-2020)

5fouls

34 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Feb. 16, and Bloomington South is 20-0, with three games remaining. 

Question.  Can they, will they complete a perfect season ?

Well, Mile, I was working on a very detailed response for you that broke down a lot of potential tournament matchups and lost it when I closed my browser by accident.  I'm too frustrated to re-type everything, so here is my much shorter summary.

• They most certainly will finish the regular season undefeated.
  • Their sectional has some potential obstacles
  • Their potential regional opponents are flawed
  • In the semi-state, they would likely be facing the winner of Sectional #10, which features 6 of the top 17 Sagarin ratings in the state.  For the sake of argument, let's say Lawrence Central comes out of there.  Central has two Power 5 recruits (Dre Davis going to Louisville and Nigel Pack to Kansas State) and D'Ante Davis, a sophomore, who is also being recruited by Power 5 schools, including Indiana. 
  • I've seen both play this year as Silver Creek played both Bloomington South and Lawrence Central, losing to both, but in very different fashion.  South pulled out a victory against Silver Creek on some clutch shooting in the last 90 seconds, capped by a Leal 3 with less than a second left on the clock.  Lawrence Central dominated Silver Creek winning by 33.    
  • While I don't think Lawrence Central would beat South by 33, I also see very little chance of South beating Central.  Central is just too talented and athletic for them.  While the top 2-3 positions might be standoffs, Central is significantly stronger in spots 4-7 on the depth chart.

So, no, they will not be an undefeated State Champion unless the seas part and they face an unexpected opponent in the semi-state.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Well, Mile, I was working on a very detailed response for you that broke down a lot of potential tournament matchups and lost it when I closed my browser by accident.  I'm too frustrated to re-type everything, so here is my much shorter summary.

• In the semi-state, they would likely be facing the winner of Sectional #10, which features 6 of the top 17 Sagarin ratings in the state.  For the sake of argument, let's say Lawrence Central comes out of there.  Central has two Power 5 recruits (Dre Davis going to Louisville and Nigel Pack to Kansas State) and D'Ante Davis, a sophomore, who is also being recruited by Power 5 schools, including Indiana. 
  • I've seen both play this year as Silver Creek played both Bloomington South and Lawrence Central, losing to both, but in very different fashion.  South pulled out a victory against Silver Creek on some clutch shooting in the last 90 seconds, capped by a Leal 3 with less than a second left on the clock.  Lawrence Central dominated Silver Creek winning by 33.    
  • While I don't think Lawrence Central would beat South by 33, I also see very little chance of South beating Central.  Central is just too talented and athletic for them.  While the top 2-3 positions might be standoffs, Central is significantly stronger in spots 4-7 on the depth chart.

So, no, they will not be an undefeated State Champion unless the seas part and they face an unexpected opponent in the semi-state.

Very good analysis. Thanks for the reply.  Understand the frustration of compiling a lengthy response.... only for it not to post.  Been there. Done that.

Regardless of how Bloomington South finishes. Is Anthony Leal the state player of the year ?

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Very good analysis. Thanks for the reply.  Understand the frustration of compiling a lengthy response.... only for it not to post.  Been there. Done that.

Regardless of how Bloomington South finishes. Is Anthony Leal the state player of the year ?

I haven't seen Leal play, this year, but I was really impressed with Galloway 's game against Attucks. 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Great synopsis and break down.

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You had a version more detailed than that?

The one you posted was great...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You had a version more detailed than that?

The one you posted was great...

My original went into a lot more detail on potential sectional and regional opponents.  I cut that out, and gave South the benefit of the doubt that they would make it to semi-state in the version I posted instead of accidentally deleting.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I wonder what the odds are of Galloway and Leal matching up in the title game?

The IHSAA laid a Leal/Galloway matchup on a platter for us earlier in the year at the Southport Tipoff Forum, and Galloway went and got hurt on us.  I for, one was really wanting to see that matchup.  I was there, so I actually got the game, just not the player matchup.  

I've seen South play 3 times this year (against New Albany, Culver, and Silver Creek) and just don't think the odds are very good against either of the Lawrence schools, and Brownsburg would be tough as well.

Culver has a legit shot to get there.  They did not look good at all when I saw them play South, but that was without Galloway.  Their win over Attucks this past week was impressive.  Their main competition will probably be from the Sectional 8 winner, which would likely be either Hamilton Southeastern or Carmel.  I saw both of those teams play in Southport as well.  Carmel dominated Reitz that day, but Reitz just isn't any good.  Hamilton Southeastern did not play particularly well that day, but still cruised past Gary West.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The IHSAA laid a Leal/Galloway matchup on a platter for us earlier in the year at the Southport Tipoff Forum, and Galloway went and got hurt on us.  I for, one was really wanting to see that matchup.  I was there, so I actually got the game, just not the player matchup.  

