Indiana High School Basketball (2019-2020)

5fouls

2 hours ago, rico said:

I heard something this morning I found hard to believe.  New Haven has never won a regional title.  They have been playing in the tournament since 1922.

Small school down south, Crothersville, won their first sectional ever this year.  Been trying for about 100 years.

The kind of feel good story that makes the tournament special.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Small school down south, Crothersville, won their first sectional ever this year.  Been trying for about 100 years.

Never heard of them...had to look them up.  Wow it is actually over a 100 years, since 1912 if I read it correctly.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Crothersville is from my county. Funny story actually dated their HC's daughter. Wow she was hot. 

Anyways... he's a great dude, and I'm happy for him and the community. 

29 minutes ago, rico said:

Never heard of them...had to look them up.  Wow it is actually over a 100 years, since 1912 if I read it correctly.

And if I'm reading the headlines correctly their girls program won first ever sectional 3 years ago? Only been to Crothersville once. Out of all places some guy down there made a part for nascar chassis back in the late 90's.

Really cool story for community and one they'll always remember. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

And if I'm reading the headlines correctly their girls program won first ever sectional 3 years ago? Only been to Crothersville once. Out of all places some guy down there made a part for nascar chassis back in the late 90's.

Really cool story for community and one they'll always remember. 

Correct. 

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Love it.  Screw New Haven, lol.

No Bulldog love?  LOL  I heard that about New Haven and had to look it up.  Their 1st sectional title came in 1991.  They actually made it to the regional   championship where they faced...the Whitko Wildcats!  My 'Cats stomped them(by 1 point) on their way to the FF and to get chewed up by the Big Dog.  

I will say.. it's been pretty cool the last couple of years having Romeo, Trayce, Leal/Lander, and then hopefully next year Kaufman to follow in the tourney. I know towns in Southern Indiana that host the sectional/regional/semi state absolutely love it. 

I think Tribtown from Seymour did an article and they guessed Romeo/NA had made them over $1million over his 4 years. 

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, with every other state taking extreme measures to address the virus, will the State of Indiana not allow fans to attend the state tourney, or possibly cancel it all together if schools are shuttered.

Ohio is limiting attendance to family members

https://www.ideastream.org/news/ohsaa-limits-crowds-at-high-school-athletic-events

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, with every other state taking extreme measures to address the virus, will the State of Indiana not allow fans to attend the state tourney, or possibly cancel it all together if schools are shuttered.

I would assume that perhaps the IHSAA will closely follow what the NCAA does?

14 minutes ago, rico said:

I would assume that perhaps the IHSAA will closely follow what the NCAA does?

The Rudy Gobert thing is a game changer.  Would have leaned heavily to the no fan approach prior to that.  I'm leaning towards no games now.

However, unlike the NCAA, which will be a straight cancellation, I see the IHSAA taking a 'hiatus' approach and looking to resume in April if things stabilize.  

2 minutes ago, bryan200088 said:

IHSAA holding a news conference at noon today

72 hours ago I thought no big thing. Now I'm leaning towards more caution. Is there a reason the teams couldn't take a break and finish tourney in April? Seems to me to be a no brainer for high schools. College or pro sports I get the TV part of this but for high school?

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Rudy Gobert thing is a game changer.  Would have leaned heavily to the no fan approach prior to that.  I'm leaning towards no games now.

However, unlike the NCAA, which will be a straight cancellation, I see the IHSAA taking a 'hiatus' approach and looking to resume in April if things stabilize.  

I think that is the most reasonable approach. NCAA is different because of the dates for players going pro etc etc..maybe there is a waiver but I see the NCAA shutting it down all together.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I wonder if that’s going to hold in view of the rest of the sports world.  I won’t be surprised if this gets changed. 

Logistics are different.  No flying.  Minimal locations to keep clean, etc.  I think fanless arenas work.  

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Logistics are different.  No flying.  Minimal locations to keep clean, etc.  I think fanless arenas work.  

I didn’t realize it’s fanless. Even then, they are out of step with the rest of the sporting world. You could still have transmission between administrators, coaches, players, officials, family, etc.  I assume they have gotten qualified and sober epidemiological and medical advice.

The memory of your tournament experience is for life, especially at the high school level where you’re not corrupted by being in a billion dollar industry.  Tough thing to give up so a reasoned analysis is warranted. 

But, unlike college, you could theoretically play in May because school is still rolling.  

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Hope you’re right 

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I didn’t realize it’s fanless. Even then, they are out of step with the rest of the sporting world. You could still have transmission between administrators, coaches, players, officials, family, etc.  I assume they have gotten qualified and sober epidemiological and medical advice.

The memory of your tournament experience is for life, especially at the high school level where you’re not corrupted by being in a billion dollar industry.  Tough thing to give up so a reasoned analysis is warranted. 

But, unlike college, you could theoretically play in May because school is still rolling.  

Agreed ...if it is something that needs to be stopped I hope they don’t cancel I hope they just postpone ...it looks like Ohio and Michigan both cancelled outright and now Indy schools have closed for several weeks 🤦‍♂️

Archived