Indiana High School Basketball (2019-2020)

5fouls

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Leal having strep throat adds some explanation to why he was kind of quiet on the night.  

I disagree with the write-up on Lander. I'll agree that it's obvious he has a lot of talent, but I do not agree that he 'showed' everyone what he had last night.  I do not think he was the 'leader' on the floor as they say in the article.   

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I've provided some thoughts for Lander, Furst, Kaufman, Pierce Thomas, and Kooper Jacobi in the individual recruiting threads, but wanted to share some additional thoughts on the Southport Tipoff Classic yesterday.

• Yesterday's games were negatively impacted by injuries that kept players such as Jalen Washington and Trey Galloway from playing, but it is still a great event.  I would encourage anyone than can find the time to take it in one year.
  • I was looking at some of the historical results in the program and realized that in 2017, there were 6 former Hoosiers that played in this thing that season (Rob, Romeo, Trayce, Damezi, Galloway, and Jerome.  Throw in Eric Hunter and Keon Brooks, and where else outside of an AAU setting are you going to get to see so much talent.  
  • Southport started 3 Freshmen.  One really stood out to me.  6'2 guard AJ Dancler has a very bright future.  Fundamentally sound, made good decisions, could shoot the ball.  He's a name I would watch to hear more about over the next 2-3 years.  
  • A lot of the excitement was taken away from the Bloomington South versus Culver matchup due to Galloway's injury.  Leal started hot, but then absolutely disappeared.  He had some foul trouble, but it seems there is more to it than that.  This is the second time I've seen Leal play this season, and he has been 'quiet' both times.  He was more assertive as a sophomore when I saw him play against Silver Creek.  I'm not sure why this is, and maybe I've just caught a couple of games where that will inevitably happen over the course of the season, but it will be worth watching for the rest of the year.  
  • And, finally, with all the attention on the big names, I think the two players that made the biggest impression on the day were Kooper Jacobi and Pierce Thomas.  Both are skilled, smart, and play with great effort.  They are WINNING basketball players.  They will both be the kind of players in college that you'll say, "man I wish we had a guy like that."

Any front runner predictions for Mr Basketball? Seems our streak may end this year.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Any front runner predictions for Mr Basketball? Seems our streak may end this year.

It's a strange year.  Jaden Ivey would probably have won it if he had not transferred to LaLum.  Galloway's injury takes him out of the equation.  And, you have 2 Lawrence Central teammates in Davis and Pack that take attention away from each other.  All of those seem to give Leal and inside track, and his team is certainly good enough to keep him in the spotlight, but he needs to show it on the big stage.  Rumor is he was sick last night, so that has to be taken into consideration.  One thing to keep an eye on is that Connor Hickman, Bloomington South's sharpshooter from deep went down last night with what appeared to be a bad ankle injury.  He had to be helped off the court and went directly to the locker room.  If Leal has to pick up that slack for an extended period of time, and South continues to win, it gives him more to stake his claim on.  

Not all alot of marquee matchups left on South's schedule.  They play Silver Creek in February, but don't play any of the big Indy schools, and not even Jeffersonville (which surprised me). 

He was one of my favorite teachers at North Side.  Excellent role model and human being. I wasn't talented enough to play BB in HS.  Loved to get him started talking about the previous Friday's BB game at the beginning of class.  He would get so caught up in it that we would often never get to our lesson for that day.  Great memories!  RIP.  I'm sure he's already assembling a team in heaven to coach.

Some very good games this weekend.  Just going off the Coaches Poll (all classes combined), here are some Top 20 matchups.

#2 Bloomington South travels to #8 Floyd Central on Saturday

#4 Silver Creek travels to #10 Jeffersonville on Friday

#9 Fort Wayne Blackhawk hosts #11 Culver Academy on Saturday

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Some very good games this weekend.  Just going off the Coaches Poll (all classes combined), here are some Top 20 matchups.

#2 Bloomington South travels to #8 Floyd Central on Saturday

#4 Silver Creek travels to #10 Jeffersonville on Friday

#9 Fort Wayne Blackhawk hosts #11 Culver Academy on Saturday

Look forward to the Watts/Kaufman matchup. Would love a first hand opinion. Be interesting to see if Watts can make that leap to our recruiting big board.

32 minutes ago, rico said:

I just saw in the precious Luke Brown thread what Blackford did to Elwood.  That is totally unacceptable in my opinion.  

I don't want to participate in that particular thread. Before I jump the gun though. Blackford was up 50 and had starters still in? Is that correct? I mean I expect that from Tom Izzo in 2018 when they were up 30 and had all starters in with 2 minutes to go......but I hold Indiana high school coaches in higher regard. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't want to participate in that particular thread. Before I jump the gun though. Blackford was up 50 and had starters still in? Is that correct? I mean I expect that from Tom Izzo in 2018 when they were up 30 and had all starters in with 2 minutes to go......but I hold Indiana high school coaches in higher regard. 

Yes and they were  up 60...

1 minute ago, rico said:

Yes and they were  up 60...

Thanks. Total bush league move. Trying to get extra points and get a player noticed early in the season against obvious inferior opponent isn't a good look. Makes me think less of the whole deal there which I didn't think was possible.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks. Total bush league move. Trying to get extra points and get a player noticed early in the season against obvious inferior opponent isn't a good look. Makes me think less of the whole deal there which I didn't think was possible.

It changed my whole look on Blackford and their program.  Geez, when I played and we knew we were going to play an inferior opponent my coach would dress some freshmen that weren't even on the JV team.  Could have used the game for experience for some younger players.  

Archived