Indiana High School Basketball (2019-2020)

5fouls

10 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Joey has done really well there. He was successful at Shakamak prior . Played several rounds of gold at the Phil Harris golf course in Linton with the elder Joe Hart. Very good coach, great art teacher, good golfer better person. 

I agree. I grew up what I thought was middle class...later realized we would be considered poor. Joe would give me money and send me to go rent movies for his study halls and buy me a soda almost every day. I sucked in Art but I  was a straight A student so he would let me clean the art room for extra credit. Indeed he was a good artist know he has painted most of the floors/school mascots in the area. He coached a lot of good teams. Interesting enough after he retired he wrote a newspaper article about his favorite players to coach. He mentioned 3 or 4 and I was the only one that wasn’t a star. One of the nicest things anyone has ever said about my publicly lol. Joey coached me in B-team...also good coach and guy. Wish nothing but the best for them!

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1 Lawrence Central falls to #3 Lawrence North tonight.  This on the heels of beating Jeffersonville on Saturday.  With those two impressive wins, it will be interesting to see if Lawrence North can vault over #2 Bloomington South in the polls (assuming South beats Culver Academy on Saturday).

3 minutes ago, rico said:

An "Amish Shootout" tonight.  NorthWood at Westview.

What are all the Amish high schools up in that part of the state?  

In the Southwest part f the state, Barr-Reeve is the most prominent, with Northeast Dubois around there as well.  Not sure whether Loogootee still has a large population of Amish or not.   

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree. I grew up what I thought was middle class...later realized we would be considered poor. Joe would give me money and send me to go rent movies for his study halls and buy me a soda almost every day. I sucked in Art but I  was a straight A student so he would let me clean the art room for extra credit. Indeed he was a good artist know he has painted most of the floors/school mascots in the area. He coached a lot of good teams. Interesting enough after he retired he wrote a newspaper article about his favorite players to coach. He mentioned 3 or 4 and I was the only one that wasn’t a star. One of the nicest things anyone has ever said about my publicly lol. Joey coached me in B-team...also good coach and guy. Wish nothing but the best for them!

Thanks for sharing. Very cool story. I was floored when Joe told me about the art work for the gyms. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the Southwest part f the state, Barr-Reeve is the most prominent, with Northeast Dubois around there as well.  Not sure whether Loogootee still has a large population of Amish or not.   

Well of course NorthWood(Wakarusa/Nappanee) and Westview(Topeka/Shippshewana).

Big Amish community in the Leo/Grabill/Cedarville area just North of Fort Wayne.  

Another would be in Southern Adams county(Adams Central/South Adams?)  

Actually there are quite a few Amish in the South Whitley area(Whitko).

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A co worker of mine is a die hard Northeast Dubois guy so we talk about them often. To my knowledge I don’t think there are any Amish in that school. Barr-Reeve and North Davis big Amish schools.

4 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

A co worker of mine is a die hard Northeast Dubois guy so we talk about them often. To my knowledge I don’t think there are any Amish in that school. Barr-Reeve and North Davis big Amish schools.

Yeah.  You're right.  Typo on my part.  I knew what I meant.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:05 PM, 5fouls said:

Just heard an unconfirmed rumor that Trey Galloway has a broken wrist and will be out for a while.  

Don't know if it's broken or not but saw that it won't require surgery but he will be out for 3-4 weeks.  It is his right (shooting) wrist and to answer IUScott, yes I recall he had a wrist injury at the end of last season.

2 hours ago, IU4Ever said:

Don't know if it's broken or not but saw that it won't require surgery but he will be out for 3-4 weeks.  It is his right (shooting) wrist and to answer IUScott, yes I recall he had a wrist injury at the end of last season.

Good news...guess it’s time to get some work with the left hand.

I've provided some thoughts for Lander, Furst, Kaufman, Pierce Thomas, and Kooper Jacobi in the individual recruiting threads, but wanted to share some additional thoughts on the Southport Tipoff Classic yesterday.

• Yesterday's games were negatively impacted by injuries that kept players such as Jalen Washington and Trey Galloway from playing, but it is still a great event.  I would encourage anyone than can find the time to take it in one year.
  • I was looking at some of the historical results in the program and realized that in 2017, there were 6 former Hoosiers that played in this thing that season (Rob, Romeo, Trayce, Damezi, Galloway, and Jerome.  Throw in Eric Hunter and Keon Brooks, and where else outside of an AAU setting are you going to get to see so much talent.  
  • Southport started 3 Freshmen.  One really stood out to me.  6'2 guard AJ Dancler has a very bright future.  Fundamentally sound, made good decisions, could shoot the ball.  He's a name I would watch to hear more about over the next 2-3 years.  
  • A lot of the excitement was taken away from the Bloomington South versus Culver matchup due to Galloway's injury.  Leal started hot, but then absolutely disappeared.  He had some foul trouble, but it seems there is more to it than that.  This is the second time I've seen Leal play this season, and he has been 'quiet' both times.  He was more assertive as a sophomore when I saw him play against Silver Creek.  I'm not sure why this is, and maybe I've just caught a couple of games where that will inevitably happen over the course of the season, but it will be worth watching for the rest of the year.  
  • And, finally, with all the attention on the big names, I think the two players that made the biggest impression on the day were Kooper Jacobi and Pierce Thomas.  Both are skilled, smart, and play with great effort.  They are WINNING basketball players.  They will both be the kind of players in college that you'll say, "man I wish we had a guy like that."

Archived