Indiana High School Basketball (2019-2020)

5fouls

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Correct. 

Kids do move in once a program is established. We've had it happen in football. Never ONCE have we recruited someone to come to our school and play ball. 

I was attacked first...I’m not going to sit here and argue it’s childish. I’m not the least bit jealous...I just know for a fact one of the players literally lived with a coach or at his property. I do believe that is stepping across the line, actually leaping. It’s fine if a kid moves in, but true recruiting shouldn’t be happening at the high school level is all I am saying. I’m not trying to attack anyone. I posted my thoughts and btown jumped all over me and called me jealous, but I’m the bad guy? Makes sense. I’m done with this here. I am just saying there are some rules being broken, if they get caught I won’t feel bad.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I was attacked first...I’m not going to sit here and argue it’s childish. I’m not the least bit jealous...I just know for a fact one of the players literally lived with a coach or at his property. I do believe that is stepping across the line, actually leaping. It’s fine if a kid moves in, but true recruiting shouldn’t be happening at the high school level is all I am saying. I’m not trying to attack anyone. I posted my thoughts and btown jumped all over me and called me jealous, but I’m the bad guy? Makes sense. I’m done with this here. I am just saying there are some rules being broken, if they get caught I won’t feel bad.

You know of a fact... "lived with a coach OR at his property" but you know for a fact? There's nothing factual there at all. You also said you "heard" this stuff at one point, my god man. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You know of a fact... "lived with a coach OR at his property" but you know for a fact? There's nothing factual there at all. You also said you "heard" this stuff at one point, my god man. 

Look I joined this page to read the IU content. I’m going to stop posting about high school basketball...it neither here nor there. Doesn’t matter if I’m right or you are. Carry on and let’s go IU

21 hours ago, btownqb said:

Then those other schools need to.be better. 

Well Union Dugger my old school closed...so nothing wrong there....it's natural to go to Linton which is much closer for those students then North Central and it doesn't hurt that the Coach is from your school. Also doesn't hurt that the assistant and JV coach is Marty Hale also a great basketball player at Union in his day and his son Lincoln is a lower level d1 kid likely. Joey coached at Shakamak before Linton so he has ties to the area....lots of ties. Thing is these are all tiny schools that would normally have 1 or 2 good players maybe with the rest of the roster filled out with kids that know the game but not talented. Most of the schools are all in the same county and I'm not even sure what the rules are about transferring schools but I doubt they even have to move...just take the kids to the school a few miles away. It is natural if you have a pretty good kid to send him to a school that has a chance to have success and maybe get a few looks from say some Div2 scouts etc. Money thing is hilarious...there is no money in that county lol...but recruiting a kid...absolutely...no doubt Joey works over the parents etc to convince them to move kids...Joey can be very charming and is a very very talented coach. If he talks...most should listen.

Final thing about Linton. My best friend in HS was a really good football player. Dugger was the smallest public school in the state with a football program. A great year was a 500 season and we traveled...I mean traveled all over the state to find competition in our size. My friend's dad absolutely moved his kid to Linton because it had a great football program. If he wanted to put together tape to get a scholarship he had to do it honestly. Nobody held it against him nor would our school try to stop him from achieving a better future for himself. He got his football scholarship and no one was upset. Great family and a great situation where our administration worked with another school for the betterment of the CHILD...and not worried about what parents or teachers say. Does this also happen for basketball...absolutely. I've seen talented kids move because they couldn't be offered the proper AP classes because there wasn't a qualified teacher at one school. This stuff happens a lot at small schools with never a peep because for the most part it goes unnoticed. Fact here is Linton is getting a lot of positive attention for their athletic program and now people are taking a shot at them.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Final thing about Linton. My best friend in HS was a really good football player. Dugger was the smallest public school in the state with a football program. A great year was a 500 season and we traveled...I mean traveled all over the state to find competition in our size. My friend's dad absolutely moved his kid to Linton because it had a great football program. If he wanted to put together tape to get a scholarship he had to do it honestly. Nobody held it against him nor would our school try to stop him from achieving a better future for himself. He got his football scholarship and no one was upset. Great family and a great situation where our administration worked with another school for the betterment of the CHILD...and not worried about what parents or teachers say. Does this also happen for basketball...absolutely. I've seen talented kids move because they couldn't be offered the proper AP classes because there wasn't a qualified teacher at one school. This stuff happens a lot at small schools with never a peep because for the most part it goes unnoticed. Fact here is Linton is getting a lot of positive attention for their athletic program and now people are taking a shot at them.

If it’s academics or even the team for sure...I think I know who you are...I went to Clay City, may have played some ball with you. It’s the kid from NV that seems shady from what I hear...but I could really care less, just passing info.

50 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

If it’s academics or even the team for sure...I think I know who you are...I went to Clay City, may have played some ball with you. It’s the kid from NV that seems shady from what I hear...but I could really care less, just passing info.