I've seen South play 3 times this year (against New Albany, Culver, and Silver Creek) and just don't think the odds are very good against either of the Lawrence schools, and Brownsburg would be tough as well.

Culver has a legit shot to get there.  They did not look good at all when I saw them play South, but that was without Galloway.  Their win over Attucks this past week was impressive.  Their main competition will probably be from the Sectional 8 winner, which would likely be either Hamilton Southeastern or Carmel.  I saw both of those teams play in Southport as well.  Carmel dominated Reitz that day, but Reitz just isn't any good.  Hamilton Southeastern did not play particularly well that day, but still cruised past Gary West.  

A couple of FW schools are flying under the radar and that would be Snider and Carroll.  We all know about Homestead.  But since Trey's return it seems CA has been on a mission.  As a matter of fact his return sparked Warsaw's free fall.  But TBH I have no idea about those "Region" schools that might stand in the way or the South Bend schools either because of the lack of media coverage on the airwaves here.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

A couple of FW schools are flying under the radar and that would be Snider and Carroll.  We all know about Homestead.  But since Trey's return it seems CA has been on a mission.  As a matter of fact his return sparked Warsaw's free fall.  But TBH I have no idea about those "Region" schools that might stand in the way or the South Bend schools either because of the lack of media coverage on the airwaves here.

Chesterton and Munster are actually both ranked ahead of Culver in the AP Poll.  But, neither of their schedules compares to the one Culver has played, and Culver seems to be playing so well right now, I would be surprised if either beat Culver in the tournament.  Culver has the added benefit of a whole lot of deep tournament experience.  

I probably should not have discounted Lafayette Jeff though.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Chesterton and Munster are actually both ranked ahead of Culver in the AP Poll.  But, neither of their schedules compares to the one Culver has played, and Culver seems to be playing so well right now, I would be surprised if either beat Culver in the tournament.  Culver has the added benefit of a whole lot of deep tournament experience.  

I probably should not have discounted Lafayette Jeff though.

I am pretty sure that Chesterton has Valpo coming up.  Warsaw beat Valpo, and CA man-handled Warsaw so that will give me an idea about the "Novers".  

Just got word that Southwestern Hanover coach Jerry Bomholt resigns effective immediately.  Story goes that after the Rebels defeated South Decatur coach walked into the locker room to find team celebrating a big victory coach apparently told them we have done nothing all you did was beat crappy old south Decatur.  Couple upperclassman confronted coach said you have this team miserable let us enjoy it. He did not like the comment so the players went to administration and said he goes we stay he stays we go.

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just got word that Southwestern Hanover coach Jerry Bomholt resigns effective immediately.  Story goes that after the Rebels defeated South Decatur coach walked into the locker room to find team celebrating a big victory coach apparently told them we have done nothing all you did was beat crappy old south Decatur.  Couple upperclassman confronted coach said you have this team miserable let us enjoy it. He did not like the comment so the players went to administration and said he goes we stay he stays we go.

Sounds like some more entitled kids running every thing

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The perception the last couple of years is that Southwestern has underachieved.  Disconnect between players and coach will do that to a team.  Not going to speculate who is right and who is wrong.  

Your statements are very on point. I know people on both sides of it and that's why.i reported what I heard and not my opinion on it

32 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why does this name sound familiar?  Hmmmm.

But yeah, these are the kinds of situations that leaves you scratching your head.

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Your statements are very on point. I know people on both sides of it and that's why.i reported what I heard and not my opinion on it

Hard to say with no context so that is all we can do. I do know if somehow I was one of those kids that had done that...the next day my dad would have had me by the ear in that very same office to apologize. It is just sad it came to that honestly. Kids should enjoy their HS years...and yet also a coach shouldn't fear his players. Communication certainly wasn't very good. Hate to see a man lose his job but who knows...maybe there was a good reason to part ways. Hopefully the young men don't think the rest of the world works like that...they might get an unpleasant shock when they start working for "THE MAN".

On 2/17/2020 at 10:59 AM, rico said:

I am pretty sure that Chesterton has Valpo coming up.  Warsaw beat Valpo, and CA man-handled Warsaw so that will give me an idea about the "Novers".  

Chesterton over Valpo  54-51

Carroll over Homestead  61-53

Wabash over Whitko  71-48

SB Adams over SB Riley  61-55

Archived