Yeah I haven't lived in Indiana for almost 15 years. My cousin has coached football and baseball over the years at North Central, Union, and Shakamak. Obviously he knows Joey well and of course I played for Joe his father over 20 years ago. I don't know the specifics of every kid on the team obviously as I'm not that close anymore but my time with Joey and his father he is a great basketball coach. I'd say Joey doesn't go out trying to actively recruit kids...but obviously his and his fathers ties to Bloomfield, Dugger, Shakamak, etc would mean he has a relationship with lots of people in those communities. People know what kind of program he runs, respects his ability as a coach, and often want their kids to go play for him. So would Joey listen and consider making a spot on his team for a parent that wants to move their kid....absolutely I don't think Joey would think twice about it. My cousin has said over the past few years some of the better kids in these other small schools have been starting to make their way over because they want to play at a successful program and afford their kid who many aren't going to be playing on elite AAU teams the ability to play on some bigger stages/tourneys etc where lower level colleges will absolutely scout. I probably did play against you I graduated in 97 so the thing is you know as well as I do that these schools we are talking about have a hard enough time even putting together a varsity team let alone affording a talented young kid to play with other talented kids that would allow him to be the best he could be. Here where I am in Florida we have school choice. So I see nothing wrong with a kid going to play basketball at a program that has distinguished itself at that or a girl going to a different school to play volleyball.... or to play the piano for that matter. I asked my cousin last year about how good things were going since they made the state finals and he said absolutely Joey has let kids come over into his program from the outside but he hasn't heard of anything "improper" being done to actively have a recruiting process there and to hide things and try to circumvent any rules. Would Linton have this run of success over the years without having some of these kids come aboard...probably not the streak but they absolutely would still be the best basketball program in the area. I didn't go there but I'm happy for their success...it speaks well of the quality of basketball that is played in our area of the state. I might be biased because my old school's finger prints with the coach and jv coach being alma maters at Dugger are now running things there and my school is closed so it's the only way we live on now but it's all I got lol. All I know is kids have been quietly moving schools for years and years to have opportunities at sports and academics...it's not something that concerns me that it is still happening. To put this on the level of say a much bigger school that actively finds jobs for parents and pays to move them etc...this is not that. Most of the schools are within 15-20 mins of each other and sometimes for the kids one school is even closer than their assigned school because they are all in rural Indiana. To make it out to be a scandal I think would be taking this a little too far (not that you claimed it was). To me I have not been told Joey or the staff are actively recruiting and compensating parents or even trying to sell them on playing there. It's simply a handful of kids over the past maybe ten years that see a good thing and want their kid to get the best coaching they can for them. Maybe I'm wrong....maybe Joe has kids living in the hayloft of a barn somewhere...but as fun a visual as that I think that might be taking this thing a little too far.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I haven't lived in Indiana for almost 15 years. My cousin has coached football and baseball over the years at North Central, Union, and Shakamak. Obviously he knows Joey well and of course I played for Joe his father over 20 years ago. I don't know the specifics of every kid on the team obviously as I'm not that close anymore but my time with Joey and his father he is a great basketball coach. I'd say Joey doesn't go out trying to actively recruit kids...but obviously his and his fathers ties to Bloomfield, Dugger, Shakamak, etc would mean he has a relationship with lots of people in those communities. People know what kind of program he runs, respects his ability as a coach, and often want their kids to go play for him. So would Joey listen and consider making a spot on his team for a parent that wants to move their kid....absolutely I don't think Joey would think twice about it. My cousin has said over the past few years some of the better kids in these other small schools have been starting to make their way over because they want to play at a successful program and afford their kid who many aren't going to be playing on elite AAU teams the ability to play on some bigger stages/tourneys etc where lower level colleges will absolutely scout. I probably did play against you I graduated in 97 so the thing is you know as well as I do that these schools we are talking about have a hard enough time even putting together a varsity team let alone affording a talented young kid to play with other talented kids that would allow him to be the best he could be. Here where I am in Florida we have school choice. So I see nothing wrong with a kid going to play basketball at a program that has distinguished itself at that or a girl going to a different school to play volleyball.... or to play the piano for that matter. I asked my cousin last year about how good things were going since they made the state finals and he said absolutely Joey has let kids come over into his program from the outside but he hasn't heard of anything "improper" being done to actively have a recruiting process there and to hide things and try to circumvent any rules. Would Linton have this run of success over the years without having some of these kids come aboard...probably not the streak but they absolutely would still be the best basketball program in the area. I didn't go there but I'm happy for their success...it speaks well of the quality of basketball that is played in our area of the state. I might be biased because my old school's finger prints with the coach and jv coach being alma maters at Dugger are now running things there and my school is closed so it's the only way we live on now but it's all I got lol. All I know is kids have been quietly moving schools for years and years to have opportunities at sports and academics...it's not something that concerns me that it is still happening. To put this on the level of say a much bigger school that actively finds jobs for parents and pays to move them etc...this is not that. Most of the schools are within 15-20 mins of each other and sometimes for the kids one school is even closer than their assigned school because they are all in rural Indiana. To make it out to be a scandal I think would be taking this a little too far (not that you claimed it was). To me I have not been told Joey or the staff are actively recruiting and compensating parents or even trying to sell them on playing there. It's simply a handful of kids over the past maybe ten years that see a good thing and want their kid to get the best coaching they can for them. Maybe I'm wrong....maybe Joe has kids living in the hayloft of a barn somewhere...but as fun a visual as that I think that might be taking this thing a little too far.

I hear ya and appreciate your thoughts...I can’t say that I know anything either, just what I’ve been told. Must be a cousin or brother I played against, I graduated in 07 from Clay City...I enjoy watching local teams go far in the state tourney

8 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I hear ya and appreciate your thoughts...I can’t say that I know anything either, just what I’ve been told. Must be a cousin or brother I played against, I graduated in 07 from Clay City...I enjoy watching local teams go far in the state tourney

Probably my younger brother...we all played basketball but by that time the program wasn't being coached by Joe Hart (Joey's dad) and I know my brother didn't have a lot of help...or heck even kids that cared. Like I said...a lot of other schools as well could barely put together a Varsity team much less a JV team.

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Probably my younger brother...we all played basketball but by that time the program wasn't being coached by Joe Hart (Joey's dad) and I know my brother didn't have a lot of help...or heck even kids that cared. Like I said...a lot of other schools as well could barely put together a Varsity team much less a JV team.

Schools go through those tough times..I remember watching Brody Boyd tear everyone up at Dugger

Having coached at a 1A school that hosted the sectional I know how awesome the full house is but I think here is a case for the IHSAA to step in. 

South Decatur plays in the 2A sectional at North Decatur.  The gym hold 1600. Each school was allotted 300 tickets. South sold tix to parents of players and cheerleaders,  coaches etc and only had 140 left. All were gone immediately once students could buy tickets. South has been averaging about 700 plus fans at road games and 1200 for home games. Since there will be no tix available the solution is that anyone that is in line to get in without tix at 10 min before tip off those people can buy any that might be available from people not showing up from a school eliminated etc..

The reason I have an issue is exactly 2 miles from North Decatur high is an empty Greensburg High School that holds 5500. I dont expect a sell out there but I could easily see 3000 people for the Friday night game assuming both North and South Decatur are playing. Milan and South Ripley both travel well also. I know nothing will change but for a lot of fans that have followed the Cougars all year will not have an opportunity to see them in Sectional.  Rant over

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Having coached at a 1A school that hosted the sectional I know how awesome the full house is but I think here is a case for the IHSAA to step in. 

South Decatur plays in the 2A sectional at North Decatur.  The gym hold 1600. Each school was allotted 300 tickets. South sold tix to parents of players and cheerleaders,  coaches etc and only had 140 left. All were gone immediately once students could buy tickets. South has been averaging about 700 plus fans at road games and 1200 for home games. Since there will be no tix available the solution is that anyone that is in line to get in without tix at 10 min before tip off those people can buy any that might be available from people not showing up from a school eliminated etc..

The reason I have an issue is exactly 2 miles from North Decatur high is an empty Greensburg High School that holds 5500. I dont expect a sell out there but I could easily see 3000 people for the Friday night game assuming both North and South Decatur are playing. Milan and South Ripley both travel well also. I know nothing will change but for a lot of fans that have followed the Cougars all year will not have an opportunity to see them in Sectional.  Rant over

Valid points.  I can't believe th he IHSAA isn't smart enough to take advantage of situations like this.  Greensburg could win as well by getting a percentage of the gate and/or all concessions.

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Valid points.  I can't believe th he IHSAA isn't smart enough to take advantage of situations like this.  Greensburg could win as well by getting a percentage of the gate and/or all concessions.

It's not a very complicated issue to figure out. Win win for everyone except maybe North Decatur having home court advantage.  Not sure it plays a big difference in sectional play

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They wouldn't get the gate, but definitely the concessions. Local businesses should be furious that it isn't at Greensburg HS. 

While we are on the subject of "neutral sites"... I still believe regional and semi state in football should be neutral site. I would make it somewhat centrally located and to me it would need to be a stadium that would have turf and stands on both sides. These sites would need to be agreed upon in the summer, just like the basketball sites. 

Both Bloomingtons, Both Columbus schools, Brownstown, Edgewood, and Seymour would be fantastic locations for these games. Other possible sites would include Jennings County, Southridge, Jasper, Mooresville, and Martinsville. 

2 years ago we played at Ev Memorial (they play their home games at Bosse)... that's over a 2hr drive for us and at their home field. Play that game in Jasper. Idk I know it's an off the wall idea, but I think it could work. 

46 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I thought there use to be a rule that a gym had to hold at least 2500 to host a sectional.

Archived